Tube rattle problems - what to do?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

benthemightyhen

Tube rattle problems - what to do?

Post by benthemightyhen » Thu Jun 14, 2018 9:59 pm

So, I got my Rocker 15 about 3 months ago. It had some sort of rattling sounds from the get-go, but it either got worse over time or I just started playing louder over time, so it got annoying so I dissected my amp trying to find the cause. I thought it was the aluminum cage over the tubes, and taking it out helped a little bit, but it still has rattle. Given that the cage wasn't there, I followed the internet's advice and took a pencil and touched the tube with the eraser end while playing the rattly notes. It did temporarily make the rattling stop, so I assume that it's the tubes (the tubes that don't have a metal cover, which I think are the power tubes.)

So my question is, do I have to buy new tubes or can I (somehow) tighten the ones that are there so I don't have to spend money on new tubes? And if I have to buy new tubes, what brands should I look for?

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Tube rattle problems - what to do?

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:56 am

If the valves are creating the rattle, they are microphonic. You can't fix it without changing the offending valve.

The only difficulty I ascertaining which valve produces that rattle. Could be preamp or power valve.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:54 am

I think the OP is talking about a mechanical rattle - not one amplified by the valves.

If so, the rattle shouldn't get louder when you turn up the volume. It must be pretty loud if you can hear it over the sound of the amplifier...

I don't know the internal configuration of the Rocker 15 but power valves normally have some form of spring retainer. I suspect that some gentle "modification" or removal might solve the problem?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 15, 2018 11:22 am

Check everything in the amp that has a screw and tighten them first.

Then do the pencil test on the tubes with no tube retainers on and tap tubes with the amp on - if there's one that is microphonic, replace it.

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:28 pm

I'm presuming you bought it second hand or you would of contacted the dealer? So any idea on the age of the tubes?

The first and most likely culprit is the tubes but this is also an easy fix, if it's not under warranty buy some replacement valves and change one at a time and see if this fixes the problem. If monies tight just get one pre-amp tube first and try this.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30