Anyone ever use a cab mic isolation thingy?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Anyone ever use a cab mic isolation thingy?

Post by bclaire » Thu May 31, 2018 1:54 am

Like one of these: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... ction.html

I'm intrigued... thinking I might get one.

Used like this (Stereophonics):

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Anyone ever use a cab mic isolation thingy?

Post by Jondog » Thu May 31, 2018 8:55 am

Not on a cab, but a store I was in had a non isolated vocal booth set up where you could test with and without one of those and see the soundwave audio file on a computer screen. Really made a difference I recall.
Cool little setup in the photo!

Mne

Post by Mne » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 am

Check it out for sure.
I use the original one on guitar cabs all the time now, it's great.
Was considering getting another one and got all excited about the new cab specific model until I saw the price.
But it would be better than the one I have if you're using it with a 57 or something like that. :)

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri Jun 01, 2018 12:46 am

Well, it gets delivered tomorrow... :mrgreen:

Got a gig tomorrow night so I'll try it out and report back.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Sat Jun 02, 2018 3:16 pm

looks like you could make one of those with some acoustic foam and a cheap mic stand. just need a way to mount the mic.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 pm

Well, hard to say how well it worked. Had the absolutely worst sound guy ever. Despite plexi in front of the amp, nothing was coming through the FOH. Let's just say at one point I realised that he didn't have ANY guitar in the mix and I threw the plexiglass across the room mid-song.

fiveightandten
Orange Master

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:06 pm

bclaire wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 pm
Well, hard to say how well it worked. Had the absolutely worst sound guy ever. Despite plexi in front of the amp, nothing was coming through the FOH. Let's just say at one point I realised that he didn't have ANY guitar in the mix and I threw the plexiglass across the room mid-song.
That’s the worst!

One of my bands has a pedal steel player. Our last gig, the sound guy mixed the 2 of us up. We’re on opposite sides, but somehow he got nothing but me and I got nothing but him. It’s really tough to sort something like that without coming off like a bunch of complainers to the audience. After the 5th or 6th song, we just stopped asking. But damn it’s hard to play without hearing yourself!

Anyways, that mic baffle looks interesting. I guess it would kill cymbal bleed. I wonder how much it affects the sound of the amp. Keep us updated, and better luck next gig.
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:01 am

bclaire wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:36 pm

I wonder if he eleven realised why you took your plexiglass off. There aren't many reasons to put it in front of your amp, I hope he got the message!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sun Jun 03, 2018 3:45 am

Oh, he realized. He walked away from the sound board for the rest of the night. I haven't wanted to punch someone so bad....

Just went back to the club and the same guy was mixing my friends band - no guitars in the mix; vocals totally drenched in reverb; awful mix.