Amp blowing fuses

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

afjungemann
Rocker

Amp blowing fuses

Post by afjungemann » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:38 am

I posted about an AD30TC combo I bought recently and it had a nasty sound that I thought was tube vibration, as per the advice here, I replaced the tubes and sure enough it was a microphonic tube.

Now I seem to have another issue with blowing a fuse. I have played it quite a bit and not had any issue and the. I blew both fuses last week. I figured they would possibly be weak since they lived 10 years in a guitar store but I replaced them and played a while, everything was fine until I put it to standby again and flipped back to play and no sound came out again. I checked and it blew a fuse (the one closest to the D plug). I replaced it again and tried and it immediately blew the same fuse.

Any thoughts? Seems like it is popping out of safety as there is a problem elsewhere in the amp, right?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Re: Amp blowing fuses

Post by fiveightandten » Thu Jun 21, 2018 2:07 am

The most common cause of blown fuses in an AD30 would be a bad power tube or bad rectifier tube.

Replace the EL-84's and the GZ34 with trusted tubes. Put new fuses in and try again. This will likely solve the issue. I'm assuming the tube you replaced was a pre-amp tube. If that's not the case, we'll do more trouble shooting.

Stop using the standby switch. From my experience, it leads to premature rectifier tube failure. Leave it in the ON position at all times. The GZ34 is soft start and this will not harm the amp or the tubes.

-Nick
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Thu Jun 21, 2018 6:17 am

Yep, sorry to say but most likely a tube (again)
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. I replaced all of the tubes. Unfortunately I threw the others away so I can’t test out the others. The place I ordered tubes from said to send the ones in question back in to them for testing... kind of an annoying process but likely how I should proceed.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 pm

One thing I checked on is the fuses I ordered. I ordered the same fuses that was in it but the filament section of the new fuses is extremely thin while the originals are more robust. I am sure I should be using slow blow fuses but i would have thought ordering the same number on the fuse would give me that, no?
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 21, 2018 5:40 pm

afjungemann wrote:
Thu Jun 21, 2018 1:45 pm
One thing I checked on is the fuses I ordered. I ordered the same fuses that was in it but the filament section of the new fuses is extremely thin while the originals are more robust. I am sure I should be using slow blow fuses but i would have thought ordering the same number on the fuse would give me that, no?

Fuse of the same rating can look different depending on materials used.

The only fuse I've blown on my AD15 was caused by the valve heater system failing. The crappy crimping connectors failed - but that was pretty visible.

All light were off, and only the GZ34 warmed up as it gets its heater supply from a different source.

I've since removed all crimping connectors and hardwired the heater supply to the preamp and power valves.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute