New Amp... Rockerverb 50 MKi VS Rocker 30

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

b80
Tiny Terror

New Amp... Rockerverb 50 MKi VS Rocker 30

Post by b80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 8:05 pm

Making the choice on a new amp head this weekend. It's between a Rockerverb 50 MKI and a Rocker 30. Both can be had for about the same price.

I play in a loud alternative rock/punk rock band. I don't use effects, other than a tuner and a Boss NS2 (if needed).

I play dirty 90% of the time. There are a small handful of parts that switch to clean-ish.

Who's had experiences with these? Share your thoughts and opinions!!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: New Amp... Rockerverb 50 MKi VS Rocker 30

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:00 pm

I’d say it’s a tough choice. Both great amps, although a bit different. If you want a versatile clean channel and effects loop go Rockerverb. The Natural channel on the Rocker is more about cranking it into the power amp. I owned a Rockerverb MKll, but prefer the Rocker. I seem to squeeze more character out of it. It’s not as compressed, not that the RV is really compressed, but theres less going on in the Rocker circuit and I think the guitars character is brought out more. But if you’re looking for something a bit tighter, the Rockerverb might do that better. If you can crank them up good I think you need to test them both that way to decide.

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:20 pm

Yeah, it would seem that either one would be a swell choice. Currently, I'm playing a Tiny Terror head. I love most of what it's giving me. Just need more power and a better EQ control. The level of gain from the TT is perfect.

I just want something that cuts and stays tight that I can crank up and play some loud rock songs with my guitars.
My band The Start Up
Spotify

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:28 pm

For what its worth, I’d say the Rocker has a similar “feel” to the Tiny Terror.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:51 am

Both great amps but both quite different so hopefully you can try either out before u buy and make a decision on your preferences. The Rv is voiced more for Hard Rock but is versatile more so than the rocker but the rocker dirty channel is voiced more classic although is a bit more punky in its nature and can be a bit of a beast there quite a volume difference between the dirty channel which is really loud and a much quieter natural channel.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Apr 17, 2019 9:33 pm

They're both ace and both pretty different.

The RV50 MKI has a great clean channel, and can cope pretty much any type of cleans. The 2 band EQ is interactive, so it can do mids only to totally scooped cleans and anything in between. Lovely old school fuzzy crunch when pushed into OD (really loud then).

The dirty channel is pretty smooth and super warm and thick. It will do light dirty blues to full on metal and liquid high gain lead. The dirty channel is quite compressed too.

The reverb is totally over the top, yet the best I've heard... it has a narrow likely useable range, but I love the extreme settings too. Super trippy.

The R30 despite the common name, has little to do with the Rockervetbs.
The clean channel has only 1 gain stage (2 stages for the RV), and stays clean until you get power valves overdrive, pretty late on. It can't match the dirty channel in terms of volume, though a clean boost can help there.
No EQ, though a nice NOS valve in V1 can make it shine alright. It's very well voiced. You just can't change the voicing unless you use EQ pedal or similar. Nice light crunch when maxed out, proper vintage early Zep tone.

The dirty channel..... is raw, fuzzy, thick. 3 gain stages instead of 4 cor the RV50. It'll do blues nicely.... but the RV50 does that a touch better. However the RV50 can't touch the R30 when it comes to balls to the wall rock tones. It's a beast. A modern, very vintage voiced, beast. It does stoner rock extremely well too. It begs for thick power chords.

I'm glad I have both. Both are very rewarding amps, in pretty different ways. You can play the same stuff through both.... but they will inspire you very differently.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:42 pm

Thanks for the opinions, so far. I'm still torn. They both seem like they'd work for me. ARGHHHH!!!!!

Ordering one tomorrow, last call for opinions!!
My band The Start Up
Spotify

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Apr 18, 2019 4:16 pm

Rocker 30 :D

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Apr 18, 2019 8:37 pm

Considering you mention rock / punk rock, the R30 might be better thanks to its rawer edgier crunch.

It'll be 2nd hand, you'll want to consider some new EL34 too most likely.
It's a cathode biased amp, so you can simply replace them.

If you can find a nice NOS for V1, I'd recommend it highly. It will brighten and bring more sparkle to the natural channel.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Fri Apr 19, 2019 9:47 pm

I had the RV50C MKI, and I must say it's pretty unique. It has a 6V6 based power stage, and some of the best gain I've heard. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but it also has a full-sized tube-driven reverb tank in there, which, while it has more verb than anyone can use, can also be brought down to normal levels of course. It also has some of the best reverb I've heard. The rocker is great, but for my money the RVMKI is the real magical one. The RV really sings with the gain dialed in correctly in tandem with the power stage. The only thing missing imho is a presence knob. Hope this helps.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 pm

On second thought, I vote Rockerverb. No wait...Rocker...then again Rockerverb is pretty sweet...but the Rocker does kick some serious ass...can you get both?

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 am

Jondog wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 11:24 pm
On second thought, I vote Rockerverb. No wait...Rocker...then again Rockerverb is pretty sweet...but the Rocker does kick some serious ass...can you get both?
Which is better... An Apple or a banana?

You need you try both before you know for sure.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Apr 20, 2019 10:08 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Apr 20, 2019 6:25 am
Jondog wrote:
Which is better... An Apple or a banana?

You need you try both before you know for sure.
Jondog wrote:
Obviously these are the correct answers.

Buy both/try both, sell the one you like the least/buy the one you like the most..... or sell a kidney and keep/buy them both. And then buy an AD30 too, because for the styles you've listed, it would be a great choice too. And getting 3 amps totally justifies selling a pretty useless kidney in my book.
Ant

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:42 pm

R30 also has auto biasing.

IMO all Orange dirt sounds nearly identical. If you need a clean channel, or require extreme versatility (cover bands, pop music, etc) then get the RV50MK1. Otherwise my vote goes R30. Better yet, save yourself some money and pickup a Tiny Terror.

Also check out the Rocker 15 Terror.

Luke
Orange Master

Post by Luke » Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:09 pm

So which one did get? :!: