Thunderverb's "big transformers" also on the Dual Dark?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dflipp

Thunderverb's "big transformers" also on the Dual Dark?

Post by dflipp » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am

Hey guys!

So... On Thunderverb I've heard Orange market it as "having bass amp big output transformers". Great for down-tuning heavy tones. Checked! It rocks.

My question is: Does the Dual Dark which is "Thunderverb-based" (it actually "made" TV's go discontinued), share the same "output transformers"? I haven't seen it being "marketed" the same way so... Maybe it doesn't?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this and also on about wihch do you think are the differences between the two. Is is worth to upgrade a Thunderverb 50 to a Dual Dark 100?

Thanks in advance!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Thunderverb's "big transformers" also on the Dual Dark?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:39 pm

dflipp wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:30 am
Hey guys!

So... On Thunderverb I've heard Orange market it as "having bass amp big output transformers". Great for down-tuning heavy tones. Checked! It rocks.

My question is: Does the Dual Dark which is "Thunderverb-based" (it actually "made" TV's go discontinued), share the same "output transformers"? I haven't seen it being "marketed" the same way so... Maybe it doesn't?

I would like to hear your thoughts on this and also on about wihch do you think are the differences between the two. Is is worth to upgrade a Thunderverb 50 to a Dual Dark 100?

Thanks in advance!
1st in terms of upgrade....

Do you need 100w? Have lacked power on occasions?
Do you like the modern classic tone of the Thunderverb? The dual dark is tighter and more modern sounding.
Would you miss the reverb?

Secondly, I have no idea abiut the transformers.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm

I could be wrong but I think the TV200 is specifically what was marketed for having the large transformer and capable of using bass through.

The TV50, RV50, DD50 likely all share the same transformer. This is my understandings anyway.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Fri Nov 16, 2018 3:57 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 3:50 pm
I could be wrong but I think the TV200 is specifically what was marketed for having the large transformer and capable of using bass through.

The TV50, RV50, DD50 likely all share the same transformer. This is my understandings anyway.
I think you're right about that. The TV200 had the same transformer as the AD200. It's a *lot* heavier than a TV50.

I spent a few minutes with a Dual Dark while trying out a guitar, and while I liked it, I didn't hear anything in it that would be worth the loss of the reverb, for me. Overall I preferred the looser character of the TV, but if I'd never had one, I might be happy with a DD. I don't think I'd see it as an upgrade unless you hear a difference in sound and really like the DD better.