Orange Crush 12 Just Hums

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Highvoltage

Orange Crush 12 Just Hums

Post by Highvoltage » Fri Jan 11, 2019 4:44 pm

Had this practice amp for just over a year. It powers on and emits a buzz/hum, no guitar sound, not even thru the headphone jack. I checked the cable, the guitar, the glass fuse and all are good. I also cleaned the input jack and still no guitar sound. Is there something else I could try that might bring this little amp back to life?
Thanks.

Sooner
Orange Master

Re: Orange Crush 12 Just Hums

Post by Sooner » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:11 pm

Probably just needs a hum job. :P

Welcome to the forum!
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Highvoltage

Post by Highvoltage » Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:27 pm

Thanks for putting out the welcome mat. :roll: :lol:

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:44 pm

My first thought was, maybe it doesn't know the words....

... but then I realised that that wasn't helpful.

It sounds like something may be wrong electronically inside. You could have a look yourself for anything obvious, but I have a feeling that if you were to take it to a tech it might be too expensive to repair compared to the cost of a new one.

Welcome to the forum!

(for future reference, duplicate posts are unnecessary. I deleted the other one...)

Highvoltage

Post by Highvoltage » Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 pm

OMG....the comedians on this board :lol: Dont quit your day job. :)

I pulled the amp and the circuit board out and did a visual. All of the soldering looked good, no cracks, discoloring or burn marks. I hate the thought of pitching it just because it might have a blown 10 cent component, and you're right about taking it to a tech. It's around $50 just for them to open it up. Lesson learned here....you get what you pay for.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:55 pm

Highvoltage wrote:
Sat Jan 12, 2019 4:49 pm
OMG....the comedians on this board :lol: Dont quit your day job. :)
I already quit my day job... :)

Most people here, if they have any knowledge at all, are more familiar with tube amps. There are a few that know about SS amps and maybe one will respond. I've heard several people talk about replacing the opamp chip, whatever that is. They're apparently pretty cheap and easy to replace.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jan 13, 2019 12:01 am

It's probably easy to fix..... but a pain to diagnose. That's really the issue here.

It's really unlucky, SS amps are usually super reliable at any price point really.

Realistically, I would write off its value and make it a project. It isn't working now, and getting a pro to fix it isn't economical.

Do you have any interest in electronics?
Try and test the speaker.
If you have a mutlimeter, you may be able to find out where something is failing.

As for solder/burnt components, solder points can fail and look good, a capacitor can fail and look not burnt.

The PCB is the last place where I'd suspect a component to go bad. If I were you, I'd try to check the connection/ solder joints to parts that are subject to stresses- input Jack and potentiometer.

Once you are sure those are all good, then consider investigating the pcb.

Good luck.
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Highvoltage

Post by Highvoltage » Sun Jan 13, 2019 7:30 pm

Thanks to all for the great advice and a few laughs, I think I'm gonna bite the bullet on this one and just pitch it.

Thanks again.

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Thu Jan 17, 2019 6:43 pm

I can't recall if the warranty on these are a year or more. If you're out of warranty, flip the board and look for cold solder joints. You can get a cheap multimeter at harbor freight or eBay. Check your speaker output and check your caps and resistors. Also look for pile of poop stains on or near all your components. Also, switch instrument leads Switch guitars, too. Always eliminate wild cards when diagnosing electronics.