Question about Rockin in the free world settings

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boone33

Question about Rockin in the free world settings

Post by Boone33 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 7:42 pm

I’ve tried to play this song on my Orange 20RT but am not satisfied with the sound. On the dirty channel, it sounds too mushy and not dirty enough on the clean channel, as the amp won’t permit the addition of gain. I don’t have a pedal, so what’s the best way to dial in a preamp sound for this song? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Question about Rockin in the free world settings

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Aug 01, 2018 1:03 am

I would say if it's too mushy lower the bass. What guitar are you using? Your pickups might be too close to the strings. To add gain to the clean channel aside from getting a pedal I can't really help. I would perhaps suggest perhaps running the dirty channel full time and rolling off the volume to clean up your tone. Not sure how well the 20RT cleans up though.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Wed Aug 01, 2018 12:03 pm

The Neil Young song?
It's not an easy sound to get in domestic environments! Neil would be using either a Les Paul with low output pickups or a Gretsch with equally low output pickups and a Fender tweed amp cranked really loud. Possibly some kind of fuzz too.

Volume is the likely to be the key - not gain. Try using the dirty channel with volume up full and only a little gain. If it's too loud, try rolling back the guitar volume to compensate. EQ wise, set everything to 12 O'Clock and adjust from there. You might find rolling off both bass and treble will help.

I have to say though - It' s not a song where I'd be hugely bothered about matching the original sound

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:08 pm

You can drive this amp to break up by diming the clean channel. You may also get the sound you desire by having the dirt channel on the less gainy side of the gain pot and start off with the EQ all set around noon. This song in its recorded settings sounds like either driven valve amp or a clean amp with a Ram's head set low. You can drive that crap speaker in the crush to really distort, so experiment with that. I ran two way switch out of mine so I could run a 212 off the thing and the sound is stunning. It also doesn't get clubby as the 8 inch, so you can take advantage of that speaker breaking easily.

Boone33

Post by Boone33 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm

Thanks all for your thoughtful and helpful advice. Satchmodog’s distortion suggestion seems to come closest to getting what I want, but I’m not quite there yet.

In the best YouTube tutorial I’ve seen for this song, the instructor said he ‘preamped.’ Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by that?

Boy-narf, I have a cheap-o fender strat. Perhaps an upgrade is in order?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:01 pm

Boone33 wrote:
Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:06 pm
Thanks all for your thoughtful and helpful advice. Satchmodog’s distortion suggestion seems to come closest to getting what I want, but I’m not quite there yet.

In the best YouTube tutorial I’ve seen for this song, the instructor said he ‘preamped.’ Pardon my ignorance, but what exactly is meant by that?

Boy-narf, I have a cheap-o fender strat. Perhaps an upgrade is in order?
Unless your cheapo strat is really poor (most of them are pretty decent, they are easy guitars to manufacture), the most notable improvement you will get in tone is with a valve amp.
Your crush 20 is decent for what it is, but it still is a budget amp with small lower quality speaker. A good amp with a 12" quality speaker is were you will start to get real improvements.

I wish I had known that when I was 18/20yo, it would have saved me a bunch of money in pointless guitars upgrades.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute