Looking for my first Orange Amp but I've got some questions to you guys.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

LBirman

Looking for my first Orange Amp but I've got some questions to you guys.

Post by LBirman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 12:37 pm

Hey guys,

So Currently I have a Peavey Classic 30 which I cannot get along with.

I own a handmade "Tele+Strat" style "boutique" guitar which is very treble-lish, bright and dynamic. When I plug her into the Peavey, on rehearsals / medium+ gigs it gets to a point where I have to put mid + treble on 2 - 3 and bass on 7 while setting the volume on 3 (clean channel).

In the end it sounds a little dull and I really like bright and dynamic treble sounding amp while still having some crunch in it.

Previously, I owned a Bugera BC30 212 and the sound was best for my needs! But this amp weighs 33 KG + it is super big so i had to give up on it and sell it.

I need help with deciding what kind of amp I want + which one specifically. The only thing I know is that I want a combo amp ( yes.. :\ don't hate me for that)

The amp I am looking for will have several purposes so I have to get the one that will be the best in both worlds.

I play Classic Hard Rock / Blues / Progressive Rock / Funky Rock style with my friends / band. We perform mostly on Medium gigs. I need the amp to be good for medium gigs + rehearsals, while also allowing me to play at home with low volumes for practice (which is minor because you can always play at low volumes just for practice).

The most expensive amp I can afford for my budget (in my country's prices) is The Orange Tiny Terror 10 Combo Tube Amp 15W (about $822).

But actually, I was looking at the Pro 60W or 35 CRT instead.

So, Based on the sound I like:

Do you think I need an Orange Amp or something else?

Do you think I need a Tube Amp or a Solid State would be enough?

Which Orange amp Amp will be the best for me?

I will be at the store trying out the amps I've mentioned + some other Orange amps at Friday. I know that choosing an Amp / Guitar / Any instrument is all about being there and hearing it, but I still need your opinion and knowledge to help me straighten my mind.

Thank you guys. :)
Last edited by LBirman on Tue Dec 04, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Looking for my first Orange Amp but I've got some questions to you guys.

Post by bclaire » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:06 pm

What would be the best for you is probably out of your budget.

If weight is a concern, the TT combo is probably your best bet for an all-tube amp. When I think classic rock I think tubes not solid-state personally. I use an AD30TC combo, but the weight of that is pretty high - in the US so I don't understand kg. :mrgreen:

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm

I'm a little worried that you may find a 15W amp needs to be cranked a little too much for your gigging volume. Both your current and previous amps appear to be 30W.

It may be that you are forced down the solid state route if your budget doesn't cover a 30W valve amp. In which case the Orange CR120 has a lot of supporters!

A rough rule of thumb is that solid state amps need to be at least twice the wattage.

Billy,
33kg is nearly 73 lbs.

LBirman

Post by LBirman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:50 pm

PBA wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:39 pm
I'm a little worried that you may find a 15W amp needs to be cranked a little too much for your gigging volume. Both your current and previous amps appear to be 30W.

It may be that you are forced down the solid state route if your budget doesn't cover a 30W valve amp. In which case the Orange CR120 has a lot of supporters!

A rough rule of thumb is that solid state amps need to be at least twice the wattage.

Billy,
33kg is nearly 73 lbs.

Well, the wattage does not always determine the volume output. The bugera was twice the size and weight but thrice the volume output.

Either way, I wrote that I have used the 30w tube PV on volume 3 on clean channel. I think that 15w will be okay for me because you DO want to crank the amp. nobody wants a tube amp with volume below 60%..

The thing is that the 15w lacks reverb which is a big deal for me..

About the pro 120w, I think 60 will be enough in terms of volume. But the question is, will the amp stay bright and dynamic on 70 80% volume?

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm

If it was me, I would hold out for a used Rockerverb MKIII combo (if you are needing a combo).

It will be more but buy right and buy once. I am biased because it is my amp of choice for literally everything but it will do everything you described so well. Plus it sound great with Humbuckers or Single Coils.

It has an attenuator built in as well as power scaling so if you play at home, super easy to control. I have a TH30 (another one to check out for you) that scales down to 7 watts but the RV is way easier to control at bedroom volume.

The solid state oranges are pretty solid as well.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 pm

I’m confused. You say you like a bright sounding amp, but you also say that you’re running the treble knob extremely low, and that the sound is dull as a result.

Am I missing the reason why you don’t just turn the treble up? Don’t forget to utilize the tone control on your guitar. That knob is a very valuable tool on Fender style guitars. I usually find it’s best to set the amp to be nice and clear, and roll the guitar’s tone knob back to tame the top end.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

LBirman

Post by LBirman » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:44 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:36 pm
I’m confused. You say you like a bright sounding amp, but you also say that you’re running the treble knob extremely low, and that the sound is dull as a result.

Am I missing the reason why you don’t just turn the treble up? Don’t forget to utilize the tone control on your guitar. That knob is a very valuable tool on Fender style guitars. I usually find it’s best to set the amp to be nice and clear, and roll the guitar’s tone knob back to tame the top end.
I understand the confusion.
What I meant is, that I love bright sounds but with a bright amp + extra bright guitar, you cannot turn up mid and treble because it can hurt you ears.
If you sit directly in front of the amp, after 2 - 3 full chords with medium - high notes you just cannot take it anymore.

In my guitar, the knobs are even more dynamic and versatile than regular stock electronics, but it still is not enough..

https://youtu.be/NZJkT7Gj4XU

Go to 3:38. I am the guy on the right doing the middle-neck chords.
The sound is good, but if you ever heard my guitar with a more fitting amp, you would say that the sound is dull and bad compared to the "real" thing..
All the dynamics are lost there and it sounds like a big salad of sounds without the frequnecies split (I don't know how to call it in English.. The thing that makes you hear every string on its own while playing 6 string chords on crunchy tones. Basically the brightness..)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjSSFfX0EHk - Breaking Me Down - Soil. An example for a compressed tone which is bad IMO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_2D8Eo15wE - Black Betty - Ram Jam. An example for a clear sound despite being on a super crunchy tone with a humbucker.

I don't have any recording with the old amp though..

LBirman

Post by LBirman » Wed Dec 05, 2018 4:55 am

afjungemann wrote:
Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:27 pm
If it was me, I would hold out for a used Rockerverb MKIII combo (if you are needing a combo).

It will be more but buy right and buy once. I am biased because it is my amp of choice for literally everything but it will do everything you described so well. Plus it sound great with Humbuckers or Single Coils.

It has an attenuator built in as well as power scaling so if you play at home, super easy to control. I have a TH30 (another one to check out for you) that scales down to 7 watts but the RV is way easier to control at bedroom volume.

The solid state oranges are pretty solid as well.

The weight of mkIII is too much for me..
The th30 is out of my budget but I think someone is selling it used, I might check it out