I tried to like Orange

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

beninma

Re: I tried to like Orange

Post by beninma » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:09 pm

It probably depends on how long you play them, what your experience level is, how long it typically takes you to dial in a piece of gear and "get it", whether your pedals match up with the way Orange amps work, etc..

If I was super free with buying more amps I could see myself having gotten in the same situation as the OP... I'd only been playing about 2 years when I got my first Crush and about 2 and a half when I got my Rocker. If I was buying amps on a whim I might have moved on to something else quickly enough to have not put in the time to really figure out how to best use my Orange.

It's taken quite a while to come to grips with how to best use the Rocker for me... how to pair up pedals, how to set the amp up for my guitar, etc...

For me it seems a good lead sound is super easy to come by on the Orange, taming rhythm playing has taken me a lot longer. Depends on the kind of song and rhythm though.

Big thing for me I guess is setting up the dirty channel not that dirty for rhythm and then using a boost/drive to bring it up for dirtier sounds.. if I start with the dirty channel too dirty to begin with it feels like I'm limited on rhythm sounds. (And then there is "when do I use the clean channel instead for rhythm?" too.)

Seems like some of these questions are irrelevant with some other types of amps.

Sootio
Rocker

Post by Sootio » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:57 pm

Mystic38 wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:21 pm
I would just like to say that you didn't actually say what it was about Orange amps that you did not like..

But hey, I suppose 70% of the members of the Marshall forum could post exactly the same .. after all, it is very much more common than not for folk to have an "always on" OD pedal in front of a Marshall (or any amp)..leading to the obvious conclusion that they do not like the sound of their Marshall amp!...but they don't post that.. they adjust the tone with a pedal and get on with playing.

in your case, you have a Rocker 15.. did you ..turn the bass to 1, mids to 6 and treble to 10? then stick an OD in front of that?.. if you did it would start to sound "Marshall-esque".
If you stack two OD's then you are in Marshall lead territory.. but if you want some thump that Marshall cannot offer?.. just stick a plain clean boost in front of the R15 dirty channel.

I have Fender, Marshall and Orange amps... I use clean boosts, EQ and OD wherever and whenever to get the tone I am looking for at the time..

If i have trouble chasing a tone, i ask for help, but what i don't do is simply come to say "i don't get it"

NB__England wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 10:29 am
I could not get Orange to work for me and my experience has left me scratching my head wondering what the big deal is and am I missing a point here, is it the fact that I have relatively cheap orange gear and can't really expect it too sound that good no matter what I do with it?
I fully agree. I can't imagine not being able to get a sound out of an Orange.

NB__England

Post by NB__England » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:09 pm

To answer the few who did not take my comments personally and in response offer cheap jibes or even feel the need to retreat to the man cave and drink beer, I have played and still play the generic guitars, strat, tele, sg and les paul through my Oranges. There is an ever present low end muddiness that can not be dialed out, particularly on the very limiting "shape" control on the TH30. Yes, it is a thick tone compared to say a Marshall but my experience is that it is hard to use. My particular use being lead in a covers band, typical pub fare, requiring versatility.
When I asked for examples of well known mainstream artistes who are associated with Orange you all headed for the hills,the most plausible example anyone came up with was the rather tenuous Jimmy Page, apart from that, nothing concrete.
If you all enjoy your Orange experience that is great, sincerely pleased for you all but to my ears it is a very niche market, embraced, in the main, by obscure bands, to be different, to be Orange. And if you want decent sounds out of the amps Orange will sell you a parametric eq to make up for the poor tone straight out of the box.
Orange TH30 Head
Orange Rocker 15
2 - 2x12ppc Open back

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:51 pm

NB__England wrote:
Sat Feb 09, 2019 9:09 pm
To answer the few who did not take my comments personally and in response offer cheap jibes or even feel the need to retreat to the man cave and drink beer, I have played and still play the generic guitars, strat, tele, sg and les paul through my Oranges. There is an ever present low end muddiness that can not be dialed out, particularly on the very limiting "shape" control on the TH30. Yes, it is a thick tone compared to say a Marshall but my experience is that it is hard to use. My particular use being lead in a covers band, typical pub fare, requiring versatility.
When I asked for examples of well known mainstream artistes who are associated with Orange you all headed for the hills,the most plausible example anyone came up with was the rather tenuous Jimmy Page, apart from that, nothing concrete.
If you all enjoy your Orange experience that is great, sincerely pleased for you all but to my ears it is a very niche market, embraced, in the main, by obscure bands, to be different, to be Orange. And if you want decent sounds out of the amps Orange will sell you a parametric eq to make up for the poor tone straight out of the box.
You and anyone who might be interested; I posted a thread starter today on Technique With Orange Amps. It might help to answer your question on why would anyone like the Orange tone. I can relate to your original premis, just a bit. I was wondering if my playing style was a good match for my Dark Terror. As puzzled as I was about it for a period of several months, I finally figured out a way to make an Orange Dark Terror, (or any Orange amp) work for my purposes. I've attempted to describe it in my thread....

adkguy07

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Feb 09, 2019 10:20 pm

NB__England wrote:
Sure. Problem is, I can name lots of Orange artists but not anyone I know of using the TH30. I don't have that problem (muddiness) with any of my Oranges - what is the speaker in there? Are you using it on the floor or raising it up? If it's on the floor, try a stand or some way of raising it off the floor. That may help.

Gray
Orange Expert

Post by Gray » Sat Feb 09, 2019 11:31 pm

NB__England wrote:
You should probably buy whatever amps the bands you're covering used, it sounds like you probably have their guitars. Some of us are trying to do more than just sound like someone else and Orange doesn't have the conventional RAWK tone, which is a plus for me.

You can make any decent amp work for just about any style of music with the right settings and a certain amount of adaptability, the fact you've got a TH30 (which is easisly the most disliked amp around here) probably doesn't help, but it's got a decent clean sound.

Good luck with whatever you buy, you're allowed to own more than one amp.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:22 am

NB__England wrote:
You pretty much are the subtle king.

Want to know about Orange bands? Check out the Orange artists on their website. Some big names and smaller bands alike.

If they don't work for you, just move on. They work for me, and that's enough for me. I don't care to convince you otherwise.

It's a big world, go and be happy somewhere else. Plenty of amps around.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Mystic38
Orange Expert

Post by Mystic38 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:31 am

This is the most pleasant and friendly bunch of folk in any forum i frequent, but I am sorry.. but the cheap jibes started with you and your first post... so go look in the mirror to see why you got the responses you did.

Anyway, given how you refuse to engage in any discussion on improving your tone (something every guitarist does with every amp using pedals) then clearly the most sensible option for you is to sell the amps and move onto a brand that you think will make you happy.

NB__England wrote:
-Ian-

Orange Rocker 30c, PPC212 & PPC112, Fender DRRI, Marshall 2266
2012 Gibson LP Standard, 2001 Gibson LP DC Standard
2009 Fender Am. Standard Strat, 1999 Fender Am. Hardtail Strat
2014 G&L Fallout

***insert great photos of gear here***

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Feb 10, 2019 1:18 am

I thought I named some that were mainstream at one point or another that are not currently on the Orange artist list on the website. What is mainstream these days anyways? It’s a cheap topic anyways. I can enjoy a Marshall, Vox or Fender as much as an Orange, seriously. But I tell you what, I love digging into that E chord on an Orange :mrgreen:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Feb 10, 2019 2:01 am

BEER!

and locked for pointlessness.