Were there differences in OR-120s over the years?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Were there differences in OR-120s over the years?

Post by Tisca » Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm

There's a 1974 for sale locally, non-pics only. Was there any internal differences with the pics only and non-pics versions?
First yt review I watched said it's not a great pedal platform. Not sure if he meant because there's no effects loop.
Which vintage ones are popular with stoner/doom players?
Orange OR100
White LW100

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Re: Where there differences in OR-120s over the years?

Post by Tisca » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:14 pm

“The big difference between the Pics & Text and what came before was that the Pics & Text had a DC- coupling concertina phase splitter, which improved the sound.”

https://orangeamps.com/articles/extendi ... 1974-1976/
Orange OR100
White LW100

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Where there differences in OR-120s over the years?

Post by bclaire » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:13 pm

I don't think there is a specific one that's most popular...

For more info go to the Orange Amps Field Guide
www.orangefieldguide.com

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: Were there differences in OR-120s over the years?

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 am

Tisca wrote:
Wed Nov 28, 2018 5:21 pm
There's a 1974 for sale locally, non-pics only. Was there any internal differences with the pics only and non-pics versions?
First yt review I watched said it's not a great pedal platform. Not sure if he meant because there's no effects loop.
Which vintage ones are popular with stoner/doom players?
There were a number of circuit variations over the years, namely in the phase inverter and the tone stack. It can be difficult to determine exactly when things changed, and difficult to date a given amp. But generally, after they started naming the amps "OR-120" or "OR-80", things didn't change that much. The earlier 70's circuits have a bit more clean power and are a bit more punchy sounding, but with a smoother less fuzzy sound. The later amps break up earlier and have a more aggressive sounding overdrive, but are a bit looser sounding in their attack. Middle era amps, say '73 to '74 or so could be anyone's guess in terms of how they're wired. But the changes are small, and it's very easy to modify an amp to the early or later circuits if you prefer one over the other.

The 90's amps are identical to the late 70's circuits. They're ALL fantastic sounding amps. I have a soft spot for the 90's models, as they sound great, the build quality was more consistent, the wiring was neater, and they tend to sell for cheaper than the 70's units. They also tend to have less junk going on inside. Many of the 70's amps have modifications, and poor quality repairs they've gained over the years. You see that sort of thing less in the 90's amps, simply because they're newer. The transformers from the 90's amps were at nice, and that's about the only downfall they have over 70's units.

To answer your question, I personally don't think they are a great pedal platform, for a few reasons:
-Despite being very loud, they don't have a lot of clean headroom to work with if you want to start from a clean sound. This reduces their ability to sound good with modulation type effects as well.
-They have HUGE amounts of low end. So any dirt pedals tend to sound thin compared to the amp's natural sound.
-They have a ton of texture, especially when overdriven, and have a lot of midrange. Amps with a lot of fuzzy type texture, like an Orange, tend to sound messy when you mix that with the texture of an overdrive pedal.

It's not to say an OR-120 sounds *bad* with pedals. I use mine with them and it sounds just fine. They just don't sound particularly good with pedals. I have amps that blend extremely well with overdrive pedals and you can't even tell a pedal is being used. My old Oranges aren't one of those amps. I *do* like the sound of a Klon in front of my OR-80. But that's about it for dirt pedals.

And lastly, any of them are popular with stoner/doom players. They can all get that job done...be it at high volume with the natural overdrive of the amp.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Tisca
Tiny Terror

Post by Tisca » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 12:44 am
I have a soft spot for the 90's models
[/quote]

Good info, thx nick!
What model names do these 90's ones go by?
Orange OR100
White LW100

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:52 pm

OR-80, OR-120

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sun Dec 02, 2018 6:45 pm

Tisca wrote:
Sun Dec 02, 2018 2:35 pm
Good info, thx nick!
What model names do these 90's ones go by?
As Billy mentioned, the same as the 70's models: OR-80 and OR-120.

They look just like the 70's pics and text models. You need a discerning eye to tell the difference. They're so similar, I've seen 90's model listed as 70's, and vice versa.

70's models often have sloppy wiring, they just weren't soldered that cleanly. But the transformers and circuit boards are higher quality than the 90's ones. As mentioned earlier, 70's models often have poorly done modifications that need to be sorted out. And depending on the mains voltage where you live, most of the time the 70's models are running hot. They were designed when wall voltages were lower, so modern voltages make them run pretty hard. This is tough on the tubes due to the plate and screen grid voltages they put out now.

90's models have very clean and consistent wiring and nice parts. They're very neat builds. The PCBs are a little thinner and not as nice as the 70's models. The transformers aren't as nice. They are not as old, so usually they are as they were when they left the factory (usually, not always). They were built to run off modern mains voltage, so they don't have issues with high voltages stressing the tubes.

Long story short, I wouldn't worry about any particular era of amp; early 70's, mid 70's, late 70's, 90's...they all have their positive and negative attributes. They're all great amps. Buy the nicest most fairly priced example you can find, and have fun with it.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:28 pm

I do use mine as a pedal platform. It's a 70s OR-120 with a 12AY7 as the first preamp tube. I like it because it's a huge-sounding amp with the FAC all the way counter-clockwise (where I always leave it). Lots of bite with the HF drive maxed, and I use the treble control to tame it.

I also like that the effects loop is parallel, so I can put a fuzz in it and beef up the sound but keep some distortion or overdrive tone from before the loop. It's not the same as using a Fender as a pedal platform, but it certainly works, and has some advantages.

The way I run it, it's a little bright for a Rickenbacker, but it's probably the amp I use most often with my darker basses.