Static sound on new Orange Rocker 15 combo on Full power mode only

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

CarloM

Static sound on new Orange Rocker 15 combo on Full power mode only

Post by CarloM » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:01 pm

Hi everyone, first time owner and poster here. Just bought a new Rocker 15 combo amp and it's my first tube amp (owned a Line6 modeling amp before) and I just love the sound of the clean channel and the dirty sure can dig down with the best of them!

One thing I've noticed. No matter if it's on Headroom or Bedroom, if it's clean or dirty channel, if I put it on Full power I get a static-y sound. Very noticeable and consistent, regardless of how loud/soft the volume is. But if I go to half power it's nearly dead quiet.

I've removed everything from the signal chain (no pedals) and even swapped guitar cables to eliminate that as a cause. I've moved it to multiple outlets/areas in my place to make sure it wasn't a bad outlet or interference from a lamp/light or something. It still happens.

Do you all think it's a tubes issue? If it only happens on Full vs. Half power (again, regardless of clean/dirty, or headroom/bedroom it seems to be the Full vs Half that causes/removes the static sound) would you advise if it's the preamp or power tubes?

The amp is only 2 weeks old, purchased brand new from Guitar Center, so I can lug it back there if needed. I'd like not to do a return and exchange if I can avoid it, but I will if people think that's the best way to go.

Thanks for any advice!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Static sound on new Orange Rocker 15 combo on Full power mode only

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 12:30 am

Very well could be tubes. They are warrantied so might be worth taking it in to have them swapped. Amp operates on different voltages with the power switch so they react differently between the two settings.

CarloM

Post by CarloM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 3:42 pm

Thanks for the advice Jondog. I took it in thinking they might just offer to swap tubes, but since it was such a recent purchase they ordered a new one from the warehouse for me, which should arrive within the week.

A sure sign that I had made the right purchase for me, is that I'm already missing the amp and it's only been 18 hours since I returned it for exchange...

I am plugging into my Line 6 spider and honestly now I've found that Orange have ruined solid state amps for me. :oops:

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm

I kind of understand why they replace the whole amp, but it would be so much easier, and better if they just put new tubes in. New amp could show up with bad tubes too!

CarloM

Post by CarloM » Sun Oct 21, 2018 9:45 pm

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. I asked what was going to happen to the amp I returned and he said they'd "send it back in for repairs". I doubt they're sending to UK so I'm going to guess that the local GC doesn't have anyone familiar with repairing/replacing tubes in an amp and so they're sending it somewhere centralized (or maybe in the region, I'm in Southern California which should have no shortage of people who know tube amps) for repairing. I bet they just fix that one and re-sell it as used gear, but it was easier just to get me a new one from a "let's get the customer happy and out the door" standpoint.

And 99% of the time customers usually want a new, as opposed to repaired, items for something that was bought just a couple of weeks ago. But guitarists, just like other hobbies, are a group that are comfortable with tinkering and replacing things, especially on things like tube amps.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am

Jondog wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm
I kind of understand why they replace the whole amp, but it would be so much easier, and better if they just put new tubes in. New amp could show up with bad tubes too!
Agreed. I suspect that most manufacturers would be happier with products being returned to them rather than dubiously qualified folk in shops tinkering!

Plus, this way Orange should be getting useful feedback on how their products are performing - at least during the warranty period. I would hope that a good company (and I believe Orange to be a good company) would be monitoring the returns and adjusting designs / components where necessary.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:52 pm

PBA wrote:
Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:11 am
Jondog wrote:
Sun Oct 21, 2018 8:55 pm
Agreed. I suspect that most manufacturers would be happier with products being returned to them rather than dubiously qualified folk in shops tinkering!

Plus, this way Orange should be getting useful feedback on how their products are performing - at least during the warranty period. I would hope that a good company (and I believe Orange to be a good company) would be monitoring the returns and adjusting designs / components where necessary.

They do. They have revision sheets in which they note manufacturing correction required depending on repairs/failures.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Oct 22, 2018 8:57 pm

A simple valve change would have been preferable to start with, but at least the company you bought it from is trying to make sure you have a prefer product in hand.

As for being spoilt with an Orange...

I quickly sold a 40w H&K solid state amp after buying my RV50 (They were my only 2 amps at the time). The RV50 was simply a better amp at any volume.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

CarloM

Post by CarloM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Oh yeah don't get me wrong, I'm happy Guitar Center wants me to have a new/perfect (hopefully) working amp since I purchased it new very recently. I was just saying since we as a community understand that tube amps will by its nature need more care/service than solid state amps, I also would have been fine if they had a pro on-staff to check/adjust/replace the valves. Clearly they did not, so a new replacement was the right call.

One question, as this is my first tube amp. They should be fine to operate at an upward angle right? I have a small amp stand that angles up my amp about 30 degrees so I can hear it better when I'm playing in my apartment. Obviously on my modeling amp there was never an issue. But I wonder if the 30 degree upward angle may have done something with the tubes in the Rocker 15? I can't imagine that Orange (and other tube manufacturers) wouldn't design amps to run at a slight upward tilt. Just trying to check all the bases so when my new amp arrives in a few days I won't have the same problem.

Thanks!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 24, 2018 6:38 pm

Yeah it’s fine.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:05 pm

Valves can operate just fine up side up, down, horizontally or vertically, no issues there.
Ant

CarloM

Post by CarloM » Wed Oct 24, 2018 7:58 pm

Awesome thanks for all of your help! Can’t wait for the new one to get here. Need that sweet rocker tone ASAP.