Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

adkguy07
Rocker

Re: Playing Orange At The Edge Of Breakup

Post by adkguy07 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:41 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:31 pm
I've also had decent results from using a compressor when I can't turn the amp up loud enough. IMO, compressors with a blend control are the most useful. You can blend the compressed signal in with dry, unaffected signal.

Nothing compares to the real thing (cranked amp), but a good compressor works in a pinch.

-Nick
I struggle a bit with amp loudness because at home,I don't want it too loud. I still can't fathom what say, the Exotic would do. Are you saying that I can vary the amount of amp gain without raising the amp volume? As I understand your statement, I'd first set the amp gain to my amount of grit or right on the verge of it, move the amp's volume just over my loudness threshold, then control it all with a compressor to move the overall loudness down without touching my amp and only my guitar’s volume now and then?

I always thought a compressor was good only for evening out the tone, so that single notes come out near the same volume as chords or double stops. A lot of Tele' players resort to one, that I know.

adkguy07

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:58 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 4:41 pm
I struggle a bit with amp loudness because at home,I don't want it too loud. I still can't fathom what say, the Exotic would do. Are you saying that I can vary the amount of amp gain without raising the amp volume? As I understand your statement, I'd first set the amp gain to my amount of grit or right on the verge of it, move the amp's volume just over my loudness threshold, then control it all with a compressor to move the overall loudness down without touching my amp and only my guitar’s volume now and then?

I always thought a compressor was good only for evening out the tone, so that single notes come out near the same volume as chords or double stops. A lot of Tele' players resort to one, that I know.

adkguy07
It just helps synthesize the natural compression that an amp gets when you turn it up loud. It doesn't do much for volume (outside of "evening it out", as you mentioned). It's for mimicking the feel of when the amp is loud, so it doesn't sound so flat and brittle at low volumes.

When we play at low volumes, I keep the Ego compressor on all the time with subtle compression. It just makes the notes feel and respond more like they do when the amp is loud. Again, nothing is a replacement for actually playing the amp loud. But as someone that has a Fryette Power Station, I find the compressor as a viable option to get better response and feel at low volumes.

Try it out at a local shop. Set the compression very low, and see how the guitar responds and feels. I'm sure you can find a local place with a Dark Terror and a compressor.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Wendigo
Orange Master

Post by Wendigo » Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 11:08 am
Many thanks for the compressor tone tip. Here is a link and article from an Orange senior amp Tech on a few pedals that would help enhance my base Dark Terror/Les Paul tone. The Maxon has been recommended to me before on another forum..last year. I was personally leaning towards the Pigtronics boost, but wonder if would change the e.q. on my “base” tone significantly. What do you readers think you'd settle for?

https://orangeamps.com/articles/technic ... range-amp/

adkguy07
I use the Maxon CP101 and it sounds very transparent and just seems to sweeten everything a bit.

oban14

Post by oban14 » Tue Jul 24, 2018 6:14 pm

adkguy07 wrote:
Many thanks for the compressor tone tip. Here is a link and article from an Orange senior amp Tech on a few pedals that would help enhance my base Dark Terror/Les Paul tone. The Maxon has been recommended to me before on another forum..last year. I was personally leaning towards the Pigtronics boost, but wonder if would change the e.q. on my “base” tone significantly. What do you readers think you'd settle for?

adkguy07
I don't have a big board only 5 pedals but the ocd is on mine and I can vouch for its use. It works really well as a push into OD from edge of breakup. I can't comment on its effectiveness as a boost. I will say I like the 1.7 build better than the new 2.0.

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:57 am

Wendigo wrote:
Tue Jul 24, 2018 5:52 pm
adkguy07 wrote:

adkguy07
I use the Maxon CP101 and it sounds very transparent and just seems to sweeten everything a bit.

The more I think about and read about compressors, the more enthused I get about what it would do for my amp sound. I've studied about several clean boosts and toyed with the idea of using my simple e.q. pedal and except for the e.q. idea, boosts and OD devices sometimes add their own frequencies (no matter how little) to the mix. I like my Orange Dark Terror tones and hesitate to color them and turn them into anything other than Orange.

A compressor set low for a subtle effect might be the answer. I want to get my Dark Terror set for that characteristic Orange fuzzy breakup; (not quite pushing it directly into overdrive) but allowing an evening out of potential amp spikes in the tone. Where I like to fingerpick often ala Mark Knopfler, I like to hear a single note or double stop, interval just start to distort when struck or picked with a bit of extra pressure.....and be heard clearly. I guess it's an art form when players like
Knopfler and Gilmour perfect that, both live and recorded.

adkguy07

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Jul 28, 2018 12:46 pm

The alternative advice is to buy an Orange amp model with no Master Volume :)
Paul.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jul 28, 2018 1:31 pm

Or buy an AD15 / AD30.

Those amps are the ultimate edge of break up amps.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:13 pm

After getting the Micro Dark and liking it for the clean and dirt, I took another chance on the Dark Terror and honestly I've struggled a bit getting my tone with it, until this past week (red-faced me).
As someone not really liking OD and dirt pedals, I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to hear both clean as well as distorted from the Dark Terror. My instructor it turns out is not all that well versed in the intricacies of Rock tone, although he excels at theory and teaching. The help and answers I noted in this thread alone have pushed me in the right direction and I now realize I don't necessarily need lots of watts to get there.....after all it's a home environment.

I've been researching Clutch's guitar man Tim Sult who plays the larger Orange head and his approach is as he describes with Orange...a cleaner tone, but still with a bit of hair around it. Other than wah, delay and a Pog, he shys away from dirt pedals. I've found I can achieve the same approach with the Dark Terror and a PPC112 with the V30 speaker; go from a clean into a crunch just with my Les Paul's controls.

adkguy07

OrangePaul
Orange Master

Post by OrangePaul » Sat Jul 28, 2018 3:23 pm

It's the first mistake beginners make, to hide behind a wall of gain. But to sound great and shine through you need (as you seem to have already realised) lower that gain setting and punch a path to glory :)
Paul.

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Wed Aug 01, 2018 5:15 pm

oban14 wrote:
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:41 pm
That compressor idea sounds great. Any one you recommend with an orange?
I bought a used EHX Soul preacher recently and use it on all 4 of my amps. It's not one of these nutty pedals with 4 pots, just two pots and a switch and it really shapes and tames your tone well. Used pedals have been really good to me the past few years 😊