Boosting clean on Dark Terror

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

jardenblack26

Boosting clean on Dark Terror

Post by jardenblack26 » Thu May 17, 2018 3:20 am

Hey,

I recently bought a Dark Terror and I'm really digging the sound of it. Since it's a single channel I was messing around with the settings on my Les Paul, coil tapping one pickup and reducing the volume to nearly non existant while pushing the other pickup, with the amp gain at around 10-11 gave me a really nice high gain sound and a very nice clean sound when switching pickups without having to touch the amp gain.
Obviously I can't find a volume setting for the power amp that works with both tones, since the clean one is really quiet and the gain one is very loud.
I though I could probably put a pedal in the fx to boost the volume on the clean sound before it hits the power amp, just to give it around the same level as the gainy sound. What would be a good pedal for that (that doesn't introduce distortion)? A simple EQ pedal like the Boss GE7 to just raise the level?

Cheers

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Re: Boosting clean on Dark Terror

Post by Boy_Narf » Fri May 18, 2018 3:08 pm

EQ or a proper clean boost would work. Check out the Class A by Pigtronix. I sold it off as it was too clean.

pedecamp
Orange Hero

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 24, 2018 7:23 pm

I don't know man, I don't seem to have any problems setting the amp high gain and dialing my neck pickup volume back for cleans but still get good volume out of it. My LP is a 57 RI so probably has 50's wiring, rewire yours to 50's is probably the answer.
Thunderverb 50

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Thu May 24, 2018 7:52 pm

I forgot! Orange evolution underdrive!

oban14

Post by oban14 » Thu May 24, 2018 7:53 pm

Orange two stroke in the loop works on my OR15 pretty good.

stargazer747
Tiny Terror

Post by stargazer747 » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:47 am

I have the Dark Terror and Jim Root Terror single channel amps and for cleans I have on my main pedalboard which is all MXR the 6-Band EQ set in the "Vintage V" configuration (all the frequency dials set resembles the letter v). That with the Dyna Comp's Output set to 12 O'Clock and sensitivity set at 3 O'Clock gives me a really clean tone (with either amp's gain at 12 O'Clock) and rolling back the guitar's volume half way. Similar settings on my "lite duty" pedalboard with the DOD Comp reissue and Boss GE7 EQ. My speaker cabs are custom white Marshall 412 with Celestion Vintage 30s, Blackstar modified HT112 with a V30, ivory EVH5150III 112 with its Celestion 70th Anniversary, and an Ibanez TSA112 with a Celestion Seventy 80. I list my cabs here because I feel that speakers play a very active role in the overall tone, at least 50% of what you hear and certain speakers may get you a cleaner tone than others.
Last edited by stargazer747 on Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Orange Rocker 15 Terror-EVH5150III-Hughes&Kettner-Marshall-Celestion-Jackson-Fender-Gibson-PRS-Laguna-AnalogAlien-Earthquaker-Walrus-CryBaby-MXR-BOSS-EHX-Ibanez-TCE-ZOOM-DiMarzio-ErnieBall-Tortex-Pedaltrain

adkguy07
Rocker

Post by adkguy07 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:01 pm

Jardenblack26, I have a Dark Terror and PPC112. I use my Les Paul with it, but I never have a lot of the amp's gain dialed in. At home, try the 7-watt setting with amp,volume @ noon, shape @ 2:30 pm, and the gain knob around 9:30am....maybe a scosh more. With my Les Paul volumes set at 7 to 8 for the neck and 9 to 10 for the bridge, I get a “clean” crunch going on. For more gain, I boost the gain, while tweaking the shape knob more clockwise and adjust amp volume to get the right level. If you adjust in this manner by small increments, you should find the right amount of gain and the volume to go with it. I had trouble, with volume levels as you do, so I found gradual tweaking to work much better than playing a guessing game.

adkguy07