To scoop or not to scoop

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

BillyGoat1977

To scoop or not to scoop

Post by BillyGoat1977 » Sat May 11, 2019 5:27 pm

This is my first post as an Orange owner. I have the Orange Crush 12 in white. I play an interesting pop metal rooting in nu metal, death metal, and 90s punk. Like Green Day meets Disturbed meets Carcass with a sprinkle of Manson. Imagine that. Very simple, d-tuned, catchy but heavy. I keep reading all over everywhere to get a tone that will work for me to crank the bass and cut the mids. Then I read all over everywhere to never do that--let the bass take the bottom end and crank the mids to stand out in a mix. I'm using as much distortion as possible from the amp and boosting with the BOSS SD-1. Any help in getting my EQ where it should be would be greatly appreciated. If I find a drummer and bassist I'll upgrade to the 60 or 120. Any tips on which is better for a new band just getting going? 60 should be enough right?
"While you sleep in Earthly delight, someone's flesh is rotting tonight." --Cardinal Copia (Ghost)

NJD3VIL77

Re: To scoop or not to scoop

Post by NJD3VIL77 » Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm

If it's just you by yourself set the tone controls to however you like them. Usually some type of scoop will sound good by itself. When playing with a bassist and drummer I'd say crank those mids and lower the bass. Low frequencies will be covered by the bass player anyway and the mids are where the guitar lies in the mix. Go with what sounds good to you, your ears alone will tell you.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat May 11, 2019 10:01 pm

NJD3VIL77 wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 6:41 pm
When playing with a bassist and drummer I'd say crank those mids and lower the bass. Low frequencies will be covered by the bass player anyway and the mids are where the guitar lies in the mix. Go with what sounds good to you, your ears alone will tell you.
i wish more guitarists understood this about where their frequencies sit in the mix.

Shawn Rock

Post by Shawn Rock » Mon May 20, 2019 12:26 am

2 great answers. Scoopy = poopy in a band mix... Sounds cool at home alone though sometimes.

Shawn Rock

Post by Shawn Rock » Mon May 20, 2019 10:01 am

Oh and power wise... If you are staying in the solid state camp go big. Get the 120. If going tube... 15 watts min... 30 to 50 watt is better if you need cleans. Also try using less gain than you think. The louder you go the less gain you need, especially to cut through and be big full clear sounding. Too much sounds thin and mushy at high volumes. Only my opinion though, your mileage may vary.