Petrucci tone (Mesa Mk2) on Rockerverb

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dobranskym

Petrucci tone (Mesa Mk2) on Rockerverb

Post by dobranskym » Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:17 am

Yes, I wonder how to get closer to Petrucci's tight prog metal tone with my Rockerverb. I prefer his Images and Words to Scenes from a Memory guitar tone. He probably used Mesa Mk2 on these albums. Any suggestions on how should I get this tone? Naturally, Rv is too muddy on the dirty channel and that is the main problem. Thanks!
-Guitar: 2010 Gibson SG
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume
-Amps: Rockerverb 50 Mk2, Kustom Quad 200, Fender Mustang combo

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Petrucci tone (Mesa Mk2) on Rockerverb

Post by Jondog » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:31 am

Not familiar with that tone, but the Rockerverb/Orange is quite different from a mesa. Might require an eq pedal or drive of some sort.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:17 pm

Mesa is one of those amp tones that to me is too unique to recreate on an orange or some other brand with lots of character.

Generally, I would say if you are going for tight, orange isn’t the right platform. Certainly there are probably some pedals that you could run on the clean channel or some sort of boost that would tighten things up but not sure what that would be.

As far as muddy goes, that would surprise me a little. My RV is super cutty and very very clear. However, I am playing a 6 string with low output pickups. If you are playing downtuned or 7-8 string with high output pickups, it might get muddy.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

dobranskym

Post by dobranskym » Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:21 pm

You are right, the od helps A LOT. I'm gonna try adding the eq in the fx loop too.
-Guitar: 2010 Gibson SG
-Pedalboard: SD1, DS1, Vox Wah, Marshall Regenerator, EHX Memory Toy, EHX Silencer, Boss Volume
-Amps: Rockerverb 50 Mk2, Kustom Quad 200, Fender Mustang combo