Advice on getting more volume?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: Advice on getting more volume?

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:13 am

Coming from a punk rock and indie background, I used to play insanely loud. Like, 100W amp on 10 through a 4x12 loud.

Over the years I've learned that there's rarely a drummer and drum kit that you need more than a 15W amp to match. There are 3 issues with volume if your 15W amp can't compete; either you're using too much gain, you're not using enough midrange, or the other amplified people are too loud.

In some situations, you can't get the gain down without things sounding weak. But the majority of us use more gain than we need. It's tough to hear things in the context of the band, when you spend your brain power paying attention to your own instrument. But at loud volumes, less gain typically sounds more persuasive and heavier, and cuts more.

On to the other people. It's tough to tell people to turn down. But sometimes it needs to happen.

My drummer bangs pretty hard on his big Yamaha kit with huge maple shells and 18" crashes. It's crazy loud. I use a Vox AC-15 and I half the volume up like halfway. Any more and I'm blowing the rest of the band off the stage. Try getting the band to turn down. Start with the bass and drums. Bass amp on zero and turn up only until it's loud enough to match the drums. Do the same with everyone. You'll be surprised how quiet things actually.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI