OT: Ideas For Compact Guitar Display?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

OT: Ideas For Compact Guitar Display?

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 pm

Hello Everyone,

So I've finally done what I swore never to do and bought a house in the suburbs :) Currently having flashbacks of neighbours banging on my window telling me to shut up with the drums...

ANYWAY!!!

I didn't exactly get the dream music space I wanted, but my wife has been kind enough to offer me the entire basement, minus the space required for a couch and TV. I did however get my dream workshop so I'm quite please about that. So, my plan since I was very young was to have a guitar room, displaying all of my beauties on the wall. Of course I'm dumb and I have something like 15 guitars at this point meaning they won't all fit on traditional hangers since the guitar room also will be my office. I would love some ideas/pictures on how you folks fit a large number of guitars in a small space. I should have around 8-10 feet of wall space to make this happen. As a final option I will pickup one of those sideways floor holders, though I've never been a fan as the guitars always seem to get banged up.

Thanks everyone :D

Wired
Orange Master

Re: OT: Ideas For Compact Guitar Display?

Post by Wired » Tue May 29, 2018 6:49 pm

haha, you're preaching to the choir. I've been told I can no longer take over the house with my crap... so my office must house: 7 guitars, two amps, my work station/desk, my cameras, my studio lights, and all my star wars stuff/lego displays. The problem is I essentially only have one wall as the opposite wall is access to the stairs and furnace room, not to mention the garage entry.

So my plan is just to buy a bunch of small stands and put my "most prized" guitars in line in front of the big shelf unit. Worse case a side rack. My aC30 will go in front of the roll top beside the shelf. my Orange amp is already sitting on my desk (not pictured). Roll top will house my cameras and most of my star wars gaming stuff. I'm going to put other shelves up for the rest... I should have enough wall space to hang 2 guitars, one of which will be my diseased uncles Les Paul and the other an acoustic we used for our wedding guest book.

it sucks because it's a large room, but has very poor utilization available. so I would love ideas as well.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Tue May 29, 2018 8:43 pm

congrats on the new place!

i've got the same problem. i am down to 11 guitars now. but i plan on getting more this year as well. most of mine are hung on the wall at the moment. and one of my main problems is that out of the 11 that i have now 5 of them are flying v's.

i dunno if you are on pinterest but there are some good guitar storage/display ideas on there if you look. some are rather off the wall ideas but work well. i've seen a few where the guitar(s) are hung or stood on parts of desks or other pieces of furniture like that.

you could always do something like this ......

they sell them at drsracks.com but they are EXPENSIVE for what they are. you could easily make a rack like that for about a 1/4 or less of what they are charging. if you look around they make some too that are basically the bottom part of that rack with a drawer and a workbench on top for doing maintenance on your guitar.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 29, 2018 8:51 pm

Haven't seen that double decker before. Cool!

I just found a custom one locally. He builds the base in the shape of a guitar and mounts the 45 degree Hercules hangers on it. Perhaps I could take a wall length 2x6, bolt into all of the studs and then mount the hangers on that. It will be pretty dang heavy though.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 29, 2018 8:56 pm

Oh! They also make slat wall and grid wall hangers. Could potentially put up a slat panel and mount them all on there. Lots of ideas!

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed May 30, 2018 1:00 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 8:56 pm
Oh! They also make slat wall and grid wall hangers. Could potentially put up a slat panel and mount them all on there. Lots of ideas!
i actually thought about doing that myself. most of the music stores around here have the slat wall hangers.

whatever route you go it definitely is a good thing to have them out where you can see them. makes you want to touch them more that way.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Wed May 30, 2018 1:36 pm

that double decker stand is amazing! I love that!
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed May 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Think I'll do something along these lines.

https://cassidymusicblog.files.wordpres ... 0_4156.jpg

That said my wife has decided the TV will no longer be going downstairs, so It's possible I'll get the entire basement for gear. This means I have ample space for standard guitar hangers. Excellent...

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:44 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 5:57 pm
Hello Everyone,

So I've finally done what I swore never to do and bought a house in the suburbs :) Currently having flashbacks of neighbours banging on my window telling me to shut up with the drums...

ANYWAY!!!

I didn't exactly get the dream music space I wanted, but my wife has been kind enough to offer me the entire basement, minus the space required for a couch and TV. I did however get my dream workshop so I'm quite please about that. So, my plan since I was very young was to have a guitar room, displaying all of my beauties on the wall. Of course I'm dumb and I have something like 15 guitars at this point meaning they won't all fit on traditional hangers since the guitar room also will be my office. I would love some ideas/pictures on how you folks fit a large number of guitars in a small space. I should have around 8-10 feet of wall space to make this happen. As a final option I will pickup one of those sideways floor holders, though I've never been a fan as the guitars always seem to get banged up.

Thanks everyone :D
Congrats on the new house! Is your basement finished? Are you able to sound proof the space?
Thunderverb 50

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:08 pm

Finished, yes. Sound proofable, not really. There is only one window to deal with though so I'll be experimenting with ways to plug that up.

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm

Never ever put all your guitars on display in one place. They can be counted...

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:31 pm

Ha, she is well aware of my problem. We move in in just under 2 months so I'll of course report back.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Wed Jun 06, 2018 12:11 am

PBA wrote:
Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:27 pm
Never ever put all your guitars on display in one place. They can be counted...
that's when you open the closet and point to her shoes. hundreds of them ....

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed Jun 06, 2018 3:19 am

Interesting relationships you guys all seem to have. She doesn't care about my guitars, and I don't care about her shoes. Everyone wins!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri Aug 17, 2018 3:14 pm

Hey Folks,

So I'm in the new place and have decided I don't want to butcher the walls and install 15 wall hangers, nor do I really have the space for that many. Decided to troll for some multi stands last night and came across this guy:

https://produkte.k-m.de/en/Stands-and-a ... t-elements

Now it's a bit expensive for sure, and even more so that I'll need three of them, but reviews are solid, almost perfect aside from one guy complaining about his nitro getting cloudy (yet others have stored nitro on the stands for years and not had issues). Anyway, does anyone have experience with these things? They look to be pretty solid, and I really like the fact that they come with separators on the bottom to keep things from bumping into each-other (my main concern with this style of stand).

Thanks,