Using CR60C as a cabinet?

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Mind Flayer

Using CR60C as a cabinet?

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue May 22, 2018 3:41 pm

Hi everyone -- new to the forum.

I just purchased a CR60 combo, which is on the way. Really excited about this.

I also have been playing some orange tube amp heads and really love how they sound. I was wondering if it is possible to plug a tube head (say, the Rocker Terror head) into the speaker in the CR60. That way, I could gig with the tube --> combo speaker as my main setup, and then have the basic CR60C setup as a backup in case I had a problem with the head. Would this work?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Using CR60C as a cabinet?

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 22, 2018 4:38 pm

Yea it should be fine. I believe the combo have a 16ohm speaker in it. Just look at the sticker on the back and make sure.

Mind Flayer

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue May 22, 2018 4:45 pm

Awesome, thanks. Assuming it's technically possible, would there be much reason to buy a separate cab, or is the cab in the combo of similar quality to a standalone 1x12 orange cab?

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm

I like your idea actually, I never thought of using the combo as the backup head. Clever :)

I'm not a huge fan of the VOTW speakers, although I've never heard them broken in so YMMV. If you like the sound of the speaker, I guess there is no difference between using the combo speaker and a separate cab. Perhaps the combo might be a big heavier?

Also, on my R30C, the speaker cable is pretty short. You might have to extend the wires a little bit, or else run the tube head on the floor behind the cab. Let us know how it goes!

Mind Flayer

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue May 22, 2018 6:03 pm

Thanks. yeah, the CR60 combo is not a back-breaker, but I imagine it's much heavier than a standalone cabinet. Will probably be a while before I get a separate head, if I do get one. The combo should be arriving this week, can't wait!

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Tue May 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Hi, welcome,
Yes that's what I do now with my CR120. I take my TH30c and 1 1x12 but use the TH30c as a cab. The CR120 is my main amp, the TH30c backup, I know that probably sounds backside about face, but I prefer the CR120. I did get someone to make a up a short extension lead as Boy Narf said, the leads are short.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini
Orange TH30c with G12H30 Anniversary speaker, 2xOrange PPC112 cabs
Roland Blues Cube Artist. CR120H. Dual Terror

Mind Flayer

Post by Mind Flayer » Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm

Thanks -- do you know where I can buy, or find someone to make, extension leads?

lunchbox
Orange Hero

Post by lunchbox » Tue May 22, 2018 10:03 pm

Boy_Narf wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 5:33 pm
I'm not a huge fan of the VOTW speakers, although I've never heard them broken in so YMMV.
After 15 months mine are nice and broken in and sound fantastic. I honestly cannot hear a difference between them and a Cele V30. I'm pretty sure that they're almost identical.

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Wed May 23, 2018 11:52 am

Mind Flayer wrote:
Tue May 22, 2018 9:49 pm
Thanks -- do you know where I can buy, or find someone to make, extension leads?
Hi,
I should have elaborated really; it is essentially a jack to jack connector, so proper speaker lead (I use a bought standard Orange one, about 6ft long) from one of the CR120 outputs, then an electrician friend of mine formed a female jack to jack connector, the jacks connected by a very short (2 inches) of wiring, so the bulk of the length is provided by the correct Orange speaker lead. I would get someone who knows what they are doing to do it if you go that route. Others on here, technically proficient in electronics may help you more. There are a few on here who really know what they are doing. Mine seems to work fine. I understand your GAS for getting a valve head, but give the CR60 a good go first; it is good and should be reliable. Having said that, sometimes I just want to use the TH30.
Gibson Les Paul Traditional, Classic and Tribute. Fender American Standard Strat, Fender MIM Tele, Taylor GS Mini

Rozz
Tiny Terror

Post by Rozz » Wed May 23, 2018 11:59 am

ps, it would be useful to know where you are located, there might be someone close by to help or know of someone who can. Just update your profile.