OR100 - Ultra noisy FX Loop - four cables method

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Maika_mb

OR100 - Ultra noisy FX Loop - four cables method

Post by Maika_mb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:07 pm

Hi everyone,

I have been playing on an OR100 for three years now and I always loved that warm vibrating dark sound coming from it. Best amp I ever owned.

I decided to upgrade my gear. I bought the Boss ES-8 switcher that works like a charm and I recently decided to go stereo using my second amp, a Rockerverb combo 50. I then connected the gear after testing all my Evidence audio patches on the pedalboard and everything is in excellent working conditions. I use the four cables method that I extended to my second amp (I never tried the fx loop on the OR100 before nor the Rockerverb).

The connections are in fact a little more complex as the output on the ES-8 go through a Deco pedal (set to stereo using a YPP signal splitter cable) and then through the Loop Station before getting to the amps.

So, after making sure all the cables are connected the correct way (I followed the explanations of an Orange video on YouTube), I turned on both amps and decided to give it a try. MAJOR DISAPOINTMENT! :shock:

Here is the result I get:

1- I immediatly notice both amps are very noisy even with all pedals on Off. Major buzz/hiss sound.

2- The volume control on both amps are not working correctly: on the OR100, if I put the volume to zero or higher setting, it does not change anything to the sound. If I turn on the volume on my guitar, then it plays loud, same with my volume pedal (volume is zero on the Amp!). It is like my volume pedal and my guitar are now a bypass over the amp, taking control of it. Not a good thing.

The return on the Rockerverb does not seem to be working as no sound comes out of it. But, if I connect the cable in the front of the amp, then, some sound comes through, but I have to increase the volume to about 50% to match the OR100's volume. And it is very noisy.

The result:

1- Confusion.
2- Not suitable for live or studio.
3- Looks to me like there is something very wrong with the amp (both?).
4- When I connected the traditionnal way (2 cables), I never heard extra noise on the amp even with all pedals in use. In fact, it was very silent, clear music.

Gear:

1- I play a Gibson Les Paul Voodoo and a Gibson Les Paul Black Beauty Custom.
2- I use SIS Evidence Audio as patch on the pedalboard
3- I have three Evidence audio the Forte cables (tons of tone)
4- I also have a Vovox cable.

Questions:

1- Anyone had a similar problem using the fx loop on the Orange amps?
2- Is there a solution to regain control of the amps volume?
3- Can anybody help in any way?
4- I always thought playing stereo using the fx loop on the amp was similar to paradise... For the moment, it is more like hell.

Here is my connection map:

1st cable: Guitar plugged in the ES-8 looper (In1)
2nd cable: SEND VOL on ES-8 goes to front Input on the OR100
3rd cable: SEND from OR100 goes to RETURN VOL on ES-8
4th cable: OUT1/Left on ES-8 goes to Strymon DECO (equiped with YPP splitter - red socket)
5th cable: OUT2/Right on the ES-8 goes to Strymon DECO (YPP splitter black socket)
6th cable: LEFT OUT on DECO goes to INPUT A of Loop Station
7th cable: RIGHT OUT on DECO goes in INPUT B of Loop Station
8th cable: OUTPUT A of Loop Station goes to Return of OR100
9th cable: OUTPUT B of loop station goes to RETURN on Rockerverb 50 (or in the front input of it)

Conclusion:

Please, let me know if you see what is wrong. I really need help. Thank you.

Maika_mb

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: OR100 - Ultra noisy FX Loop - four cables method

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 2:31 pm

I didn't have time to read everything, but I would bet your noise is a ground loop between the two amps. You need a HunX or something like that

Maika_mb

Post by Maika_mb » Wed Aug 08, 2018 3:40 pm

Hi bclaire,

Thanks for your answer.

It sounds like a good idea to try the HumX. I suppose I need two of them, one for each amp?

I really hope this will solve the problem.

Thanks again.

Martin

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Wed Aug 08, 2018 4:07 pm

Really just one...

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:13 pm

Definitely a ground loop issue. I am not positive on your volume issue and your signal chain is really confusing for me to read to be sure but the ES8 is not a full stereo system so I am wondering if somewhere in your setup, you are getting signals mixed and each amp is getting a blend of both signals coming back into the fxloop return.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Mne

Post by Mne » Thu Aug 09, 2018 3:49 am

It sounds like you're pretty tech savvy, so unless something is actually faulty, you should be able to get it sorted and as others have mentioned previously, the hum and noise is most likely a ground loop issue, commonly dealt with by inserting an isolation transformer between the source and second amp.

But I'm under the impression the Boss can do it for you too, maybe you can find ISO, Ground Lift or details about running 2 amps in the ES-8 manual? It's not that unusual a problem.

One other thing is that if it were me, I'd be simplifying the signal chain for troubleshooting purposes, ie:-
Test the basic setup - guitar>es-8>amp #1.
Then add the second amp -guitar>es-8>amp #2

Then get on to that whack-a-doodle setup you have going on there:)

Hope you get it rockin' soon!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Thu Aug 09, 2018 1:33 pm

While you're waiting to get a HumX and this would be only at home and not a longterm solution, putting a two prong to three prong adaptor on one of your amps will lift the ground so you can ascertain whether that is the problem...

Maika_mb

Post by Maika_mb » Sun Sep 09, 2018 4:52 pm

Hi all,

Thank you for your possible solutions. I will try to simplify my signal path and test each step. I made progress as I got ridd of a lot of noise, but I have to place both my Mobius and Timeline before the Orange fx loop, otherwise it gets very noisy. The sad thing is I wanted them (at least the Timeline) in the fx loop.

I will have the amp examined.

Thaks again.

Martin