Orange Cleaning Tips?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

tugartheman
Orange Master

Orange Cleaning Tips?

Post by tugartheman » Wed Oct 24, 2018 1:45 pm

My AD30 is closing in on being two decades old and I've noticed recently a little static when turning the knobs. I'm assuming that must just be dust in the pots(?). I was thinking about taking the thing apart just to give it a good cleaning, but certainly don't want to mess anything up while I'm in there. Any body have any tips on best ways to clean the interior of your amp? Do you use canned duster or compressed air? All tips welcome.
Orange AD30HTC thru Orange PPC2x12. Orange Bass Terror Combo.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Orange Cleaning Tips?

Post by bclaire » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:09 pm

I will occasionally blow out the inside of my amps with compressed air. Scratchy pots though are a different matter. You need tuner cleaner or whatever it's called now to spray into the pots (usually removing the knob and spraying down the shaft and rapidly rotating back and forth to clean it up.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 4:14 pm

Can of air should be good. Put a blast in each pot, then spray inside the pot or down the shaft if you can’t access inside with a quick blast of de-oxit d5 or similar to clean and lubricate. Few turns to clean, blast of air again, then another quick shot of de-oxit, some more turns. Check all the connectors are tight, screws are screwed. Wirth looking for any signs of heat damage, loose components.

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 am

Thanks guys! Snagging a can of air and oxit this weekend and knocking this out. Just pulled the amp out of the sleeve for the first time (probably since the factory) and man was it dusty! This is way overdue.

On a side note, found my build dates. Board built 4/10/02, transformers 11/05, left the factory December of 2005. I was surprised as the gap in time between board and amp builds, must have been indicative of Orange's market share and demand at the time. Not quite as early as I thought but still cool to know exactly.

Gibson ES-333, Gibson SG Bass, Custom Built Jazzmaster, Les Paul Custom, Kalamazoo KG-1A, Gibson J-45.

Sooner
Orange Master

Post by Sooner » Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:34 am

tugartheman wrote:
Sat Oct 27, 2018 2:10 am
On a side note, found my build dates. Board built 4/10/02, transformers 11/05, left the factory December of 2005. I was surprised as the gap in time between board and amp builds, must have been indicative of Orange's market share and demand at the time. Not quite as early as I thought but still cool to know exactly.
I think in 2002 the production was moved from the Trace Elliott factory to some other facility.
Sooner
AD1512 Serial No. 001

tugartheman
Orange Master

Post by tugartheman » Wed Oct 31, 2018 12:06 am

The results of this cleaning were so good that I ended up doing every amp in the house haha! Cleanest the Bass Terror Combo has been since I've owned it and my little Epi turned out perfect too. That D5 Oxit is magic!