Thuderverb 50 to Dual Dark 100 upgrade!!!? Makes sense? Is it worth it?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

dflipp

Thuderverb 50 to Dual Dark 100 upgrade!!!? Makes sense? Is it worth it?

Post by dflipp » Fri Jul 06, 2018 5:06 pm

So, I'm considering it... Upgrading from my current Thunderverb 50 to a Dual Dark 100!

I like the fact that the Dual Dark has a extra gain stage and keeps the main functions and controls I love about my Thunderverb, namely the awesome attenuator and "no-frills" shape control.

Also, a "more modern sounding amp" would be a plus. And the 50 to 100 "power increase", and extra headroom, would make it (to me) the perfect "no-need-to-upgrade for the next 50 years amp"!!! If you are into "heavy sounding distorted rock sound", that is...

What do you say? I would like to hear your thoughts and opinions on this.

Also, if you can point me to a "comparison post" (or reading) between these two amps, or better yet, a video or sound clip it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Thuderverb 50 to Dual Dark 100 upgrade!!!? Makes sense? Is it worth it?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:58 pm

If you need more volume and more clean headroom, more wattage is the only way to go.

However you will get more low end too..... which you may or may not wish for.

Then the core tone of the dual dark is pretty different too, as you know. Very modern, whereas the Thunderverb are vintage modern voiced.

Can you afford the keep the TV50 too? ;)
That'd be the best way. Simply build up your Orange collection. :mrgreen:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:05 pm

I would urge you to check out the DD50 instead of the DD100. I had the 100 and it was too much low end for me. Great amp otherwise. I have heard that the dd50 has less low end and is more preferred by guys wanting modern metal tones. I would second keeping your TV and getting another head.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

dflipp

Post by dflipp » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm

Hey guys! Thanks a lot for the replies. Awesome!

Unfortunately I can't afford to have both. So... About this "low-end" I'm trying to find some video reviews so I can "have a feel" for the difference between the DD50 and DD100. Help me if you will. Thanks.

Also, as for now, can you guys give me some tips on I can get my current amp, Thunderverb 50, into de "Dual Dark Territory". OD/Boost it! With what?

Thanks in advance!

Cheers,

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm

Doesn't the 100 have wattage switching? Drop it to 50 and enjoy! You will always have the 100 watts of clean headroom should you need it.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 08, 2018 7:34 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm
Doesn't the 100 have wattage switching? Drop it to 50 and enjoy! You will always have the 100 watts of clean headroom should you need it.
With the bigger transformer, I believe the low end will pretty much remain regardless of wattage selection.
Ant

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:16 am

Yep, the bigger transformer is the “issue” (it was an issue for me but others might not think so)

The low end is tough because if you want the brutality of the dual dark, the magic is definitely in channel B. However you can’t really get rid of the low end because you only have the shape knob. I have a TH30 and have played a dark terror as well a lot so I am used to the shape knob and it is quite useful on those amps but I couldn’t really get along with it on the DD.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:59 am

I have a Dark Terror and the PPC112 with that V30. There was a noticeable amount of “bass” coming from that closed back cab. I don't think it was coming from the DT. I tuned my pickups to this setup which meant just lowering my neck and bridge pickups a touch on the 6th-string side and raising less than a touch...the 1st-string side. Those adjustments and the the natural breaking in of the V30 helped my tone be a bit less “bass” oriented, YMMV when considering the DD100.

adkguy07

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon Jul 09, 2018 4:37 pm

EQ PEDAL!

Gorgar
Tiny Terror

Post by Gorgar » Tue Jul 10, 2018 4:04 pm

dflipp wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:48 pm
Also, as for now, can you guys give me some tips on I can get my current amp, Thunderverb 50, into de "Dual Dark Territory". OD/Boost it! With what?
I didn't watch that many reviews, and only played a DD once in a shop, but I didn't hear anything in it that would make me want to give up the reverb in the TV. The DD looks cool...but then, so does the TV.

I'd put an EQ in the loop and see if that will give you what you want. If you use it to increase volume, then you have more headroom. I don't use boost pedals, but something that cuts bass like a Distortion+ will tighten up the TV. A distortion pedal that has the modern sound you want would also make a big difference in the loop; use less gain from the amp, more from the pedal, and the whole thing will respond more like the pedal does.

Regarding selling Thunderverbs: I sold my 50 and 200 to buy some Laney LA100BLs. I'm happy with the Laneys, but I went back to the shop and bought my Thunderverbs back, too. There's really nothing like them. I don't use them every day, but they're there when I want them, which is often enough. Point being, you may regret selling it later. I did.

Hubaxe
Orange Expert

Post by Hubaxe » Tue Jul 10, 2018 5:34 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Sun Jul 08, 2018 5:51 pm
On my TH100, I always try to switch down to 50W, and a few minutes after, I switch back to 100 W, not a question of volume, but the headroom difference is significant.

To get the full advantage od a 100W, avoid A sngle 12" speaker.. minimum 2X12, and the full potential comes with a 4X12.

dflipp

Post by dflipp » Sat Jul 14, 2018 5:48 pm

I already have a clean boost (Pigtronix Class A Boost) and excuse me me for the "blasphemy" I would like my Thunderverb to become closer to "5150 modern" of some sorts.... But still with a "touch of Orange in it". It's actually a weird thing to want. (?) "Tighter and a little more modern but still with the Orange twist".

That's why I was thinking about the "DD upgrade" but, I could maybe save some serious money and get some pedals, yeah!

In "theory" I'm thinking a Maxon OD808 or an OCD (in the loop?).They were both once "recommended" on the Orange blog as "working great with Oranges". I care about that kind of stuff and I really can't afford to "buy for trials".

I might try an EQ also...

Thanks for your help guys! I'm not really that experienced with pedals and I'm not a "guitar authority" of any sorts. I do know how I would like to sound tough...

Keep you input coming. Any and all thoughts and ideas about this are very much welcomed!

Cheers,

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:08 am

To be honest, from your description, the dual dark seems right up your alley.

If you have to work to make your amp sound different for your core tone, you have the wrong amp.

At the end of the day, a number of people complained thay the B channel of the Thunderverb was too dark - a comment you haven't made, so you may just be fine with the dual dark. There's only o e way to find out for sure though......

Can you get to try one anywhere? Hire one for a couple of weeks?
Ant

dflipp

Post by dflipp » Fri Aug 17, 2018 4:18 am

Hmmm... I can't hire but I can probably A/B one at the local music shop. I can have it send here so I can try it, as long as it's in stock in any shop from the chain.

Actually I was thinking of A/B'ing the Dual Dark 100 and the Rockerverb 100 MKIII. I'm having seconds thoughts about this. They say the Rockerverb is more versatile and I like the idea of having a jack-of-all-trades amp that will be the last one I'll ever need...

What do you guys think? How will they differ and which are the plus and down sides of each one?

And each one would you prefer?

Let me hear your thoughts!

Thanks in advance!

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:34 pm

I started with a DD100 and then about a 1 ½ years later picked up a RV100 MKIII and had both for about a year. Hands down, the RV is more flexible. The DD does one thing really well but the RV is the kind of amp that can do about anything you need unless it is something super specific.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard