New Guy Here. Got My First Orange Amp. 35RT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

painted_klown

New Guy Here. Got My First Orange Amp. 35RT

Post by painted_klown » Mon Jun 18, 2018 6:08 am

Hello all,

New to the forum here. I am essentially a beginner player, but have owned guitars for a long time. I started taking lessons as a teen, then learned how to do power chords and that was really it. LOL! I discovered that a lot of songs used them, so I felt I knew enough to go write my own music. :oops:

I later quit playing altogether for roughly 10 years. When asked why, I would always answer with "I don't know." After really contemplating this a lot, I dug deep and realized that I really quit playing because I wasn't any good at it. That was the truth.

A bit over a year ago now, I decided to actually learn how to play better. I started doing an online course, and learned several open chords. I recently learned my first scale, to begin playing leads. Oddly, I had never attempted doing lead guitar before, but I find myself loving it and feeling like I am actually starting to learn.

During the course of this time, my sole amp has been an old Epiphone Valve Jr amp head ran into a Vox V112TV cab that I loaded with a Celestion G12T-75. I had never put new tubes in it the entire time I've owned it, so I re-tubed it with JJs. I was hoping it would breathe new life into my Epi, but it still sounded essentially the same, and wasn't practical for my current needs. Due to this, I really just played unplugged and my Epi just sat there gathering dust. I needed an actual practice amp.

I began looking to see what was available, and got turned onto Orange Amps. I don't even remember what got me looking at them, but I knew what I needed. I wanted a low cost, smaller practice amp with built in reverb. I preferred the idea of solid state to tube (need to keep the volume down most of the time), but I am not completely sold on digital/modeling amps yet. After I learned what an effects loop is, I also had to have one of those. LOL! :mrgreen:

All of this led me to really wanting an Orange Crush 35RT. I pined and pined for one until yesterday. As a fathers day present, my GF bought me a 35RT amp, as well as an On Stage amp stand to go with it. Woot!!! 8)

I played with it all night and today as well. As much as I have wanted one of these, I was extremely pleased when it exceeded all of my expectations for it. The biggest (and best) surprise to me was how loud it can get and still stay clean. I am not in a band these days, nor do I regularly jam with others, but I have no doubt that the 35RT could keep up with no troubles. Orange should have thrown a speaker output jack on here. Hook a cab up to it, and you'd be gig ready!

I like to record myself a lot and was curious about the emulated line out for that purpose. Admittedly, I am not a fan of amp sims on the PC as I always feel they just sound too artificial, and sound more like a DI signal than an amp being mic'd. The Orange 35RT "crushed" it when I ran into my interface. I expected it to be "ok" sounding, but it really delivered real recordable tones IMO. Not bad at all. 8)

My only quibble with the amp is that it is a bit noisy. If the amp is on and no signal is being played, there is audible hiss coming from the speaker. It's only noticeable when up close, but I like to mic guitar cabs right off the grill, so this may be a bit troublesome for me. I haven't mic'd it up yet, so it may not be a real factor though. I will be testing that tomorrow.

Anyway, I have written a novel here, but wanted to do a proper introduction, as well a bit of a review of the Orange Crush 35RT. I absolutely LOVE it, and decided to join this forum to celebrate!

Thanks for reading,

-Dave

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Re: New Guy Here. Got My First Orang kie Amp. 35RT

Post by satchmodog » Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm

This recent line of crush amps are real amps. They're voiced wonderfully and you can dime the thing and get a clear sound. Also, if you dime the clean channel, it actually has a sweet, natural break up, unlike other SS Amps. I unfortunately git the 20 and wish I'd gotten the 35. What I wound up doing is buying a two way toggle and a guitar Jack. Drilled two holes in the back of the amp head and took the speaker leads and wired them to the switch and the Jack. Now I can run it into my 212 or simply use it as it was intended. It's my road among for going on trips and vacation, so I wanted it to keep the portability. The Jack cost 2 dollars and I think I got a bag of ten switches off eBay for like four bucks lol

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: New Guy Here. Got My First Orange Amp. 35RT

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm

Congrats!

Lovely gift!!!
Remember...... be a good guitarist is good..... but having fun playing guitar is better.
Don't sweat it too much and enjoy the ride!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 am

Welcome on board.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

painted_klown

Post by painted_klown » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm

satchmodog wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm
This recent line of crush amps are real amps. They're voiced wonderfully and you can dime the thing and get a clear sound. Also, if you dime the clean channel, it actually has a sweet, natural break up, unlike other SS Amps. I unfortunately git the 20 and wish I'd gotten the 35. What I wound up doing is buying a two way toggle and a guitar Jack. Drilled two holes in the back of the amp head and took the speaker leads and wired them to the switch and the Jack. Now I can run it into my 212 or simply use it as it was intended. It's my road among for going on trips and vacation, so I wanted it to keep the portability. The Jack cost 2 dollars and I think I got a bag of ten switches off eBay for like four bucks lol
Yeah, I feel like these really are great amps, especially considering the feature set and price. They seem to be pretty popular as well, especially with the online communities.
Don't kick yourself too hard for buying the 20RT. Initially, that was my plan as well. I ended up being swayed to the 35RT due to the effects loop, to be honest. Sure, the larger speaker is nice, but IMO, the 20 RT is a fine amp as well. Kudos to you for modding it to suit your needs even better. An external speaker jack is the only feature I would really have loved to see added to the Crush line of amps.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Congrats!

Lovely gift!!!
Remember...... be a good guitarist is good..... but having fun playing guitar is better.
Thank you. I am really enjoying this amp, to be sure! It's been a crazy couple of days, so I have not yet had the opportunity to throw a mic on it for recording, but the little time I have had with it, has been a pleasure.
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 am
Welcome on board.
Thank you. I'm happy and excited to finally have an Orange amp and "join the club" so-to-speak. HAHAHA! :mrgreen:

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Sat Jun 23, 2018 4:47 pm

painted_klown wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:33 pm
satchmodog wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 4:23 pm
Yeah, I feel like these really are great amps, especially considering the feature set and price. They seem to be pretty popular as well, especially with the online communities.
Don't kick yourself too hard for buying the 20RT. Initially, that was my plan as well. I ended up being swayed to the 35RT due to the effects loop, to be honest. Sure, the larger speaker is nice, but IMO, the 20 RT is a fine amp as well. Kudos to you for modding it to suit your needs even better. An external speaker jack is the only feature I would really have loved to see added to the Crush line of amps.
Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon Jun 18, 2018 8:52 pm
Congrats!

Lovely gift!!!
Thank you. I am really enjoying this amp, to be sure! It's been a crazy couple of days, so I have not yet had the opportunity to throw a mic on it for recording, but the little time I have had with it, has been a pleasure.
Ronnie Robinson wrote:
Tue Jun 19, 2018 4:53 am
Welcome on board.
Thank you. I'm happy and excited to finally have an Orange amp and "join the club" so-to-speak. HAHAHA! :mrgreen:
If you're interested, I can get you a schematic and parts list to do your own mod. It literally took a half hour from start to clean up. And sweet baby Jesus does the amp sound good through a Pp212