OR15 Demos. What am I missing?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Desmosedici

OR15 Demos. What am I missing?

Post by Desmosedici » Fri May 03, 2019 2:55 pm

Hi there
I’m a longtime owner of the OR15
I enjoy watching YouTube demos of the amp, but I don’t understand the volume (lack of) that is presented.
So I just watched one today where the fellow had the Gain at 11 o’clock and the Power at 1 o’clock, and the amp was quiet and as calm as a Hindu cow. The fellow continued through the range, and never got a nosebleed from the volume that mine would have issued.
There are so many demos like this, so I’m wondering what sort of trickery is involved here. Perhaps the guitar is turned all the way down, but there is no hum at all either.
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/P4dGBgogvTA

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: OR15 Demos. What am I missing?

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Fri May 03, 2019 7:18 pm

All Orange 15 watt amps are loud.

You can't tell how loud an amp is being played from a video.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 03, 2019 7:24 pm

Mic level, noise filtering.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Sat May 04, 2019 12:46 am

Trust us, Orange amps that are 15W are extremely loud. I have 5x Orange Terrors, 4x all tube Terrors and a 20W Micro Dark Terror. They cut thru the mix when I rehearse with a full band lineup which includes a hard hitting metalhead drummer, I don't need to dial the volume knob above 12 noon and only thru a 112 cab.

And if you plan on using one thru a 212 or 412 as I often do, it will be thunderous. Never go by what you hear on youtube demos, they are great for learning about gear but the audio can never bring across what that gear sounds in person no matter what audio hi-fi gadgets you're playing it thru. I am sure they employ noise filtering and audio enhancing when editing the clips.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat May 04, 2019 3:43 pm

Toby's demos are probably the best you can find on youtube. Orange should be paying him to demo their stuff. And he mics them all, tho i do not know what DAW he is using to record them. but more than likley he's using some kind of noise reduction at the very minimum. no way you're going to get an accurate representation of volume levels the way he is doing it. Tho' in one video you can see the camera shaking because of the volume of the amp, but you can't tell from the sound of the video itself.
this one in fact.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4a7EK-QNRs

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun May 05, 2019 10:37 am

Desmosedici wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 2:55 pm
Hi there
I’m a longtime owner of the OR15
I enjoy watching YouTube demos of the amp, but I don’t understand the volume (lack of) that is presented.
So I just watched one today where the fellow had the Gain at 11 o’clock and the Power at 1 o’clock, and the amp was quiet and as calm as a Hindu cow. The fellow continued through the range, and never got a nosebleed from the volume that mine would have issued.
There are so many demos like this, so I’m wondering what sort of trickery is involved here. Perhaps the guitar is turned all the way down, but there is no hum at all either.
Thoughts?

https://youtu.be/P4dGBgogvTA
You'd be surprised what good valves can do for overall hum, even at high gain level.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:35 am

I believe You Tube uses some compression on the audio for these amp demos. I watch amp demos frequently and only pay attention to the amps' particular tone characteristics and the features described. None of the videos will ever duplicate a live demonstration of an amp's volume levels.

adkguy07

JJJ

Post by JJJ » Sun May 05, 2019 3:00 pm

Because in decent demos they mic the amps up, so once gain and levels are set you don't really have any concept of how 'loud' the amp is, just what it sounds like at the volume they present to you. It's also why after they stop playing and start talking, it sounds like they're talking at the same level. In fact, in the room, the amp is as loud as you think it is and their vocal mic level is compensated for the video. If you used the same gain settings on all the mics, you couldn't hear the person talking, or the amp would clip to hell and sound like a can full of farts

Also, with the lack of hum, there's nothing stopping some post production cleaning up the signal a bit. They probably have noise gates and stuff while they record too, people put a lot of money into youtube gear demos because it sells stuff