new pedal board... new tech?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

new pedal board... new tech?

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:26 pm

I'm going to slowly rebuild my pedal board... I got a few parts still from before I hung everything up and sold a TON... I got a few ideas...

currently own:
Xotic AC Booster
Xotic RC Booster
Xotic BB Preamp CS
Emma Reezafratzitz
Crowther Hot Cake
Maxon AD999 delay
Retrosonic Phaser
Vox Time Machine
Vox Delay Lab
Vox Wah
EB Vol Jr.
TC Tuner
Line 6 Pod HD500

I plan on using the RV50 primarily but also plan to use my AC30 while I start putting other musicians together as it's easy to transport...

Currently my core plan is:
Wah - > Hot Cake - > Reeza or BB Pre - Retro Phaser -> Tremolo? -> Something cool -> Time Machine -> DL4

need a DL4 (for looping)
need a Trem pedal with tap tempo
need a "something cool"

open to suggestions!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: new pedal board... new tech?

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:41 pm

Hey!

Ditch the DL4 and get a Timeline. Absolutely amazing unit. For trem with tap I would suggest either the Strymon Flint, or the Empress Tremolo 2. Heck the Timeline has a trem delay that does the job for me. The TL would also kick the TM off your board. Would really free up some space for ya. Something cool? Hmm, what sort of cool are you looking for? Perhaps an H9 so you have an all in one crazy pedal? Then you have the option to program a different crazy thing once you get tired of the previous crazy thing.

GL!

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 08, 2018 5:59 pm

timeline doesn't do what I'm using the DL4 for which is live sampling and looping... well it does, but it seems a waste of such an awesome delay unit
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:00 pm

TL has a looper yea. I've used it for a few years till I got the Rang III. But yea if you are triggering samples nvm then :)

In that case I only suggest the flint or empress trem2 for your trem needs.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:56 pm

The Time Machine is a great delay.

Whilst i love a bit of tremolo, mine is all analog and i can't use the slow rate. Too difficult to sync to it. I'll be interested to hear what you find.

In terms of looper, why not a ditto? In getting better with it, and when set through the FX loop, it keeps everything very clear and defined, clean or dirty.

As for something fun...... fuzzes!!!! Ive loved the fuzz factory because it's so nuts, and the swollen pickle is a brilliant box of filth.
I love fuzzes. Usually have at least 2 or 3 on my board.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:34 pm

I know the DL4 very well for looping. If you check out Minus the Bear, this is were I'm taking inspiration from on how to use live loops in a live setting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-RFv5ko6t0 (0:49 seconds for the crazy)
-LK

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 08, 2018 9:57 pm

I'm insane...

shopping is dangerous.

Polytune -> Vox Wah - > Hot Cake -> Bax Bangeetar -> Emma Reezafratzitz -> Earthquaker Rainbow Machine -> POG2 Nano -> Retrosonic Phaser -> TC Electronic Pipeline Tap Trem -> Vox Time Machine -> Vox Delay Lab -> Line 6 DL4 -> AC30

When switching to my RV50 the Bax will come out, a channel switch drops into it's place, and the Phaser through Dl4 will go into an FX loop.

I'm going to use both the Delay Lab and the DL4 as live loopers/samplers, but the Delay Lab will also switch over for extra delays because I love layering that crap. Time Machine for delay when I'm using both systems.

The Rainbow Machine seems really cool. The POG is also really wicked, I had a 2... but I think the nano will be fine for future use. This will probably come a one or the other to start... but I'm excited to try out the Earthquaker

The Pipleline Tap Trem seems perfect because it's nice and compact and has quite a bit of tweaking. Trem is my fav effect... I'm curious if it will be as powerful as a Diamond Trem, but hey. We will see, worst case I'll trade it for the Diamond Trem... just trying to not go crazy on money spending.
-LK