What attenuator should I buy?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dobranskym

What attenuator should I buy?

Post by dobranskym » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:12 pm

I love that power amp distortion on my Rv50(sadly I have Mk2 and not Mk3 which has power brake built in). However, I can get it only when the volume is above 6/10 and that is insanely loud. So do you have any experience with additional power brakes? Should I get one?
-Guitar: 2010 Gibson SG
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume
-Amps: Rockerverb 50 Mk2, Kustom Quad 200, Fender Mustang combo

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: What attenuator should I buy?

Post by bclaire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:58 pm

They don't make them anymore but if you can find a Marshall SE-100 you will be very happy.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:35 pm

there's a Marshall SE-100 on Reverb right now.

i am currently looking for a reactive load box/attenuator.

been looking at the fryette, suhr, universal audio and two notes products.

two notes has some very good attenuator/load boxes with the small torpedo captors. they also have some very good rack mount units that do it all pretty much.

fryette has a reactive load box that allows you to switch between 4, 8, or 16 ohms amongst many other features.

i am leaning more towards the two notes products but still watching youtube videos and reading reviews.

dobranskym

Post by dobranskym » Sat Oct 20, 2018 5:12 pm

If I get one, and run the amp every day at let's say 7/10 volume, how often should I change the power tubes? Is there any danger to the amp if I don't change them and the tube fails?
-Guitar: 2010 Gibson SG
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume
-Amps: Rockerverb 50 Mk2, Kustom Quad 200, Fender Mustang combo

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:59 pm

I use a Jet City jettenuator with my RV50 and R30.

High attenuation does remove high end and dynamics, but it works a really treat to take these beasts at home. Works really nicely live too.... because then you can really crank the amp and you only need a little attenuation to bring it back to loud band settings, matching the drummer.

It's pretty inexpensive as far as attenuator go, and does 4, 8 16 ohms, line out and xlr out. I believe it can work as a load box too, though I've never tried that.

I bought mine with an amp and cab and thought I'd flip it, but it was to good toilet go. I use mine almost all the time now.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:17 pm

caldurham wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:35 pm
there's a Marshall SE-100 on Reverb right now.

i am currently looking for a reactive load box/attenuator.
The SE-100 is an attenuator as well as a speaker emulator. Very versatile.

People that have them tend to hold onto them.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:59 pm

The Power Station V2 is still king if you want the best. But it's pricey, and somewhat cumbersome compared to other options. It has tubes and requires power if you want to use it as more than a load box. The strong point is that it sounds consistently good over pretty much any volume, whereas cheaper resistive units degrade the sound more the more you attenuate.

If you only need to shave off a small amount of volume I would save yourself a lot of money and go with a resistive unit. Take your pick based on features and price. They all kill the top end a bit, and they all compress the sound and degrade the quality more as you lower the output.

All that being said, a Rockerverb is not an amp I would bother attenuating. The sound of this amp is very pre-amp based, and the master volume is extremely effective. It's not like an old non-MV Marshall, or an OR-120. You can get the amp to sound good at reasonable volumes.

First and foremost, use an amp that's correctly powered for your purposes. If that's not an option, you can attenuate. But it's not always necessary, and there are plenty of downfalls with attenuation.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

megalithic
Orange Hero

Post by megalithic » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:59 pm
I bought mine with an amp and cab and thought I'd flip it, but it was to good toilet go. I use mine almost all the time now.
Don't flush it, it'll clog.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:24 pm

megalithic wrote:
Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:40 am
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sat Oct 20, 2018 6:59 pm
Don't flush it, it'll clog.

:lol:

I would usually go and correct that, but I might just let that autocorrect fault there.... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute