Proper & Interesting NGD!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Proper & Interesting NGD!

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed May 23, 2018 4:29 am

Hello Everyone,

If you may recall, I had a stint with a 2018 SG JR. Of course it went back to the store and my bank account was truly thanking me :)

So yesterday I came across this thing:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/6z99Jlbat2hY6Byl2

Apparently it's built right here in Calgary by a guy named Tom Song. It's estimated to be from the 90's. This is the only think I could find about the company, and the post just so happens to be about the same axe :)

https://www.guitarscanada.com/index.php ... ars.25512/

Anyway, it's not a BL pickup. The last owner pulled it apart and noted it was a GFS. A cheaper pickup yes, but MAN is it ever spanky. It sounds great! Also looks like the knob has been switched out from black to chrome, but aside from that it's the same as in the above post. First of all the thing was DIRTY! A damn paper towel across the back of the neck a few times came back black. Seriously gross! There was also what I thought to be finish rubbing off around the volume knob and above the bridge, but that also turned out to be gunk. The 2nd previous owner must have been a sweaty fellow (last guy said he didn't really play it). Any suggestions for some cleaner would be appreciated :)

So the guitar sounds great and plays well. I was a bit surprised how sharp the frets are considering this is a custom piece, but my tech will sort that out once it goes in the shop a few days from now. The fingerboard is in perfect shape, and as I said the frets feel new. Possible re-fret? No idea. The neck is decently thick like my LPJ, and very comfortable. It's still a bit sticky even after the wipe down, but I intend to do a deep cleaning with whatever cleaner is suggested by you marvelous folks :) The guitar has indeed been played, and will be the most beat up in my collection, but there is just something special about it (plus I don't have to worry about the first scratch you know?). The guy also gave me a killer deal, took a pile off asking just cause he is selling off his gear due to a smaller living situation. I could have bought 5 or so of these for the same price as the SGJ, so, the wallet is happy, plus I have a proper unique and one of a kind guitar in my collection.

The only major bummer about the guitar is one pretty sizable ding in the back of neck about an inch south of the top around fret five. It's a very clean dent though so it's possible it could be steamed out. I will ask my tech once it hits the shop as he builds acoustics and probably has experience with this. Not sure how well hard maple steams though.

I'll post more pics once the sun comes out, which will be tomorrow, which is Wednesday. BYE!

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Re: Proper & Interesting NGD!

Post by Les Paul Lover » Wed May 23, 2018 2:53 pm

Congrats!

One single pick up, one single knob.... that axe sure ticks your boxes!!!

As for cleaners, I'm bery fond of virtuoso cleaner and polish. They are nitro finish friendly too. I bought some in 2008..... still have quite a lot to go!!!!
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Stu Cazz
Rocker

Post by Stu Cazz » Thu May 24, 2018 11:44 am

Well sometimes less truly is more.
Looks really nice, congrats and enjoy!

Oh, and another vote for Virtuoso.
Micro Crush/Crush Pix 12L/Micro Terror/TH30 Head with 2x PPC112/Bax Bangeetar

caldurham
Rocker

Post by caldurham » Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm

dude that is awesome. just one knob more than i like on mine. the best thing about guitars like this is that people can't say 'oh i have one like that'.

and the dent can probably be steamed out. the soldering iron wet cloth trick should work on maple just like other woods. i know that you can steam out dents in oak to a certain size and it's pretty high on the janka hardness scale. you could probably do it yourself. but you gotta get to the wood. i've heard of people steaming out dents in ebony but i've never done it before.

also man that wood is gorgeous you should consider getting a pickup ring made out of wood to either match it or have a good contrast with it. though the original pickup ring looks tasty as well.

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu May 24, 2018 8:09 pm

Hey!

I know pickup to jack is the pure tone :) but I do use the volume knob to clean up, as well as mute myself when required.

I just dropped it off with my tech today and he was in shock to say the least when he heard the price :) Apparently the tuners are made in japan are are worth what I paid for the guitar. He did confirm the hardware was on the cheap side, but no biggie. During my initial testing it didn't go out of tune once, so regardless of quality, the hardware is stable. I mentioned the neck dents to him and indeed he will steam them. One might life, so he is going to do a drop of lacquer and some levelling to smooth it. Works for me, as long as I can't feel it. Pretty excited to get this back with a proper setup and some heavier strings.

Yea the wood is very nice. I'll post more pics when I get it back along with a post setup review. The OG post from 2009 thought it was swamp ash, but the last owner thought it was mahogany. Either way it has some crazy grain that goes all the way through (the lighter stripes are visible on the sides too, so I don't think it's a cap). My guess is Ash, as I've never seen mahogany with those kind of stripes in it. I should try and track down the builder on bookface. He would probably be amused to see it. Also forgot to mention it's stamped with the serial 00000. Must have been a prototype, or perhaps model 000 built in 2000. So many questions :)

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 28, 2018 4:37 pm

cool guitar!

hello from Edmonton.
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Mon May 28, 2018 10:19 pm

Hello Edmonton!

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 am

Here she is!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8vPj3h5P0zHhqOp1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TgjxClPUrNgPb4TB2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtlgq7D9x3aV4IoH2

He steamed both dents as far out as they would go, then added a coat of shellac to level fill the remainder. The neck feels great now. Also rolled the frets a touch and did a proper setup. I won't be able to test it out until tomorrow, but at least we can look at the pics :)

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue May 29, 2018 1:45 am

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue May 29, 2018 1:34 am
Here she is!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/G8vPj3h5P0zHhqOp1

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TgjxClPUrNgPb4TB2

https://photos.app.goo.gl/gtlgq7D9x3aV4IoH2

He steamed both dents as far out as they would go, then added a coat of shellac to level fill the remainder. The neck feels great now. Also rolled the frets a touch and did a proper setup. I won't be able to test it out until tomorrow, but at least we can look at the pics :)
that's a really sweet looking guitar! Enjoy her
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet