Why do I like my Dual Terror over my OR50?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Seymour_butz

Why do I like my Dual Terror over my OR50?

Post by Seymour_butz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 1:14 am

I'm looking for a 60s psych rock sound, so I picked up both a DT and OR used and figured I'll play both and sell the one I don't like as much. Using a strat on neck pickup and a 4x12 with Greenbacks, here is what I found:

-With both amps with volume at 2 o'clock and gain at 10 o'clock, the Dual Terror is louder.
-Cleans seem fairly equal to me
-With a fuzz face and both amps with volume at 11 o'clock and gain at 12 o'clock, both amps have similar bottom end, and both have a very similar sound, except the OR has a top end fizz thing going on. OR sounds a little more aggressive because of this, and has more of a high-gain sound.
-With a fuzz face, DT is so much fun to use the whammy bar during feedback. The feedback 'sings'. The OR feedback, with gain at 11, 12, and 1 o'clock, will drop out and then come in again screeching, esp when using the whammy. It wasn't as predictable or fun as the DT, and it sure as hell didn't sing.

I REALLY wanted to keep the OR, having the full EQ section, more wattage, not being made in China, and looking infinitely cooler. Neither of them take a Blues Driver or Moog MF drive well, but I guess I just love the orange gained sound so much that pedals sound weak comparatively.

Here in Australia OR50's are $2500 and rare on the used market, so once I sell it, it's gone forever. So before I put the OR up for sale....
-Am I missing something with the OR?
-Is the OR simply not suited for 60s psychey Hendrix sounds as the DT?
-What are your experiences?
-Anyone want to convince me to keep the OR? 😂😂

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Why do I like my Dual Terror over my OR50?

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:49 am

Could be because of the lower wattage it has a sweeter tone at the volumes you play at. The 50 will need to be louder in order to get the tubes cooking. Regarding the fizz, it's common with Orange amps if you don't have the master set high enough.

In all honestly I would pick my TT over my R30, or old RV100 any day. Don't feel pressured to keep it just because it was expensive. Sell it off and move onto other gear you will use. I spent 4 years in the same situation with my RV100. I ended up trading it off for another combo and haven't missed it one bit.

I think the MIC quality has been improving over the years. Shouldn't matter where it was made if it sounds good. Lots of folks around here tour and beat the heck out of their Terrors and they keep on going.

SELL IT!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Sep 05, 2018 9:43 am

What works works, that's all that matters.

You might want to freshen the OR50 valves, as they might be past their best..... but they might not. And even if improved, they may not change tour preference.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Seymour_butz

Post by Seymour_butz » Wed Sep 05, 2018 2:23 pm

Good points.

I guess I'm really wondering if the OR has some advantages over the DT that I haven't considered yet in my testing?

I'm being thorough because once I sell it, there's no second chances for it at $2,500.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:55 pm

+1 for whatever works, works. Everyone’s tastes are different. If you feel like traveling to the US with your OR50, I would take it off your hands! :-)
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard