Part replacement Orange Crush 35RT

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

NateA

Part replacement Orange Crush 35RT

Post by NateA » Mon May 14, 2018 10:11 pm

Hi all,

My amp has recently taken quite the knock and I'm still a bit miffed at the person who knocked it..

The gain pot (Potentiometer) has fully snapped off so is currently not usable. A few friends of mine have suggested finding a replacement pot online and repairing it myself although I don't know where to start looking for said part. I'm hoping someone here can point me in the right direction?

It's an Orange Crush 35 RT and then pot that has snapped is the Gain pot.

Thanks for taking your time to read this. I'm open to any suggestions!

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Re: Part replacement Orange Crush 35RT

Post by Jondog » Mon May 14, 2018 10:48 pm

Without a schematic, which isn’t readily available, the only way to know is to open it up and see what type and value the pot is.

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon May 14, 2018 10:58 pm

Yeah, I suspect that you can open it up - write down all of the info on the pot itself - and google it.

There are a lot of those parts available as spares, but as Jon says, we have no idea what it is...

NateA

Post by NateA » Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm

So when I open it up I should expect to see some numbers or some sort of part code on the actual pot itself? Seen as how I am not using the amp until it's repaired, I will take it apart and desolder the broken pot tomorrow and see if I can find the replacement online.

Do you know of any sites where I can buy pots from in the UK or can I get any pot as long as it matches the spec of the current one?

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Mon May 14, 2018 11:46 pm

NateA wrote:
Mon May 14, 2018 11:00 pm
So when I open it up I should expect to see some numbers or some sort of part code on the actual pot itself? Seen as how I am not using the amp until it's repaired, I will take it apart and desolder the broken pot tomorrow and see if I can find the replacement online.

Do you know of any sites where I can buy pots from in the UK or can I get any pot as long as it matches the spec of the current one?
I'd get the info and google it - see what pops up for suppliers. More than likely you'll get it online.

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Tue May 15, 2018 1:01 am

Google search showed a board shot of the Crush 30r, all look like 16mm pcb mount pots. Schematic of the Crush 20L shows a C50K value for overdrive. Don’t know how similar those circuits are, but this pot would cover those bases.
https://www.mouser.ca/ProductDetail/Alp ... PpaA%3d%3d

PBA
Rocker

Post by PBA » Tue May 15, 2018 7:13 am

It's likely that you will need to unsolder the pot to determine what it actually is. Usually there will be a number and letter written on the brown board part. That will give you the resistance value and audio or linear taper of the track. You will also need to know the physical size of the part, the nature of the three solder tabs (i.e. are they thin spikes for mounting directly onto a circuit board or loops to hook wires onto. You will also need to know the type and how long the shaft has to be - That will be the same as the other pots if you've lost the broken part.

It's not clear where you are located. If you're in UK try Rapid Online, Maplin, RS or look for a local shop.