Any downsides to second hand cabs or amps?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

TopHatCat

Any downsides to second hand cabs or amps?

Post by TopHatCat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm

subject speaks for itself, i'm looking at dark terrors and the ppc112.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Re: Any downsides to second hand cabs or amps?

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:59 pm

No real downside to a used cab - but if you buy a used tube amp of any kind, you should plan on buying new tubes for it all around if it's a recent head - if it's vintage, you should plan on taking it to an amp tech to make sure electronics are in order.

TopHatCat

Post by TopHatCat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:06 pm

thanks man!

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:19 pm

You bet.

That said, a 2X12 is going to be better if you can find one/ afford it.

TopHatCat

Post by TopHatCat » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm

isn't the difference just volume? im just looking for my first head and cab to play at home.

mici88
Tiny Terror

Post by mici88 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm

TopHatCat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm
Nah, you'll be fine. Two rules:

1) collect the item in person and check on-site if everything is all right
2) if point 1) is not possible then consider buying from well-known, trusted second hand shop.

My second-hand gear:

Rockerverb MK1 50w (collected in person, I drove around 100 km)
PPC 212 (shipped from friend's friend)
88' Fender Telecaster (shipped from excellent vintage guitar shop in Poland)
94' Fender Stratocaster (again, shipped from excellent vintage guitar shop in Poland)
1992 Marshall JCM900 1x12 combo (collected in person, aroudn 50 km from my town).

So far, so good, no unpleasant suprises.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:07 pm

There's one serious down side to buying 2nd hand.

Its really much cheaper.... and can be addictive. I own a 2nd hand Orange AD15, Orange R30 head, Genz Benz Black Pearl 30, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Blackstar HT1R..... for all if that, it didn't cost me the price of my RV50 MKI and PPC212 bought new in 2009.

See, you can develop a slight collection issue.

All kidding aside.... no warranty. You can usually plan for new power valves.
I've had to do some minor repairs on my amps too.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm

I prefer to buy second hand these days but a bit of leg work is required.

Cabs - 1. good quality ones like orange are built like tanks and will last for decades if they are looked after 2. plus the speaker will be well worn in, which is a major plus, also much cheaper.

Amps - ditto point 1, condition will give u a good indication ask when last serviced and revalved. A full revalve can cost 100 or so depending on amp. Try it out before buying and don't buy one through the post unless it's from a well respected guitar shop.

And the 212 open back is a much better cab IMO than the 112 and will probably be a saving in the long run.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:02 am

almost all the stuff i've bought recently is second hand. i buy a lot of things on craigslist and just make sure i check it out before i hand over money. and for me i am into modding my stuff a lot so it's better to buy second hand.

my best playing guitar atm (not my favorite mind you) was a cheap jackson v i bought used for around $100 that i swapped the neck out for a jackson dinky reverse neck with sharkfin inlays which i bought for around $80. sold the take off neck for $50.

about the only thing i have been buying that is new here lately is donner pedals. light on the wallet and they sound amazing for the price.

btw that xenyx 802 mixer i mentioned in your other post i bought used for $40. the guy i bought it from said he used it a few times. not a scratch on it, box was perfect, and it had all the paperwork with it. i've definitely put more wear on it than he did and i am pretty gentle with my gear.

just check the stuff out before you hand over your money and you should be fine.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 am

TopHatCat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:45 pm
isn't the difference just volume? im just looking for my first head and cab to play at home.
There's a slight difference in volume and a large difference in sound. For home use, I wouldn't bother with a larger cab. Though if you are planning on joining a band or jamming with friends and a drummer is involved, you may consider the 2x12. The PPC212OB is a nice sounding cab, and a bit cheaper, smaller, lighter and more open sounding than the closed back version. It has less low end though.

The cabinet is easily responsible for 50% of the sound of any particular setup. It makes as much difference as the amp does, or more in some cases. Speakers are the majority of that, but the box itself also makes a notable difference.

It takes years for some of us to figure that out. I think most guitar players spend a lot of time thinking that all cabinets are essentially the same. Most amps sound more alike than most speakers do!
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:51 am

fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 am
TopHatCat wrote:
There's a slight difference in volume and a large difference in sound. For home use, I wouldn't bother with a larger cab. Though if you are planning on joining a band or jamming with friends and a drummer is involved, you may consider the 2x12. The PPC212OB is a nice sounding cab, and a bit cheaper, smaller, lighter and more open sounding than the closed back version. It has less low end though.

The cabinet is easily responsible for 50% of the sound of any particular setup. It makes as much difference as the amp does, or more in some cases. Speakers are the majority of that, but the box itself also makes a notable difference.

It takes years for some of us to figure that out. I think most guitar players spend a lot of time thinking that all cabinets are essentially the same. Most amps sound more alike than most speakers do!

i tend to agree. and even in cabs with 2 or more speakers that are the same those speakers can sound drastically different. that used to bug me when i was trying to figure out which speaker to mic in my 4x12. it's like "well which speaker sounds better to me today?"

TopHatCat

Post by TopHatCat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:53 am

mici88 wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 7:37 pm
TopHatCat wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 3:05 pm
Nah, you'll be fine. Two rules:

1) collect the item in person and check on-site if everything is all right
2) if point 1) is not possible then consider buying from well-known, trusted second hand shop.

My second-hand gear:

Rockerverb MK1 50w (collected in person, I drove around 100 km)
PPC 212 (shipped from friend's friend)
88' Fender Telecaster (shipped from excellent vintage guitar shop in Poland)
94' Fender Stratocaster (again, shipped from excellent vintage guitar shop in Poland)
1992 Marshall JCM900 1x12 combo (collected in person, aroudn 50 km from my town).

So far, so good, no unpleasant suprises.
thanks dude that's helpful. i can drive to a ton of options near me. btw I'm really damn jealous of that 88' fender!

TopHatCat

Post by TopHatCat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:56 am

Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Mon Jul 09, 2018 8:50 pm
I prefer to buy second hand these days but a bit of leg work is required.

Cabs - 1. good quality ones like orange are built like tanks and will last for decades if they are looked after 2. plus the speaker will be well worn in, which is a major plus, also much cheaper.

Amps - ditto point 1, condition will give u a good indication ask when last serviced and revalved. A full revalve can cost 100 or so depending on amp. Try it out before buying and don't buy one through the post unless it's from a well respected guitar shop.

And the 212 open back is a much better cab IMO than the 112 and will probably be a saving in the long run.
awesome man, thanks i know a store and a ton of used 212's near me.

TopHatCat

Post by TopHatCat » Tue Jul 10, 2018 10:00 am

fiveightandten wrote:
Tue Jul 10, 2018 3:37 am
TopHatCat wrote:

That's really good to know, wouldn't want to find that out the hard way.

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:18 pm

Tolex and I don't get along well. There are many others like me. :lol: