Versatility of the simple, and strange recording methods.

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Versatility of the simple, and strange recording methods.

Post by Stu Cazz » Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm

Some days ago I recorded something while I was experimenting a bit, with some interesting results.
It's kind of sloppy and rough, since it wasn't meant to go public.
I showed it to some friends that play guitar too and they where surprised when I told them what I used and how I recorded it.

I did everything with my Tele into my TH30, Jettenuator between head and cabs wich can't be heard because I sent the signal from the line out directly into my laptop.
For that I used the Rocksmith Realtone cable with jack on one side and USB on the other and a program called Audacity.
For the different textures I used:
Mooer Acousticar, Walrus Audio Janus, and Ditto looper and EHX Cathedral in my FX loop.

https://soundcloud.com/abuser-397878062 ... wa0004-aac

I thought I just share it here because when I hear it, Orange isn't reall the first thing that comes to my mind.
And because I'm always amazed how much different sounds you can get out of a Tele wich I consider pretty basic/simple and the TH30 that in my opinion falls in to the same category.

So what are the weirdest sounds you guys get from your Oranges and have you also tried other methods to record your tunes?
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Versatility of the simple, and strange recording methods.

Post by Jondog » Thu May 24, 2018 12:34 pm

I only record when the temperature is exactly 68’F and 43% humidity. No more, no less. It makes it extremely difficult. I usually get half a guitar track, then it changes so I have to stop, wait, record the other half. Still working on a session from 6 years ago. Frustrating. But I want it to be right.

Ok, no obviously not.
I haven’t done much lately, but I just have basic set-up. Couple different Shure and Sennheiser mics, steinberg U22 recording pre, which sounds pretty good. Did the isolation cab thing which works great, but found for quick and just as good or better sound for basic stuff like I do, Amplitube plug-in, especially the Orange models is awesome.
Tried to listen to your track, but it keeps trying to open it in my soundcloud app which needs updating I think...

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu May 24, 2018 6:11 pm

it's amazing what can be done simply. sometimes using simpler methods or 'strange' methods to do things actually allows us to be more creative.
bruce spingsteen for example recorded the album nebraska on a portable 4 track and 2 sm57's in small room. it was meant to be demos for the e street band but ended up becoming one of his most celebrated works ever. and what's crazy is they mastered that album from the original tape from the portastudio that bruce had carried around in his shirt pocket for weeks and before that it was mixed down on a boombox that had fallen in mud. there's more to the story than just that, it's actually quite amazing.

there's more than a few albums that have been recorded and mastered in strange ways that are great albums or in some cases like nebraska they are legendary.

btw your piece sounds good.

i also have one of those rocksmith realtone cables. actually 2 of 'em. but i only ever use 'em for rocksmith lol.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 24, 2018 11:15 pm

Stu Cazz wrote:
Thu May 24, 2018 12:16 pm
Some days ago I recorded something while I was experimenting a bit, with some interesting results.
It's kind of sloppy and rough, since it wasn't meant to go public.
I showed it to some friends that play guitar too and they where surprised when I told them what I used and how I recorded it.

I did everything with my Tele into my TH30, Jettenuator between head and cabs wich can't be heard because I sent the signal from the line out directly into my laptop.
For that I used the Rocksmith Realtone cable with jack on one side and USB on the other and a program called Audacity.
For the different textures I used:
Mooer Acousticar, Walrus Audio Janus, and Ditto looper and EHX Cathedral in my FX loop.

https://soundcloud.com/abuser-397878062 ... wa0004-aac

I thought I just share it here because when I hear it, Orange isn't reall the first thing that comes to my mind.
And because I'm always amazed how much different sounds you can get out of a Tele wich I consider pretty basic/simple and the TH30 that in my opinion falls in to the same category.

So what are the weirdest sounds you guys get from your Oranges and have you also tried other methods to record your tunes?
It does sound good!!!

So the Jet City Jettenuator line out is actually good??? I have one, but have only used it as an excellent attenuator since I acquired it in a trade. I always assumed thay since the attenuation was pretty good, the rest must be so so (because if the price) but certainly in your recording, the electric guitar sounds very good.

That's very impressive.
It really is a great bit of kit.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am

Those Jettenuator just attenuate right? Don’t function as a loadbox?

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Fri May 25, 2018 1:02 am

Jondog wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 12:55 am
Those Jettenuator just attenuate right? Don’t function as a loadbox?
they function as a loadbox as well. this isn't very clear on the jetcity website at all.
in fact here is mike soldano himself talking about how you use it as a loadbox. it's around the 2:40 mark.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dLIGa84-qY

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm

Well I didn't expect it to be any good either to be honest.
I was really sceptical in regards to the Jettenuator. There are tons of BS about it around the web.
Considering it's price I wonder why other manufacturers ask ridiculous amounts of cash for similar products.
I think it's a very well thought and made product.
And NO it doesn't suck tone. :wink:

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Fri May 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Stu Cazz wrote:
Fri May 25, 2018 5:17 pm
Well I didn't expect it to be any good either to be honest.
I was really sceptical in regards to the Jettenuator. There are tons of BS about it around the web.
Considering it's price I wonder why other manufacturers ask ridiculous amounts of cash for similar products.
I think it's a very well thought and made product.
And NO it doesn't suck tone. :wink:

i don't understand all the BS about it myself. it was designed by mr. soldano himself. i just chalk it up to general ignorance. i think one of the best things about it is that once you match impedance on the amp side it doesn't matter what impedance the cab is that you plug it into.

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Fri May 25, 2018 5:45 pm

Truth is there is lots of BS about the whole attenuation thing...what the heck the internet is 85% pure BS!
And yes it was fun last time I played my TH30 trough my Fender Vaporizer's speakers (upgraded with two Jensen C10Q). But orange on top of surf green was way too much, even for me.
Truth is it sounded pretty good, especially the clean channel got really Fendery.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Sat May 26, 2018 3:45 pm

Recording at home I use whatever Orange I think will be appropriate and run it into a Marshall SE-100 speaker emulator which attenuates, load box, cab sim, etc. Works beautifully.... and sounds great!