v30's or creamback and alnico gold for CR120?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

freakymax

v30's or creamback and alnico gold for CR120?

Post by freakymax » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 pm

Guys, i don't know what decide, for my cr120 head, i have the choice of a 2x12ppcOB with :
- two v30
or
- one creamback paired with a celestion alnico gold.

some say that v30 are ideal for orange amps but these two speakers are very good, especially the alnico gold.
i play dirt stuff, sort of deftones/qotsa style of music , does the creamback and the gold are good for dirty stuff ?

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: v30's or creamback and alnico gold for CR120?

Post by Jondog » Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:18 pm

My Eminence Red Fang is the best speaker I’ve used with Orange to my ears. It’s supposedly Eminences version of the Gold. All three of those are good though, especially after break in.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Aug 27, 2018 6:10 am

I take it this is after your other post with the Palmer cab and 2 alnico golds?

My advice is get a decent cab.

Have you sold the ad30 for the cr120?

There is a reason why V30s have been in Orange amps for years, they compliment the orange amp rock tone but sure are not for everyone, other common speakers used by folk on this forum are Greenbacks, and Creambacks.

The Orange 2x12 open back is excellent, buy one they try out the V30, you can they decide if you like they tone and experiment with different speaker combinations , buying second hand you won't loose any money.

I use a V30 and a greenback in my 2x12 cab.

I've never used an alnico goldback but can't remember anyone on here saying they use them with their orange amps.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Mon Aug 27, 2018 8:40 pm

freakymax wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 11:10 pm
Guys, i don't know what decide, for my cr120 head, i have the choice of a 2x12ppcOB with :
- two v30
or
- one creamback paired with a celestion alnico gold.

some say that v30 are ideal for orange amps but these two speakers are very good, especially the alnico gold.
i play dirt stuff, sort of deftones/qotsa style of music , does the creamback and the gold are good for dirty stuff ?
Deftones and QOTSA are on opposite ends of the spectrum. One is a super scooped, compressed, high gain tone. The other is a big growly, low mid, low gain crunch.

V30's could be good for a QOTSA type sound, but are the opposite of what you want for Deftones. AlNiCo gold isn't good for either of those, nor is the M magnet cream back (maybe the H magnet one though).

I'd say we need more info on what you want out of the speaker(s) and cabinet. Do you have preferences for?
-High efficiency or low efficiency?
-Early breakup or high headroom?
-Mid forward or mid scooped?
-Any particular type of character (smooth, aggressive, bright, warm)?
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI