I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Post Reply
Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7131
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Jondog » Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 am

Because I now own an actual Tube Screamer :mrgreen:
Image
But really, I’ve owned several different overdrives since the 90’s, and for whatever reason never owned or played an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer (ok, I once owned an Ibanez TS-5 Soundtank Tube Screamer I paid $15 for, but it was plastic and only turned on 1 out of 5 presses, so I didn’t really get on with it). Always looked at them as old news I guess. This pedal sounds great. They really did get it right way back when. Don’t need expensive clones. This came up used for a good price so figured I take the chance. Can’t believe I waited this long.
Image

pedecamp
Orange Hero
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by pedecamp » Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm

Jondog wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 am
Because I now own an actual Tube Screamer :mrgreen:
Image
But really, I’ve owned several different overdrives since the 90’s, and for whatever reason never owned or played an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer (ok, I once owned an Ibanez TS-5 Soundtank Tube Screamer I paid $15 for, but it was plastic and only turned on 1 out of 5 presses, so I didn’t really get on with it). Always looked at them as old news I guess. This pedal sounds great. They really did get it right way back when. Don’t need expensive clones. This came up used for a good price so figured I take the chance. Can’t believe I waited this long.
Tell us about the sound, how it interacts with your amp! I've been wanting one a long time but everybody thinks their used TS9 is worth as much or almost as much as a new one, dreamers. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey which is supposed to be a clone but I've never compared it side by side with a TS9.
Thunderverb 50
Image

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange
Posts: 6770
Joined: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:08 am
Location: Derby, England

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Les Paul Lover » Thu May 17, 2018 8:17 pm

I had a TS808 a while back, and it was very sweet.

I would probably have a use for it these days if I had another one.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, AD5, PPC212
Past Orange: Orange AD30TC Combo, Tiny Terror

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7131
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Jondog » Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Jondog wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 am
Because I now own an actual Tube Screamer :mrgreen:
Image
But really, I’ve owned several different overdrives since the 90’s, and for whatever reason never owned or played an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer (ok, I once owned an Ibanez TS-5 Soundtank Tube Screamer I paid $15 for, but it was plastic and only turned on 1 out of 5 presses, so I didn’t really get on with it). Always looked at them as old news I guess. This pedal sounds great. They really did get it right way back when. Don’t need expensive clones. This came up used for a good price so figured I take the chance. Can’t believe I waited this long.
Tell us about the sound, how it interacts with your amp! I've been wanting one a long time but everybody thinks their used TS9 is worth as much or almost as much as a new one, dreamers. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey which is supposed to be a clone but I've never compared it side by side with a TS9.
I really favour the way I have it set up in the photo. Lots of level, a little gain and 1/2 on the tone. Works great for a gain boost with my Rockers gain about 1:00-2:00. To me it’s just cutting the right low frequencies to still let the amp growl without being boomy/muddy, enhancing the low mid frequencies for a precise low end. The upper mids and highs seemed unchanged relatively unchanged, but rich in harmonics, so no shrillness added. I’ve been doing a side by side with my Boss SD-1 set up the same which is basically the same circuit, only different values. The SD-1 takes away more bottom end in comparison and really enhances the upper mids, which can be harsh at times if the tone knob is higher than 10:00. It bites a little more, where the TS9 is a bit warmer. I don’t feel the clarity with the Boss as much. I like them both, leaning a little more towards the TS9. Old school metal/punk with the SD-1, everything else with the TS9. A little surprised I could pick out differences between them with the gain set so low. Contemplating doing the 808 mod which is just two resistors on the output buffer.
I know what you mean by used prices. I picked this one up for $60 cdn and it’s in virtually new condition. Thats why I got it, was an unplanned purchase and have no regrets!
Related, I see that new JhS Tube Screamer pedal with all the different modes and have ZERO desire to try one.
Image

mici88
Tiny Terror
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:46 am
Location: Europe, Poland

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by mici88 » Fri May 18, 2018 8:12 am

There are only two tubescreamer to me: Boss SD-1 and Maxon OD-9.

SD-1 for Marshalls, OD-9 for Oranges :D

pedecamp
Orange Hero
Posts: 476
Joined: Mon Oct 27, 2014 9:49 pm
Location: USA

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by pedecamp » Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm

Jondog wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm
pedecamp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm
Jondog wrote:
Wed May 16, 2018 2:39 am
Because I now own an actual Tube Screamer :mrgreen:
Image
But really, I’ve owned several different overdrives since the 90’s, and for whatever reason never owned or played an actual Ibanez Tube Screamer (ok, I once owned an Ibanez TS-5 Soundtank Tube Screamer I paid $15 for, but it was plastic and only turned on 1 out of 5 presses, so I didn’t really get on with it). Always looked at them as old news I guess. This pedal sounds great. They really did get it right way back when. Don’t need expensive clones. This came up used for a good price so figured I take the chance. Can’t believe I waited this long.
Tell us about the sound, how it interacts with your amp! I've been wanting one a long time but everybody thinks their used TS9 is worth as much or almost as much as a new one, dreamers. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey which is supposed to be a clone but I've never compared it side by side with a TS9.
I really favour the way I have it set up in the photo. Lots of level, a little gain and 1/2 on the tone. Works great for a gain boost with my Rockers gain about 1:00-2:00. To me it’s just cutting the right low frequencies to still let the amp growl without being boomy/muddy, enhancing the low mid frequencies for a precise low end. The upper mids and highs seemed unchanged relatively unchanged, but rich in harmonics, so no shrillness added. I’ve been doing a side by side with my Boss SD-1 set up the same which is basically the same circuit, only different values. The SD-1 takes away more bottom end in comparison and really enhances the upper mids, which can be harsh at times if the tone knob is higher than 10:00. It bites a little more, where the TS9 is a bit warmer. I don’t feel the clarity with the Boss as much. I like them both, leaning a little more towards the TS9. Old school metal/punk with the SD-1, everything else with the TS9. A little surprised I could pick out differences between them with the gain set so low. Contemplating doing the 808 mod which is just two resistors on the output buffer.
I know what you mean by used prices. I picked this one up for $60 cdn and it’s in virtually new condition. Thats why I got it, was an unplanned purchase and have no regrets!
Related, I see that new JhS Tube Screamer pedal with all the different modes and have ZERO desire to try one.
Good review! Last night I went to my local music store and plugged a TS9 and SD-1 into a Marshall Origin 50, and I agree with everything you said. I love my SD-1 for heavy tones it tightens the gain, I'd like to get a TS9 for the mellower tones.
Thunderverb 50
Image

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7131
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Jondog » Fri May 18, 2018 1:56 pm

pedecamp wrote:
Fri May 18, 2018 1:47 pm
Jondog wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 8:42 pm
pedecamp wrote:
Thu May 17, 2018 4:30 pm


Tell us about the sound, how it interacts with your amp! I've been wanting one a long time but everybody thinks their used TS9 is worth as much or almost as much as a new one, dreamers. I have a Digitech Bad Monkey which is supposed to be a clone but I've never compared it side by side with a TS9.
I really favour the way I have it set up in the photo. Lots of level, a little gain and 1/2 on the tone. Works great for a gain boost with my Rockers gain about 1:00-2:00. To me it’s just cutting the right low frequencies to still let the amp growl without being boomy/muddy, enhancing the low mid frequencies for a precise low end. The upper mids and highs seemed unchanged relatively unchanged, but rich in harmonics, so no shrillness added. I’ve been doing a side by side with my Boss SD-1 set up the same which is basically the same circuit, only different values. The SD-1 takes away more bottom end in comparison and really enhances the upper mids, which can be harsh at times if the tone knob is higher than 10:00. It bites a little more, where the TS9 is a bit warmer. I don’t feel the clarity with the Boss as much. I like them both, leaning a little more towards the TS9. Old school metal/punk with the SD-1, everything else with the TS9. A little surprised I could pick out differences between them with the gain set so low. Contemplating doing the 808 mod which is just two resistors on the output buffer.
I know what you mean by used prices. I picked this one up for $60 cdn and it’s in virtually new condition. Thats why I got it, was an unplanned purchase and have no regrets!
Related, I see that new JhS Tube Screamer pedal with all the different modes and have ZERO desire to try one.
Good review! Last night I went to my local music store and plugged a TS9 and SD-1 into a Marshall Origin 50, and I agree with everything you said. I love my SD-1 for heavy tones it tightens the gain, I'd like to get a TS9 for the mellower tones.
Heres a Bad Monkey vs TS9 comparison. We had quite the discussions here a while back regarding the Bad Monkey. Maybe went a little too far. :lol:
http://thetoneking.com/wp/bad-monkey-vs ... 1-11-ts-9/
Image

