Rocker 32 Speaker Swap

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

joesuspense

Rocker 32 Speaker Swap

Post by joesuspense » Thu Aug 02, 2018 3:36 pm

I've been playing the Rocker 32 for about a year. Recording, gigging, jamming, anything. Live, I use an extension cabinet for the other side of the stage to get a huge stereo spread. I chopped and repurposed an old tuck and roll Kustom PA cab into an openback 1x12 and threw a 12" Eminence Red Coat Governor that I picked up used at a local shop. I figured this would get me by for a while until I found something else. Right off the bat, I liked the sound of the Governor better than the Voice of the World speakers that are in the Rocker 32. Not sure if this is due to them being 12" or just better. The Governor had way more crunch and detail.

This has left me with 1x10 VOTW speaker on my side of the stage and it isn't cutting it. Ideally I'd love to get two of the new PPC112 Vertical open back cabs, but that's going to cost a fortune.

In the interest of not adding another cab to my live rig, I decided to replace both the VOTW speakers with some 8 ohm Eminence Ramrods in series for 16 ohms. I'm hoping this gives me a bit more punch, volume and clarity from the combo side. I considered going for some WGS Retro10s, but I liked what I head from the Governor, so I took a chance on em. I'll also need to always have the extension cab around to keep the other channel plugged in, but that's not a big deal to me.

If this doesn't get me where I need to be, I'm considering turning the Rocker 32 into a head or lunchbox, then just building up some 2x12s. I'll update with the results and try to get some audio to compare.

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Re: Rocker 32 Speaker Swap

Post by satchmodog » Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:18 pm

I love my Rocker 32, but have always said its only weakness are the lousy 10 inch rubbish speakers. I have an Orange 212, a Blackstar 212 with celestion 80s and a Bugera 212 with vintage 30s just like the Orange. Due to construction, it sounds totally different, too. But, I am planning on putting new speakers in the Rocker. I've never done this to a combo, but I really hate these votw speakers. I may swap one out first, then the other to see how it sounds or if it improves enough to make me happy.

joesuspense

Post by joesuspense » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 pm

OK, I've swapped them out and given them a couple of runs at practice. They need to break in still obviously, but the first thing I noted was MUCH more low end. The tone seems to have more... texture to it. Cleans are super "round" and dirt just sounds angry (in the best way). These things really do sound more like 12" than the VOTW. Having both 10" speakers wired up also pushes more air behind me for monitoring on stage and easier to get some controllable feedback. I'm super happy with the Ram Rod's so far. Can't compare them to anything else out there, but they're much better than the stock voice of the world speakers.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Aug 14, 2018 4:27 pm

Great to hear! I played one almost immediately after they were launched and was indeed letdown by the speakers. Here is to hoping they release a special edition with already upgraded speakers. Would save a bit vs upgrading on your own.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Aug 15, 2018 10:03 pm

joesuspense wrote:
Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:58 pm
OK, I've swapped them out and given them a couple of runs at practice. They need to break in still obviously, but the first thing I noted was MUCH more low end. The tone seems to have more... texture to it. Cleans are super "round" and dirt just sounds angry (in the best way). These things really do sound more like 12" than the VOTW. Having both 10" speakers wired up also pushes more air behind me for monitoring on stage and easier to get some controllable feedback. I'm super happy with the Ram Rod's so far. Can't compare them to anything else out there, but they're much better than the stock voice of the world speakers.
Thats great to hear!!! Speakers make a massive difference, but are pretty expensive to try out.

Glad it gets you there!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute