Rockerverb 100 MKIII clean channel with OCD??

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

automatic8

Rockerverb 100 MKIII clean channel with OCD??

Post by automatic8 » Sun Apr 21, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi,
First post to the forum here. I have had my RV100 MKIII for about a year now. Love the amp overall. The built in attenuator was the real selling point being a longtime JCM800 2203 user. I have been trying to run the most simple set up possible and only using the the dirt channel's gain. While I do think it sounds great something seemed to be missing. I recently tried out my Fulltone OCD with the dirt channel and....wow! kept it just to the point of breakup and drove the pedals output all the way while keeping the gain all the way down. Fantastic! Has anyone out there tried this combo on the clean channel?? Am i crazy to think it sounds like a plexi?! Totally different than driving the dirt channel with the pedal but in a great way. Has that more uncompressed sounding breakup and more low end too. I cranked the clean channel all the way up while bringing down the overall volume with the attenuator and same pedal set up as I described for the dirty channel. Just wanted to see if there was anyone else out there running this set up? I almost feel cheated buying this am to only be using the clean channel :shock: Would love to hear some feedback. Thanks.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Re: Rockerverb 100 MKIII clean channel with OCD??

Post by mici88 » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:54 am

Good if it works for you. To be honest, with my Rockerverb MK1 50w on 6v6 I immediately stopped using any dirt pedals, because anything put up front kills Orange's unique character and tonality. Amp itself, Maybe a kind of clean boost like Spark Booster in front for little more sustain / saturation on lead parts and that is all I use, at least gain-wise.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:14 am

Yep set up like this your essentially using the OCD as a boost pedal, from the Orange amps I've used with my OCD (R30, AD30, R15) it really works well like this , I've also used mine set up for overdriven solo tones over a clean channel on my AD30hrc - it's a really versatile good sounding pedal.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:15 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:14 am
Yep set up like this your essentially using the OCD as a boost pedal, from the Orange amps I've used with my OCD (R30, AD30, R15) it really works well like this , I've also used mine set up for overdriven solo tones over a clean channel on my AD30htc - it's a really versatile good sounding pedal.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:05 am

The RV series clean channel is a fantastic old school non master volume amp.

Mine us a RV50 MKI, so no ppimv unlike the MKIII, so using it at breaking up point is pretty loud and not always possible. 8t sounds great though.

As you've noted, the clean channel is petty uncompressed in nature, as opposed to the fairly compressed gain channel.

Really great amps.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute