NAD...... again.....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

NAD...... again.....

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 pm

How many examples of the same amps have you had?

This is my 2nd AD5. (I've sold my 1st one around 5 years ago)
I've had 2 AD15. (I kept the best one - very obvious tone difference)

I've been on the look out for another AD5 for ages, and finally managed to get one on eBay.

Only had a short play, but what a brilliant little amp. I've played / owned a few 5 watters over the years, this is by far the best IMO. Some of the sweetest cleans ive ever heard (im sure the 10" G10N40 helps a lot there) and what a crunch!!!!

Still can't be cranked at home (without everyone out that is.....), but boy does it sound sweet.....

Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: NAD...... again.....

Post by bclaire » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:38 pm

Cool amp!

One of these days I need to get one...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:29 pm

You should.

I've tried or owned the epi valve junior, fender champ, marshall class 5, vox ac4, Blackstar HT5..... that AD5 is simply the most musical, as articulate as any big gun Orange, and the 10" gives it some of the best cleans I've heard.

It really makes the debate about 10" and 12" speakers.

With its own speaker the AD5 cuts through like hot knife through butter. The lead tone is lacking though. Through 12" V30, its thick, more akin to the AD15 or AD30 we know so well, and has a great creamy lead tone...

So the G10N40 has some short comings.... but fantastic qualities too. Really fantastic....!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Thu Nov 22, 2018 11:00 pm

I've been on the look out for another AD5 for ages, and finally managed to get one on eBay.

Only had a short play, but what a brilliant little amp. I've played / owned a few 5 watters over the years, this is by far the best IMO. Some of the sweetest cleans ive ever heard (im sure the 10" G10N40 helps a lot there) and what a crunch!!!!
Great new Amp!

Very interested in what you've said about different amps sounding better even in exactly the same model... I've found exactly the same in the Rocker 30 , I've owned 4, two of which sounded fantastic the other two sounded OK but noway near as good as the others, I wish I've kept the last good sounding one but it was battered and in a right state, so decided to get one in better order, sold it and got (the last one I've had) another rocker 30 , but didnt sound nearly as good....... and nothing to do with valves as I always change them.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 11:13 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:

Great new Amp!

Very interested in what you've said about different amps sounding better even in exactly the same model... I've found exactly the same in the Rocker 30 , I've owned 4, two of which sounded fantastic the other two sounded OK but noway near as good as the others, I wish I've kept the last good sounding one but it was battered and in a right state, so decided to get one in better order, sold it and got (the last one I've had) another rocker 30 , but didnt sound nearly as good....... and nothing to do with valves as I always change them.
I thought that was strange too.
The rumour has been the AD15 were too costly to manufacture, and the one i sold was a mote recent one, with some manufacturing corners cut. The one I've kept is an earlier AD15. It has, for example, metal leg stands for the PCB, instead of plastic push fit stand (that damage easily, and a pain to use) on the later AD15 i sold on.

The differences weren't huge, but the one i kept clearly sounds better.
Last edited by Les Paul Lover on Sat Nov 24, 2018 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ant

steamboat
Rocker

Post by steamboat » Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:42 pm

Ad5 is a cool little amp. The one I had came with a jense p10R though. It sounded nice, but I didn't keep it long enough to swap speakers and start comparing.

I also have an AD15/10" with the jensen p10R...I don't really care for the P10R in the AD15. I'm going to swap it for a celestion alnico gold IF I can fit it in there. It's a tight squeeze on the 10" model as there isn't much room between the amp and speaker with the jensen p10r in there. The jensen just doesn't sound near as good as the celestions on my other Ad15/12's. It doesn't handle the gain as nicely and is too fizzy for my liking. I run a 1975 creamback 55hz g12H in one, an alnico blue 15 watter in one, and a 1974 black back 75 hz g12H in another, all of which sound excellent.

I see celestion makes a g10 greenback but i'm not too sure If I want to even try that or just get the alnico gold to fit in there.

I also agree with les paul lover that the earlier ad15's are slightly better built. Everything from the lugs to the wiring to the sound they are just better amps. I have compared different chassis, and you can certainly tell they started finding ways to produce them cheaper as time went on.
Rollin with a fat sack of Oranges

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:43 pm

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 6:48 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:

Great new Amp!

Been thinking about it. Did you take note of the serial number (year of production) and the R30 you liked more than the others? I think Orange improved their transformers across the UK line in 2006? I think my Rocker 30 is from 2009, like my RV50, but I've never compared it to another one directly, so can't compare. I'm sure happy to know it's got better transformers..... however incidental (if noticeabke at all!!!) it might be.
Ant

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Nov 24, 2018 9:51 pm

steamboat wrote:
Sat Nov 24, 2018 2:42 pm
Ad5 is a cool little amp. The one I had came with a jense p10R though. It sounded nice, but I didn't keep it long enough to swap speakers and start comparing.

I also have an AD15/10" with the jensen p10R...I don't really care for the P10R in the AD15. I'm going to swap it for a celestion alnico gold IF I can fit it in there. It's a tight squeeze on the 10" model as there isn't much room between the amp and speaker with the jensen p10r in there. The jensen just doesn't sound near as good as the celestions on my other Ad15/12's. It doesn't handle the gain as nicely and is too fizzy for my liking. I run a 1975 creamback 55hz g12H in one, an alnico blue 15 watter in one, and a 1974 black back 75 hz g12H in another, all of which sound excellent.

I see celestion makes a g10 greenback but i'm not too sure If I want to even try that or just get the alnico gold to fit in there.

I also agree with les paul lover that the earlier ad15's are slightly better built. Everything from the lugs to the wiring to the sound they are just better amps. I have compared different chassis, and you can certainly tell they started finding ways to produce them cheaper as time went on.
It would be interesting to hear your thoughts abiut other speakers. I have very little experience with speakers.

From the amps I've had, I know when a speaker is hampering definition, especially with gain (ie: Celestion 70:80, great with cleans, rubbish with dirt).

The G10N40 is absolutely articulate, under all circumstances, but does accentuate the high end, with extra sizzle with lots of gain. That's why it cuts so well, but also has superb cleans.

From my mediocre attempts at recording a few years back, the AD5, frustratingly, was the best result I got too. Super easy to record, which input down in part to the speaker again. Recording the V30 has proved a lot trickier. I say frustratingly.... but whatever I recorded with the AD5 sounded fantastic. I found recording my RV50 a lot more difficult. What i recorded didnt sound like what i could hear in the room.
Ant

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Sun Nov 25, 2018 6:30 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
I'm on my third silverface Super Reverb. Sold the first one when I was out of a job. Had a drip edge for a month or two, wound up returning it to the shop because no matter what we did with it, it just farted out with any humbucker guitar. Third one's a keeper.

Had a couple Bassmans.

Also on my second JC-77, picked up a JC-120 between them but really like the 77 as a more portable, focused sounding amp.

Sold my TV50 and TV200, bought back the same exact amps because I regretted selling them. Wasn't cheap, probably will try to avoid doing that again. They don't sound all that different, and I use them as a well-behaved pair of high-gain amps I can run with the gain maxed, in stereo.

Have two Laney LA100BLs because they're fantastic clean amps, even better in stereo.