AD 140 HTC twin channel v AD140 Lead

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

makjoh

AD 140 HTC twin channel v AD140 Lead

Post by makjoh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 1:46 pm

I am seeing a few AD 140 HTC twin channel heads up for sale on ebay where they are being described as the "Best amplifier in the world" by guitarist magazine. But surely this accolade was only intended for the AD 140 Lead which appears to be a completely different beast? From what I can gather the AD 140 HTC twin channel is a production line model on pcb whereas the AD 140 Lead was a custom shop model hand built Mr Emsley? Has anyone been in the fortunate position to try these amps head to head? (Pun intended)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: AD 140 HTC twin channel v AD140 Lead

Post by bclaire » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:48 pm

I haven't but I own an AD140TC head and it's pretty awesome. Also pretty loud, especially with two 4X12's - so much so that I really only use my AD30TC combos. The sound of these is phenomenal - I'm sure the single channel head is great, too, but I couldn't see getting that when having two channels is so much more versatile.

makjoh

Re: AD 140 HTC twin channel v AD140 Lead

Post by makjoh » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:44 pm

I agree Billy, you have some fantastic gigging amps there....but the AD 140 lead hand built by Adrian Emsley is surely a nice piece to have in anyone's collection, be they musician or collector. It's just that the accolades given to the AD140 Lead have been seized upon by the owners of the AD140 HTC. Both are indeed fine sonic beasts, the former a hand built, hand wired amp the latter a production line model with more versatility. But what are, if any, the sonic differences between these amps?