TH30 vs Dual Dark 50

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Tzinskis

TH30 vs Dual Dark 50

Post by Tzinskis » Thu May 24, 2018 6:57 pm

I have been trying to find comparisons between these two amp for awhile, but cannot. I currently own a TH30 and love it. However I’m looking for something new and with a little more gain. I play metal/doom and some punk. No one local to me has a Dual Dark in stock for me to play. I’ve played the Dark Terror, but didn’t have enough oomph for me. If I go with the Dual Dark 50, I’ll probably keep my TH30 to use for cleans. Anyone have experience with both both of these that can do a comparison between dirty (B) channels?

Thanks.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Re: TH30 vs Dual Dark 50

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 24, 2018 7:09 pm

More gain? The TH30 has gobs of gain from what I remember. The Dual Dark does too, I definitely liked the tones better than the TH30.
Thunderverb 50

Tzinskis

Post by Tzinskis » Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 am

Maybe asking for more gain isn’t quite the wording I’m looking for. But more agressive gain??? Not sure I can find the right words to explain it.

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Fri May 25, 2018 1:10 am

Tzinskis wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 am
Maybe asking for more gain isn’t quite the wording I’m looking for. But more agressive gain??? Not sure I can find the right words to explain it.
modern high gain? the dual dark is what you want. hell the dual dark is what i want lol.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 25, 2018 1:37 am

To me it’s a no brainer if you want a bigger sound. Bigger tubes, bugger transformers. Boom.
I got the TH30 when it first came out. 2 weeks later brought it back and got a Rockerverb 50. Changed my life forever.

afjungemann
Rocker

Post by afjungemann » Fri May 25, 2018 3:27 pm

I have a TH30 and had a DD100 for a few years until I sold it last year.

The DD is definitely a more powerful beast. A lot more lowend (to a fault in my opinion). If you are looking for that, it is dripping with it.

The term “aggressive” is hard to define. To me, aggressive is bite or an edge. Some people say EMGs are aggressive but to my ear, they are a lot smoother and more saturated than low output passive pickups so if you think emgs sound aggressive, then yes. If you think aggressive means edge and bite, I felt it had none of that. A VERY smooth amp with enough gain to make your head spin.

The Rockerverb to me is the end all be all. More edge to the gain while still being insanely smooth. If you have the TH30 already, I would suggest looking at the RV. I have had many people tell me differently but the TH30 dirty channel sounds exactly the same to me as the dark terror which is very similar to the dual dark channel B. You would give yourself more variety with the RV.

Also, the DD does cleans surprisingly well. I used to use channel A for dirty and B for clean in most settings unless absolute brutality was needed. Then I used B for gain.
Rockerverb 100 MKIII
Rockerverb 50 MKIII combo
AD30TC combo
TH30c
Fender Bassman
Fender Princeton
gibson explorer custom
gibson es355
gibson es359
gibson sg custom
gibson les paul custom
gibson les paul standard