NPD! Been a long wait :)

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

NPD! Been a long wait :)

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 5:42 pm

Hello Everyone,

After what seems like ages I finally pulled the trigger on the boss of all dirt boxes!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/FDTuTMwj9p86qkQM7

When it launched earlier this year I initially decided against it, but after getting more into synth these days and not digging the OG version I decided it was time. The pro version has the "bass mod" always engaged, which makes it sound massive compared to the original. Also nice to have the clean blend and LPF built in (both of which I was running as separate pedals with the OG GC while it was on my board). There is one patch I've been using for years on the original but I haven't been able to replicate it yet. More testing required!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: NPD! Been a long wait :)

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 pm

And on that note :)

It's going back to the store. The old guy is way more glitchy/stuttery. I went through presets matching both pedals and I can get them sounding close, but the old one just has something the new one doesn't. That said, the pro is WAY WAY WAY better on guitar. There is a ton more clarity and note definition. It just seems cleaner to my ears overall. I tried the original version on guitar when I got it 5+ years ago and almost returned it. It wasn't until I tried it on my bass that I understood :) There is some sort of HPF on the original version to keep it from getting flubby on guitar. Whatever filter this is squashes the low end from my synth/bass and causes some crazy stuff to start happening. Since the Pro version has the "bass mod", it doesn't have the same low end splat that sounds oh so nasty :)

I also figured the LPF would be a welcome addition, but they seem to have trimmed off some top end by default on the pro. I never found myself wanting to carve anything off. The original has a touch more top end content.

I would say if you are like me and use the crusher for the occasional synth/bass part, stick with the smaller version. If you need midi control/presets or are using it for 100% guitar then go for the pro.

OrangeBoy
Tiny Terror

Post by OrangeBoy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 10:19 am

I have both and reckon the Pro is way better than the original. The tweakability is immense. Some of the wave tables in the original simply can't give usable sounds. Same wavetables used with the Pro are useable because of more options to tweak. I think the core OD/Distortion sounds of the Pro are better too, more "professional" sounding (can't think of any other way to describe it). I had the original version for a short while before taking the plunge and ordering a Pro because of it's limitations (in truth I was waiting for the Pro to be released for a couple of years but gave up because it looked like it would never happen decided, to go for the original and a couple O' months later the Pro was released, dammit). Anyway, I use them only for guitar and intend on keeping both for a while because they do differ in many ways.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:11 pm

Hey man,

Yes the new version has more features that's for sure. If I was a brand new GC user I would go for the PRO no question, and as I said it sounds 100 times better on guitar. Way more clarity, which I think is my problem. I have a few preset patches that I use on my bass. With the new version I just couldn't get the same sputter. I use wave table #68 with the tone off and the sample rate around 2 oclock. It sounds like a mothership coming to take me away :D (sounds like an octive up and down with a ring mod into a sloppy fuzz pedal). No matter what I did on the pro, I just couldn't get it to have the same character. There are always trade-offs when implementing digital features into an analog pedal. Like the old analog synths just have something that new ones featuring digital control don't. Same kind of idea I'm thinking. I honestly bought it for the clean blend, and LPF, but found out quickly that I didn't really need either. I will say that the extra wave tables, and the ability to push it into audio rate are pretty cool though.

Either way enjoy the pedals, they are a blast! This is the first time I've hooked the pedal up to my Sub Phatty and I'm in a whole new world :) If you have a synth or drum machine, I highly recommend running it into one of these things.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:32 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue Sep 04, 2018 8:49 pm
And on that note :)

It's going back to the store.
One thing must be said...... you are the king of anticlimactic over excited new gear days....!!!! ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:44 pm

You are correct!

Usually I have a three phase approach. Quick run through, in-depth test, buyers remorse/justification. This easily made it past step 1, but not step 2 once I did the shootout with my old sounds.

I'll be sure to post a NTD thread when I finally pickup the new Ikea table for my music room :)

Just wait for the next iteration of my clean tone quest. I've grown unhappy with my current setup. Strap in folks, it's going to be...

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:19 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Sep 06, 2018 5:44 pm
You are correct!

Usually I have a three phase approach. Quick run through, in-depth test, buyers remorse/justification. This easily made it past step 1, but not step 2 once I did the shootout with my old sounds.

I'll be sure to post a NTD thread when I finally pickup the new Ikea table for my music room :)

Just wait for the next iteration of my clean tone quest. I've grown unhappy with my current setup. Strap in folks, it's going to be...
:lol:

To be honest, I always enjoy your reviews. They're honest - you know what you want, even if difficult to achieve, and you keep your aim steady. You're pretty ruthless with it, and with good reasons.... why accept the average? (The average comment doesnt apply to the pedal in this thread, of course)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Sep 06, 2018 7:44 pm

Yes it's a great pedal. Some amazing sounds and engineering that's for sure! The only thing I would have liked to see on it is also the addition of a HPF. There are some extremely bass rich patches, and I feel it would have helped keep things a bit more under control especially when scrolling through banks/tables.

I did some research and turns out the bass mod extends the HPF from 100hz down to 20hz (also trims off some of the highs). I think 20hz extension is nice on paper but live/recording it would almost always be sliced higher to reduce mud (once the band kicks in of course).

Wave table morphing is a super cool feature. I will indeed miss that :)

I think these days I crave more simplicity. The TT and PS170 have been getting all the action since moving into our new place. Give me a single channel amp, single pickup guitar, and I'm a happy human. Okay perhaps I'll need a tuner too.

Kind of like when the BigSky was announced. I was so excited I ordered it the second it was available in Canada, and even sold off my BlueSky before it arrived. Sure it had more features and sounds, but it didn't take long to realise it was missing something that the original had. Well perhaps not missing, but different to the point where I preferred the old sounds better. Same as the GC. It's not missing anything, it's just different.