courier services

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

makjoh

courier services

Post by makjoh » Thu Jan 31, 2019 10:57 am

Hi
Any recommendations on courier services in the UK? Looking at getting an Orange 4x12 cab delivered via ebay purchase. Anyone done this recently? And maybe give an indication as to approximate cost? Distance is approximately 200 miles.

Thanks

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: courier services

Post by bclaire » Thu Jan 31, 2019 11:39 am

Lots of options and the cost will be high. Check with DHL, UPS, etc.

The ebay seller will provide you with the cost. A forum is the wrong place to ask this...

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:02 pm

Here's a 4x12 for sale in the UK where the seller quotes shipping cost of 45 pounds.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-1972 ... 3367957341
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jan 31, 2019 3:19 pm

If you're selling, simply house one of the brokering courier sites, there are a few.

If you're buying, you have to make sure that the person is willing to package it right. Finding a service that will pack it for you on collection is near impossible.

Or call national furniture removal companies and ask them of they would pick it up for you on one of their trips- you would have to be super flexible date wise.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

makjoh

Post by makjoh » Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 pm

Got it delivered by parcelmonkey.com and DX couriers. 209 miles 46 kg in weight, a 4x12 cab......cost was £32 or £59 with insurance (they wont insure amplifiers, but will deliver at your own risk)

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Feb 09, 2019 2:18 am

makjoh wrote:
Fri Feb 08, 2019 9:57 pm
cost was £32 or £59 with insurance
Are we supposed to guess then?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

makjoh

Post by makjoh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 am

Maybe that wasn't clear enough.....delivery quoted was £32......if you wanted insured delivery it was £59.....but here is the catch, they will not insure amplifiers or guitar speaker cabs so I had the delivery without thinking that the cab is a pretty robust unit handled by roadies all over the world on long tours. How wrong I was !!! The cab was delivered with some cosmetic enhancements........ It appears a forklift truck has punctured the grille and continued through one of the celestion V 30's and knocking off the connecting jack at the back panel. I have yet to receive a full account of how this happened. I have stripped the cab down and with a new grille and a new celestion it will be up and running again. Could have been a lot worse... Yes I know.....lots of learning gathered throughout the whole process so no need for obvious replies. I hang my head in stupidity. The cost of a small claims court proceeding probably equals the cost of the damage. So bite the bullet and repair

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Bummer.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:52 pm

makjoh wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:42 am
Maybe that wasn't clear enough.....delivery quoted was £32......if you wanted insured delivery it was £59.....but here is the catch, they will not insure amplifiers or guitar speaker cabs so I had the delivery without thinking that the cab is a pretty robust unit handled by roadies all over the world on long tours. How wrong I was !!! The cab was delivered with some cosmetic enhancements........ It appears a forklift truck has punctured the grille and continued through one of the celestion V 30's and knocking off the connecting jack at the back panel. I have yet to receive a full account of how this happened. I have stripped the cab down and with a new grille and a new celestion it will be up and running again. Could have been a lot worse... Yes I know.....lots of learning gathered throughout the whole process so no need for obvious replies. I hang my head in stupidity. The cost of a small claims court proceeding probably equals the cost of the damage. So bite the bullet and repair
Oh man.... that sucks.....
At least you're getting a crash course in grill replacement. Is the baffle intact? Where you "lucky" enough that it just went through the speaker?

As a speaker cabinet, and not an amplifier, I imagine it could have been insured.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm

Regardless of insurance, any box with obvious damage should be refused and sent back.

makjoh

Post by makjoh » Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 pm

Yes...the speaker baffle is intact and everything else, with the exception of one speaker and the grille cloth. The grille cloth is being ordered from Orange but I've yet to decide on whether to put a brand new celestion v30 in there or a used one? And I had to take delivery of the cab to assess its full damage for the complaint, I'm hoping for a sense of fair play from the couriers parcelmonkey and DX.....they cover the cost of the speaker and grille and I provide the free labour.....maybe there's a clue in the name parcelmonkey.com?

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 14, 2019 6:01 pm

bclaire wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:03 pm
Regardless of insurance, any box with obvious damage should be refused and sent back.
According to the USPS, among other situations, if it's insured you can't refuse and have it sent back without paying return shipping:

"The following may not be refused and returned postage-free after delivery:
a. Pieces sent as Registered Mail, insured, Certified Mail, collect on delivery (COD), Adult Signature and return receipt for merchandise.
b. Response mail to the addressee’s sales promotion, solicitation, announcement, or other advertisement that was not refused when offered to the addressee."
https://pe.usps.com/text/dmm300/508.htm
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm

makjoh wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:58 pm
Yes...the speaker baffle is intact and everything else, with the exception of one speaker and the grille cloth. The grille cloth is being ordered from Orange but I've yet to decide on whether to put a brand new celestion v30 in there or a used one? And I had to take delivery of the cab to assess its full damage for the complaint, I'm hoping for a sense of fair play from the couriers parcelmonkey and DX.....they cover the cost of the speaker and grille and I provide the free labour.....maybe there's a clue in the name parcelmonkey.com?
The law in the UK is different to the US.
Even though it went uninsured, I believe they are still responsible for it - here, they have shown gross negligence for a client's possession in their care.

Anyway.... good luck with it all. Hopefully, once fixed, It'll be a great cab and will serve you well for many years.

I would try to source a 2nd hand V30 - they take for ever to break in fully, at least that way youd save sometimes. Could you get the fmaaged speaker reconed at all? Is the spider frame damaged too?
Ant

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:05 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:38 pm
The law in the UK is different to the US.
Even though it went uninsured, I believe they are still responsible for it - here, they have shown gross negligence for a client's possession in their care.
Not surprising that the law is different. Surprised though that the shipper would be responsible it it was uninsured. What's the point of paying for insurance then?
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

makjoh

Post by makjoh » Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:09 pm

Thats the route I am taking Les paul lover.....they tried fobbing me off for having not insured it, but when I reiterated that their policy did not allow guitar cabs to be insured and that their negligence caused the damage, they seemed to change their minds and sent me a company claim form..........more administrative chores!! Filled it in and now they want receipts of purchase, photos of damage and written estimates. No problem...happy to oblige.....the cabs are well built, took photos at every stage of dismantling. I'm impressed at the bolts with threaded inserts in which to bolt on the speakers to the baffle. Nice touch.