Ade
Orange Hero
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:36 am
Location: FNQ, Australia

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Ade » Sat May 19, 2018 9:02 am

Don’t forget the main difference between the otherwise almost identical SD-1 & Tubescreamer is the Tubescreamer clips symmetrically and the SD-1 clips asymmetrically. I was only swapping between my OD-1 and TS808 with my AD50 this arvo and marvelling at how good they sound in the right application. I tend to lean towards the OD-1/SD-1 myself, but probably only because my ear is more accustomed to it. Boy the TS808 sounds good too.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412
Image

Jondog
Duke of Orange
Posts: 7131
Joined: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:16 pm
Location: Ontario, Canada

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Jondog » Sat May 19, 2018 10:10 am

Ade wrote:
Sat May 19, 2018 9:02 am
Don’t forget the main difference between the otherwise almost identical SD-1 & Tubescreamer is the Tubescreamer clips symmetrically and the SD-1 clips asymmetrically. I was only swapping between my OD-1 and TS808 with my AD50 this arvo and marvelling at how good they sound in the right application. I tend to lean towards the OD-1/SD-1 myself, but probably only because my ear is more accustomed to it. Boy the TS808 sounds good too.

Ade
Yeah, I once installed a switch on a Nobels Overdrive to go between sym and asym clipping. Made a little difference to me. Not as much as going with a completely different diode.
Image

liaztraht
Tiny Terror
Posts: 104
Joined: Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by liaztraht » Sat Jun 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Can't really beat the classics. I prefer the Boss SD1 over a TS9, very similar (almost the exact same circuit as mentioned), but the Boss is a bit more raw sounding with my rig, and a whole lot cheaper! The rawness works for the heavier styles I play.

Glad you found one that works for you!
My cat loves the Orange tone!

Image

fiveightandten
Orange Master
Posts: 3845
Joined: Sat Apr 05, 2003 6:18 pm
Location: Connecticut, USA

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by fiveightandten » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:19 pm

Nice score. Are you using this as an always on pedal? Or for leads, or just more oomph when engaged?

That JHS pedal (bonsai) is interesting. The other guitarist in one of my bands got one. He had it for about a week and unloaded it. Option paralysis. Simple usually works best.

Personally, I’ve always been a guitar > amp player. In recent years I started using pedals and I get along well with Klones (Soul Food, then Rimrock MO). But TS circuits are interesting now that I’m getting some dirt from pedals. This is good feedback to hear from the Orange crew.
Image
'71 GRO100 || '96 OR-80 || AD30 || '64 AC-50 || AC-30TBX || Hiwatt DR504 || HI-TONE HT30
LP Standard || LP Studio || LP Custom Lite || Ric 620 || Ric 360 || MIA Tele || SG 61 RI

Ade
Orange Hero
Posts: 320
Joined: Sun Dec 28, 2003 2:36 am
Location: FNQ, Australia

Re: I’m done with Tube Screamer clones

Post by Ade » Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:53 pm

fiveightandten wrote:
Sat Jun 02, 2018 11:19 pm
That JHS pedal (bonsai) is interesting. The other guitarist in one of my bands got one. He had it for about a week and unloaded it. Option paralysis. Simple usually works best.
Option paralysis indeed. I honestly thought that Bonsai pedal was a piss take when I first saw it. Seems pointless to me.

Ade
Orange AD15/12 - Orange AD50 - 1975 PPC412
Image

Post Reply

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests