NGD, but a problem

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

PBA
Rocker

Re: NGD, but a problem

Post by PBA » Tue Aug 28, 2018 1:26 pm

Phil,
Nice guitar! You've already confirmed that you are not in any hurry to gut it and I'd say that's sensible!
If you trust your guitar tech and he's not likely to charge huge amounts, I'd still suggest getting them to take a look. The most likely faults are electrical continuity - either a wire isn't connected or it's touching somewhere it shouldn't. It could be a very easy fix to get it back to full operation.
If there is something more significantly wrong then rewiring might be worthwhile but it would be good for you to be more familiar with the guitar's tone before you decide exactly what to do. Higher resistance pots can make the guitar brighter and conversely lower resistance can round off harshness. You will then see lots of talk about 1950s wiring versus "modern". If you don't use the tone controls then it may be that the 50s wiring would be attractive to you...

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Tue Aug 28, 2018 5:16 pm

Thanks PBA, all good suggestions. When he is back, I will get him to just check everything over and I will probably put 010's etc on it. I have 011's at the moment on the other LP's and the Tribute has 009's and it has made me think 010's will be best for me. I will get him to have a look at the electronics and if it is an easy fix then great, if not it can wait. Cheers.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am

I just thought I would post an update. It’s all fixed, but there were other problems found and rectified by my Luthier/Tech.

• Original problem: treble tone pot did not work at all. The surface mount capacitor circuit board trace was broken. Rectified by hardwiring a 0.22 Cap. Works fine now.
• He also found that there was an earth problem with the pups. I had always thought that it was a lot noisier than my other LP’s, but didn’t really think anything of it. He has rectified it and it is much quieter now.
• The output jack (which is plastic), was very pliable and when extracting the jack, I could sometimes see the plastic plate “puling” so was very careful with it. While not really a problem and I didn’t ask him to look at it, he did and it now has a metal one on it and it is much more robust. I’ve kept the old one in case I sell it.
• He also fitted the poker chip which came with it. I just thought I would mention that.

He’s set it up with 010’s (it came with 009’s) and it plays really nicely. Intonation is spot on, so I am really happy.

I have not named him, so I’m not advertising him, but all that cost me £32 and that included the new set of D’Addario strings, Jack plate, capacitor and set up. Pretty good value wouldn’t you say? He has been in the business a long time and has always been reasonable.

Cheers.
Phil
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Sep 12, 2018 1:49 pm

Rozz wrote:
Wed Sep 12, 2018 11:35 am
I just thought I would post an update. It’s all fixed, but there were other problems found and rectified by my Luthier/Tech.

• Original problem: treble tone pot did not work at all. The surface mount capacitor circuit board trace was broken. Rectified by hardwiring a 0.22 Cap. Works fine now.
• He also found that there was an earth problem with the pups. I had always thought that it was a lot noisier than my other LP’s, but didn’t really think anything of it. He has rectified it and it is much quieter now.
• The output jack (which is plastic), was very pliable and when extracting the jack, I could sometimes see the plastic plate “puling” so was very careful with it. While not really a problem and I didn’t ask him to look at it, he did and it now has a metal one on it and it is much more robust. I’ve kept the old one in case I sell it.
• He also fitted the poker chip which came with it. I just thought I would mention that.

He’s set it up with 010’s (it came with 009’s) and it plays really nicely. Intonation is spot on, so I am really happy.

I have not named him, so I’m not advertising him, but all that cost me £32 and that included the new set of D’Addario strings, Jack plate, capacitor and set up. Pretty good value wouldn’t you say? He has been in the business a long time and has always been reasonable.

Cheers.
Phil

I love happy endings. Good thing you didn't send it back, you've kept yourself a player.

:)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 am

Yay - Good news.

Sounds like good value too. I don't know the rules on naming him but I suspect other folk in your area may be keen to know of a good, local tech...