NAD tomorrow. Probably. Orange DT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Rozz
Tiny Terror

NAD tomorrow. Probably. Orange DT

Post by Rozz » Wed Jun 06, 2018 6:01 pm

Going to demo a Dual Terror tomorrow and I am pretty sure I will get it. We have a fairly regular gig now and they have their own cabs (not Orange, but V30 loaded) and it has given me the excuse I need to get one. I’ve always lusted after it a bit but already have 2 Oranges. The portability will be really useful anyway and if it matches my TH30c for volume (all of our local gigs are unmiked, small to medium size pubs and clubs), which I guess it should at least for rock/crunch sounds, it will be fine. YouTube videos etc suggest it can get reasonably clean and that is all I need really. For some gigs it would be cool to run the TH30c and the DT together. No effects loop on the DT of course, but I expect reverb and delay should be ok through the front, I do that with the TH30c sometimes and it’s fine. When I get it, I will sell my Blues Cube Artist as I am covered for any backup requirements and the TH30c and CR120 have a really nice clean and if I need a bit more power, I have the CR120. My collection is building :lol:

While I am there, I am also going to demo the Victory V40 Duchess, but that is more out of interest than anything, I don’t want to use pedals to get dirt, the Oranges, for me, do that fine already. That amp is supposed to be very clean. Bit pricey anyway although it is hand built in the UK. If I was going to spend that sort of money, I would probably get the AD30 anyway, another wish list amp.

Im looking forward to tomorrow. :D
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Re: NAD tomorrow. Probably. Orange DT

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:19 pm

Cool let us know how you get on !!
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:28 pm

Ace!!!!

Nothing wrong with building a small Orange collection. I have 3 of them too, it seems to be a good number.

By the way...... the AD30 is fantastic. ;)
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 pm

Three here too. Oh wait soon to be 4... Woops :)

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu Jun 07, 2018 10:49 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Thu Jun 07, 2018 9:33 pm
Three here too. Oh wait soon to be 4... Woops :)
Oh no.... what a terrible accident..... :lol:
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Fri Jun 08, 2018 12:06 pm

Went up to London yesterday and demoed the Dual Terror and Victory V40 Duchess and (I knew I would), bought the DT. :D It was delivered today as I went up there by train and didn't want to carry it back with me. It sounded exactly as I thought it would after seeing and hearing demo's etc and I got some great crunch tones out of it. I have only touched the surface at the moment, so will play around for a bit. No loud clean headroom, but I knew that would be the case. The tone control reacts differently to the TH30's shape control, for some reason I thought they would be the same, but they aren't. But I don't know why I thought that would be the case to be honest. It's a bit bigger than I imagined, reassuring in a way, but very portable of course. The gig bag is great too. So yes, very pleased.
The Victory V40 is a good amp though, superb cleans and light crunch, but I couldn't see how I could use that without a OD/distortion pedal, but that is exactly what they are advertised as, a good pedal platform. I want to use as few pedals as possible, keep it simple. Having said that, I did also buy a Boss R6 Reverb pedal. There was something about the V40 in the low registers I didn't like; when I played low E, it sort of distorted but not in a good way. I can't really articulate it very well, but I didn't like it. I was using an Orange 112 with V30 speaker, maybe that's not the best speaker for it. The guys in the shop (am I allowed to mention the shops name?) were very helpful and I ended up using a 59 reissue Les Paul. I wasn't keen on that, played very differently to my 2017 Classic and Traditional. Chunky neck too. Very expensive.
So, good day out. :)
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:18 pm

Excellent! I tried the V40 on my quest for a clean amp and I really wasn't a fan. It wasn't clean and sparkly like a fender, and like you said couldn't really get crunchy. An odd one for me. I ended up returning it and lost a pile of money in the process. Oh well!

Enjoy the DT.
Last edited by Boy_Narf on Fri Jun 08, 2018 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:52 pm

congrats on the DT! It was a fav of mine when I had it. I like it a lot more than the R30... just wish it had an FX loop!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:20 pm

Congratulations on the new Orange amp! Your philosophy regarding Orange amps and your choice of guitars in your signature are close to my own; don't you know.

The Dual Terror seems like a worthy amp and I agree with you wanting to keep it simple when it comes to drive pedals. I have a couple of Les Pauls and two Strats. I like Orange's “take” on gain and even more so now that I have been playing my Dark Terror this past year. I have it paired with the PPC112. It's my one tube amp; in fact, my only real amp at this time. All I've added is a TC Hall Of Fame reverb pedal in it the amp's loop. I really don’t miss a 3-band e.q. as the DT shape feature does quite a bit for my tastes.

Wishing you luck with a superb Orange amp and many enjoyable hours ahead for you, I'm sure.

adkguy07

b80
Tiny Terror

Post by b80 » Thu Jun 14, 2018 1:39 pm

Glad you found an amp that works for you! I love my Dual Terror. While I do hope to own a Rockerverb one day, the DT covers everything I need in an amp. Plus, it's super portable and the power scaling makes it even more versatile!
My band The Start Up
Spotify