Please help me choose an amp.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

djandrade

Please help me choose an amp.

Post by djandrade » Fri Nov 23, 2018 7:40 pm

Hello All,
Just started getting into guitar playing after MANY years. Used to play a bit back in high school/ college (Late 90s-2000s). Back then I didnt know much about quality- I just wanted loud stuff. So naturally I gravitated to 4x12s with a 100w head. However, now that I am older- I am looking for something a little more tamer that wont upset the wife/ neighbors. Found a great deal on a used Crush 35RT ($155) with the 1button foot switch included. But I also came across a guy selling a Tiny Terror Combo (has that G12H 30w 70th anniversary speaker in it) for $400. I am not doing any gigs, just at home- relearning and will eventually [give me a year+] start playing with a buddy of mine who has a recording studio. Which of these two do you guys recommend? Are their pros/ cons to either one? Any info you guys can provide will be greatly appreciated. I currently have a 2017 PRS Custom 24 SE that I picked up for $450; guy only used it a hand full of times. I know the price difference is a big comparison, but I am hoping I can get the guy to come down on that Tiny Terror to lessen the price gap.
Thanks in advance.

afjungemann
Rocker

Re: Please help me choose an amp.

Post by afjungemann » Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 pm

I would go for the tiny terror every day of every week of every month. The crush series is pretty solid though so play em both and decide what works for you.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

djandrade

Post by djandrade » Fri Nov 23, 2018 10:17 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:31 pm
I would go for the tiny terror every day of every week of every month. The crush series is pretty solid though so play em both and decide what works for you.
Thanks for some feedback. What's your reasoning for choosing the tiny terror over the crush so heavily?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 pm

Tiny terror too.

The amp is much nicer, very well designed...... and guitars really shine through 12" speakers..... and the G12H30 is very simply an excellent (and very expensive) speaker.

There's a big price difference, but the crush 35 is something you'll want to step up from, and will lose value. The tiny terror is good for a lifetime.... unless your taste changes. It should keep its value.

Anyway... congrats on picking up the guitar again. That's the most important thing, and crush or terror, whatever keeps you playing is good. You already got yourself a very good guitar... you can get yourself a good amp or a very good amp. :wink:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

djandrade

Post by djandrade » Sat Nov 24, 2018 12:31 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:05 pm
Tiny terror too.

The amp is much nicer, very well designed...... and guitars really shine through 12" speakers..... and the G12H30 is very simply an excellent (and very expensive) speaker.

There's a big price difference, but the crush 35 is something you'll want to step up from, and will lose value. The tiny terror is good for a lifetime.... unless your taste changes. It should keep its value.

Anyway... congrats on picking up the guitar again. That's the most important thing, and crush or terror, whatever keeps you playing is good. You already got yourself a very good guitar... you can get yourself a good amp or a very good amp. :wink:
Thanks as well for all the help/ clarification.

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Tue Nov 27, 2018 5:52 pm

I'd get the tiny terror and not look back. I own a Crush 20 and just never cared for the sound. I get the 35 has a larger speaker, but it is what it is and still isn't special. You want an amp you can grow with and the crush series is not it. I bought mine as a travel amp for vacation and business trips and it serves that purpose fine. While I have other amps at home, it never got used because it just sounded blah. I wound up running a two way switch and an output Jack out the back and running it into a 212. It sounds better, but still not great. What I do have are an assortment of valve combos and heads that just sound killer. The dark terror, micro dork and Rocker 32 all sound freaking amazing through a 212 and the rocker is also a stand alone combo. But you can run all of these amps into a 112 or a 412 too. You just have so much versatility with a head, that's why i own 7 vs 3 combos. The only drawback I see to owning a valve amp is there is no headphone Jack. However, vox and some generic companies sell these USB powered mini amps that plug right into your guitar output and they sound good. The vox is about 45 dollars and the generic is about 25. Both can also be used for bass. So, that's my input. I do like my crush, but I feel in the long run you're best served with a professional quality valve amp you can actually grow with and gig with. Some people will complain the Tiny terror doesn't have a loop, but always remember David Gilmour makes all those lovely sounds with his delay, reverb and anything else plugged in the front of his clean, cranked hiwatts. You really don't need a loop. I have a few heads without the feature and my world still spins. Good luck and cheers for getting back into playing. I did the same 😀

bfitz
Orange Expert

Post by bfitz » Thu Nov 29, 2018 6:15 pm

The Tiny Terror is a beast of an amplifier. What it lacks in features it makes up for in 'SHABANG' I dont know how to describe it but the mojo factor with the TT just there. With the crush it will not be there in the same way. I'd nearly get another one!

B

Orange AD30
Groove Tubes Soul-O 75
Orange PPC 212 OB
Boss Nextone 40
Fender CIJ Pink Paisley Tele
Fender Classic Player Strat 50s
Yamaha SA1200s
Gibson Les Paul Standard
Gibson SG Jnr