Jondog
Duke of Orange

Good vid interview with Ade Emsley

Post by Jondog » Tue May 29, 2018 12:45 pm

Jmb1984

Re: Good vid interview with Ade Emsley

Post by Jmb1984 » Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Great stuff! Thanks for posting.

Around 1030 he mentions a new model coming out with tube tremolo!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 pm

Jmb1984 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Yeah, near the end he mentions a couple products coming out at Winter Namm that will serve the purpose when asked about whats the best Orange amp to run pedals. Interesting. He definitely keeps busy and puts a lot of thought into his amps and accesories. As an Orange user, its comforting to know that kind of attention went into the product I’m playing. I must say I don’t completely agree with his view on solid state effects loops. I agree, it’s no longer an “all tube” amp, but a good quality solid state loop sounds better to me than a tube one. Plus whatever pedals are in the loop are most likely solid state circuitry and are now inserted directly into the preamp, just not in the same box. To me at that point from preamp to poweramp, is no longer all tube even with a tube loop. A good solid state loop that doesn’t clip and uses quality components, retains all the sound of the tube preamp, into the power amp.

Jmb1984

Post by Jmb1984 » Thu May 31, 2018 8:46 pm

Jondog wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 11:21 pm
Jmb1984 wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 2:48 pm

Yeah, near the end he mentions a couple products coming out at Winter Namm that will serve the purpose when asked about whats the best Orange amp to run pedals. Interesting. He definitely keeps busy and puts a lot of thought into his amps and accesories. As an Orange user, its comforting to know that kind of attention went into the product I’m playing. I must say I don’t completely agree with his view on solid state effects loops. I agree, it’s no longer an “all tube” amp, but a good quality solid state loop sounds better to me than a tube one. Plus whatever pedals are in the loop are most likely solid state circuitry and are now inserted directly into the preamp, just not in the same box. To me at that point from preamp to poweramp, is no longer all tube even with a tube loop. A good solid state loop that doesn’t clip and uses quality components, retains all the sound of the tube preamp, into the power amp.
He keeps busy for sure. It’s great to see that he still seems excited about it all too. That is the kind of person you want developing products. You make good points about the effects loop. Maybe he feels the need to keep it all tube because there is such a stigma about things being solid state. I don’t think I would have an issue with a solid state effects loop if it still sounded good. I feel the same way about reverbs. I remember the reverb being pretty out of control on the first Rockerverb (maybe the THverb as well?) and they tamed it twice now. The new amp could be really cool as long as the built in things (e.g. tremolo) have a wide useable range on the controls.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:38 pm

Thanks a lot for the link.

It took me 3 attempts to watch the full video.... :lol: family life, hey???

I find Adrian Emsley captivating to listen to. He's obviously passionate about what he does, and his enthusiasm transpires through. Orange sure got lucky with him.
In that interview, the interviewer is terrible though- he doesn't seem to have much of a clue. Great shame. Ade does a great job of making the interview interesting still, despite the interviewer.

I like Ade quite a lot. He isn't classically educated, but a very clever man nonetheless.

Here's another bunch of interviews some might find interesting:

https://www.namm.org/library/oral-history/adrian-emsley
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

satchmodog
Tiny Terror

Post by satchmodog » Sun Jun 03, 2018 12:14 pm

Ade really carried that interview and did an awesome job. I don't know if it's my Love for all things Orange or just being an amp nerd, but I can listen to Ade all day. I actually just ran across this interview last night looking for info on their cabs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IyrnvSIXWCg&t=64s