NGD, but a problem

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

NGD, but a problem

Post by Rozz » Wed Aug 22, 2018 8:32 am

Hi All,

I just bought myself a 2018 Gibson Les Paul Tribute, satin gold top finish. I’m a lefty and they didn’t seem to be available in many places (UK) and I saw this one. I kept procrastinating as I already have 2 Les Pauls, albeit one of them is going up for sale, so I bought the Tribute unseen. It arrived and its build quality is faultless. The soft case is pretty good too. It plays absolutely beautifully and the intonation was spot on straight out of the case. By the way, this was a display model so I expected some marks, but there weren’t any. I really like the 490R 498T pups as well, they seem to go well with my Orange’s.
Now the problem: The bridge pup tone control does not work. It is under guarantee (2 years which is good) and the dealer was very good saying I could send it back for repair or they could get the only other one available but that would come from Germany. I decided not to do either because A) I don’t use that tone control much and this pup does not get edgy at all and B) this guitar really feels good and plays brilliantly, a replacement might not. If I send this back for repair there is the hassle and risk involved as well.
Now my question: My luthier/tech is on holiday and I can’t ask him for a month, but I had a look at the pots etc. and this one has a circuit board in there. Do any of you know how easy this would be to repair/replace the pot? Have any of you ever taken that out and hardwired it, as I quite like the idea of doing that? This is such a good guitar and I got it at a very reasonable price that I don’t mind spending a bit of money on it. I guess that would invalidate the warranty of course but I wondered if any of you had any experiences with these circuit boards. I think Gibson did a good job with these Tributes, no frills, but I now have a gold top :D .
Any advice appreciated. Thanks.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: NGD, but a problem

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:48 am

Hmm. Weird.

If you have soldering skills it should be easy to convert to hardwired. There are kits available from Stew-Mac and on ebay that have new pots, caps, etc. already wired and all you have to do is drop it in and wire the rest.

https://www.stewmac.com/Pickups_and_Ele ... ndreg.html

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:58 am

Should be an easy fix. May just be a bad ground.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Aug 22, 2018 3:53 pm

Since it's the circuit board model I wouldn't mess with it. As stated, I would re-wire with a traditional setup, or send it back to the store for repair.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 am

Thanks for the advice, I won't touch it myself but will get my tech to look at it when he gets back with a view to hardwire. I am going to send a message to Stew-Mac to see if they ship to UK/ wait time etc. and ask a few more questions, thanks for that Billy, that seems like a good idea. Ill check to see if anybody in the UK does anything similar. Cheers.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Thu Aug 23, 2018 2:44 pm

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:03 pm

Rozz wrote:
Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:01 am
Thanks for the advice, I won't touch it myself but will get my tech to look at it when he gets back with a view to hardwire. I am going to send a message to Stew-Mac to see if they ship to UK/ wait time etc. and ask a few more questions, thanks for that Billy, that seems like a good idea. Ill check to see if anybody in the UK does anything similar. Cheers.

Stewmac ship to the UK. I recently oredred some tuners from them. However..... it will cost £15 To ship via slow mail...... and it took 6 weeks for my tuners to arrive..... and then had to pay import fees (due on anything above £20 I think).

There are European suppliers who can usually provide what you need cheaper and MUCH faster.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:15 pm

Congrats on the tribute. Pics???
Otherwise it's a banjo with a missing string!!!!! :wink:

I love tributes and faded/satin finish Gibsons. Ok, they don't look as nice as the full nitro finish..... but all satin/faded Gibsons I've had in my hands have felt incredibly lively, like no other instruments I've had.

I can't say they sounded better, probably just the same as the nicer model, but I love the feel/connection i make with them. I find them very natural and organic feeling.

I love my SG 70s Tribute and my Les Paul Standard Faded.

You did right to keep it.
If I were you..... I'd be tempted to leave it alone. I never use the tone knobs!!!!!
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

LD50
Tiny Terror

Post by LD50 » Thu Aug 23, 2018 8:19 pm

I agree, if the guitar feels good and plays well keep it - the electrics are easy to sort out.

If you know what you want and can solder you can buy all the bits.

Otherwise you can get something like this:https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Les-Paul-dro ... Sw3Z9asRzH

My LPR0 was very similar, although it was the bridge pup that was defective at extremes of pot settings. I took the whole lot out and put it in a sealed bag in the case. I bought a pair of BKP mules (4 wire) and their 550k pots, Jensen caps (0.047 and 0.022) with push-push tone pots for coil taps. Made it a very versatile guitar (it is usually no1 for gigs vs my Martyn Booth Signature).

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Fri Aug 24, 2018 7:55 am

Thanks all,

Yes I must get some pictures up, I did look at a few hosting sites a while ago but my security software didn't like them. But pictures of guitars and amps aren't particularly sensitive :lol: What do people use here now that is free and secure? I'm not one to share lots of pictures. I'm not even on facebook. Not a technophobe, just not interested in it.
Again, thanks for all the comments and I really like this guitar a lot. I'm not going to do anything to it at the moment, just play it for a while live and if I can get away with not using the Treble tone pot, which I never do at the moment (I use the neck tone if I happen to play anything jazz oriented), I'll leave it. I'll only think about touching the electronics if anything else goes wrong. There are a few youtube vids of this sort of thing out there.
Cheers.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Aug 24, 2018 1:51 pm

Hi Rozz-

if you email me a picture I'll upload it to my band's site and link it to this thread.

Billy

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Sun Aug 26, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks BIlly,
email sent to your email address on your website. CR120 and one of my PPC112's is at rehearsal space so couldn't include those.
Cheers
Phil

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:39 pm

Here you go!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:39 pm
Here you go!

Billy, something terrible has happened to the picture!!!!! It's like all the amp are the right way around, but all the guitars are in reverse!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! :shock: :lol:
Ant

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Mon Aug 27, 2018 7:53 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:50 pm
bclaire wrote:
Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:39 pm
Here you go!
Billy, something terrible has happened to the picture!!!!! It's like all the amp are the right way around, but all the guitars are in reverse!!!!! Aaaaaaaahhhhhh! :shock: :lol:
:lol: