Settings for Thunderverb 50 head

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

11tonylevin

Settings for Thunderverb 50 head

Post by 11tonylevin » Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm

Hi
Wondering if anyone has, or knows where to get, sample settings for the TV 50 head. I just picked one up this weekend and despite its few knobs, it is clear that this amp is very versatile. I play 70s rock, on the heavier side of the rock, but not metal, so looking for a solid classic crunch. I thought I had seen an Orange manual, maybe the rockerverb, that had some typical settings for different styles of rock. I would like to start from such a reference and experiment from there vs starting from scratch. I use humbuckers almost exclusively, in fact my main guitar is a custom tele, set neck, with seymour duncam antiquity pickups. I also use a les paul copy from Godin that has Loller El-Rayo pickups which are very hot.
Alternately, anyone out there that wants to share their set up is more than welcome :)
thanks
tony

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Settings for Thunderverb 50 head

Post by Jondog » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:55 pm

I don’t have a TV50, but I’d try working with lots of mids, lower the bass and enough treble where its not shrill even if that means full. Start with the gain being clean when you pick lightly, and crunch when you hit them hard. Adjust from there. Thats how I do it on my Rocker. While they’re quite different, they share the same number of gain stages.
The shape knob will go between lots of treble and bass one way, to lots of mids the other way.

11tonylevin

Post by 11tonylevin » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:50 am

Hey Jondog
thanks for your suggestions. Will try them out. Funny thing is that I got turned on to Orange by fluke after accepting a Rocker 30 in a trade for a Marshall. Blew me away ! I just spent a few hours with the TV 50 but my first gut reaction was that the Rocker 30 had a natural and sweet crunch out of the box whereas the TV 50 seems to need some tweaking to get that same crunch. The reason I sought the TV is because of the attenuator....sound guys at the smaller venues are giving me a rough time with the volume levels of the R30.
Tony

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:32 am

The thing that I think helps is to completely forget about eq expectations in the traditional sense. I have had my amps at pretty wonky settings to look at but the sound was fantastic.

I agree with what was stated before, roll off the bass to start. I usually have mids and treble at noon, bass all the way at 9 o’clock and start messing. This is of course with my experience with RV, DD, and AD amps, not the TV.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard
gibson les paul studio
gibson melody maker

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:34 am

11tonylevin wrote:
Mon Jun 04, 2018 8:53 pm
Hi
Wondering if anyone has, or knows where to get, sample settings for the TV 50 head. I just picked one up this weekend and despite its few knobs, it is clear that this amp is very versatile. I play 70s rock, on the heavier side of the rock, but not metal, so looking for a solid classic crunch. I thought I had seen an Orange manual, maybe the rockerverb, that had some typical settings for different styles of rock. I would like to start from such a reference and experiment from there vs starting from scratch. I use humbuckers almost exclusively, in fact my main guitar is a custom tele, set neck, with seymour duncam antiquity pickups. I also use a les paul copy from Godin that has Loller El-Rayo pickups which are very hot.
Alternately, anyone out there that wants to share their set up is more than welcome :)
thanks
tony
I've been running mine the past few years with the eq and shape at noon and set the gain where ever you need it, at noon is fairly classic crunch, one caveat I use a SD-1 always on set as a clean boost and the tone max'd this gives me a treble boost since the amp is so dark. As of late I've eliminated the treble boost and have my eq set treble max'd, mids at 3 oclock and bass at 9 oclock, shape at 3 oclock, gain to taste.
Thunderverb 50