Orange crush 20 Dirty control settings

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Thomas1969

Orange crush 20 Dirty control settings

Post by Thomas1969 » Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 am

Hi guys, I just brought a secondhand orange crush 20 and repaired it. One thing Ive noticed though is that the Dirty knob gives more distortion as you turn it down. if you turn it up it cleans up and then ends up sounding a lot like the clean Channel. is this how its supposed to work?

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Re: Orange crush 20 Dirty control settings

Post by lunchbox » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:00 pm

What do you mean by you repaired it? Did you re-wire the pots or something?

It sounds like the gain pot is wired backward/incorrectly.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:47 pm

Thomas1969 wrote:
Sat Jun 30, 2018 1:44 am
Hi guys, I just brought a secondhand orange crush 20 and repaired it. One thing Ive noticed though is that the Dirty knob gives more distortion as you turn it down. if you turn it up it cleans up and then ends up sounding a lot like the clean Channel. is this how its supposed to work?
It is now! :mrgreen:

Sounds like a pot is reverse wired - I'd live with it as a quirk!

Thomas1969

Post by Thomas1969 » Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:06 am

No I didn’t touch the pots. All I did was replace the blown TDA2050 with an LM1875.

Someone said to me what it’s going is normal because the guitar volume will increase and decrease the distortion as well. So whilst I’m turning up the dirty knob and it’s getting loud, I’m turning down the guitar volume knob to lower the volume so the distortion drops too.
I have noticed that if I don’t touch the guitar volume the distortion stays as I increase the dirty knob up past 5. After that it’s way too loud. I must take it work one day where I can really crank it.

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Fri Jul 06, 2018 4:44 pm

Odd little quirk. I know one of the features of the crush series that they never really advertised was that you could drive the clean channel to break up naturally like a valve amp. It sounds wonderful when you've for the amp volume pegged. I'm assuming the dirt channel gets dirtier as its driven harder, as well.