I'm after my first real show - five fresh thoughts!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

mici88
Tiny Terror

I'm after my first real show - five fresh thoughts!

Post by mici88 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:49 am

Yesterday was a big day for me - I played my first real in a local club. Rather small venue, not much people in the audience (we were first band to open the party). Everything was going through PA (SM57 on my Rockerverb 50 + PPC212). We had 45 minutes and we did 8 our songs with one cover. A spy shot (I'm the bald one in front of Orange)

Well, it was a long-awaited and awesome experience for me! Standing on the stage, looking at the people waiting for us to rock, playing a solo in a lights... I really wanted to do it one day! Anyway I have some fresh thoughts about live playing to share with you.

1) Take it easy. You are here to have and to give fun. Weird thing is that I was not stressed at all, just a little excitement and anxiety. And we had only two rehearsals before, because whole show was quite spontaneous idea.

2) People do not care about your mistakes, but they do care about your attitude on stage. I messed up few times (not-in-key notes during solo, incorrect chords in the chorus), but still I was doing my job with a smile and joy on my face. I asked few people after the show "How was my playing" and really, noone (except other musicians) noticed my mistakes but they said I was playing and looking very professional and confident on a stage!

3) Serve the song. There is nothing worse than making a 30 second solo last for 4 minutes of senseless lead guitar show-off. Play what you are suppossed to play, but little extra fill here and there won't hurt!

4) The "Turn the f**k down" is the rule to be learnt for every single guitarist. I was really suprised how my sound improved when I turned the gain and volume down on my rockerverb - more clarity, more attack, more punch. If I needed an extra kick, Maxon OD-9 was under my foot.

5) Make contacts after the show. Apparently the worst thing to do is to pack up and leave immediately. Stay a while, exchange phone numbers, maybe plan another show with bands, talk to audience and more experienced musicians - what was okay, what needs to be improved, how they liked the songs and our overall tone.

Well, that's it. All I can say is that I'm stage hungry right now!

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: I'm after my first real show - five fresh thoughts!

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm

Excellent glad you enjoyed it !

I absolutely love playing live you feed off he audience and the audience feeds off you. ...just think how much more confident you'll be after 50 gigs!

Totally agree with those points you make.. An old seasoned guitarist once told me that the audience wants to like you ...and I've found that to be entirely true.

Point 5 made me smile and totally true.... if your playing at the gig with a number of bands never turn up 5 mins before and leave straight after you've finished... It's considered quite rude and other people will notice.... Best to make an afternoon on it and enjoy some of the other entertainment!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Dark Helmet
Orange Master

Re: I'm after my first real show - five fresh thoughts!

Post by Dark Helmet » Tue Jun 26, 2018 4:32 pm

I miss playing live..... ungh....
Dark Lord of the Schwartz
AD15/12
AD30TC
AD50
AD140
Thunderverb50

2016 Gibson LP Standard
2012 Gibson LP Classic Custom
2017 Gibson Firebird Studio T
Epi Les Paul (used to be) Standard