I’ve got questions about the new rocker 15 terrors

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

I’ve got questions about the new rocker 15 terrors

Post by pattyzero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:53 am

I’m in the market for a new amp and I’m interested in the new rocker 15 terrors. I’ve previously owned a tiny terror hardwired and a few other oranges and really liked them.

I played the rocker 15 Terror Brent hinds and thought it sounded great . I then played the rocker 15 combo and didn’t like it as much .
When I went home and read the reviews it made me wonder if the rocker 15 combos were different to the rocker terror 15 heads as the combo didn’t sound like the review said.

Anyone know ??

I’m also interested in anyone who’s been using the new rocker 15 terrors , especially if you’ve tried both types !!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: I’ve got questions about the new rocker 15 terrors

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 15, 2018 12:44 pm

The speaker you'll have tried each amp with will make a big difference.

Personally, I'd choose the terror rocker 15 so as to not be limited by the 10" speaker.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

pattyzero
Tiny Terror

Post by pattyzero » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:11 pm

I’d definitely choose a head , I’m just trying to weigh up the differences between the 2 !!

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:34 am

I originally ordered the Brent Hinds Terror immediately after they became available right after NAMM. At first, I wasn't too thrilled with it, its EQ was a bit too bright, so I exchanged it for the Rocker 15 Terror head, I preferred its gain over the Brent model even though the BH's gain was more aggressive. Along with the Rocker 15 head I also have the Jim Root Terror, Dark Terror, and Micro Dark Terror. Later on however, I decided to buy the BH Terror back, wanted to keep the family together. Never had the combo so I cannot speak for that but I am sure that the differences you are hearing is because of what speaker is in there. I use my Terror heads thru 4 different cabs, I mix and match them all the time. For the most part, they are similar in tonality but have a few distinctive variations of tone between each of them.

But the best speakers I have heard these heads thru are:
Celestion Vintage 30 (which are in my custom white straight Marshall 412 & modified Blackstar HT112)
Celestion 70th Anniversary in my two EVH 5150 III 112 cabs
Don't own a 212 since I can take any 2 of my 112 cabs and use them both thru the amp's dual speaker outputs.
I'm sure that Celestion Creambacks and Greenbacks maybe even Redbacks as well as other brands like Weber, Warehouse, Eminence, EV sound just as great.
Last edited by stargazer747 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:51 am

The Rocker 15 Terror and combo are the same amp according to Ade the designer. The small cab and 10" speaker on the combo don't do it justice in my opinion. When I played it I was not too impressed, knowing how a Rocker sounds. Makes for a nice compact grab and go or practice amp. Haven't played the head yet, but the demos I've heard through a good cab sound fuller than the combo I played.