Talk Boxes! Talk to me....

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Talk Boxes! Talk to me....

Post by bclaire » Fri May 11, 2018 10:21 am

Does anyone have any experience with talk boxes? I'm concerned about amp health when I use one ...

Basically, you plug your amp's speaker out to the talk box and then run a cable to your speaker cabinet. When off, your sound comes out of the guitar cab - when engaged, the sound comes out of the speaker built-in to the talk box, up the hose, and into your mouth and picked up by a mic.

My talk box (Jimmy Bean made by Orange) doesn't say anything about impedance and wattage. I'm concerned about switching and output transformers so I've only been using my Micro Terror but I'm wondering about using my AD30TC or OR15.

Any ideas?

Wendigo
Orange Master

Re: Talk Boxes! Talk to me....

Post by Wendigo » Fri May 11, 2018 10:41 am

I've never actually heard of that set up. I just know the way where your guitar is plugged into a midrange driver (a spearate amp if you will), and then the horn is covered up so the sound goes up to your mouth through the tube. Then A microphone records that and sends the mic's signal to your guitar amp. Is that some special kind of pedal setup so you can switch on the fly?

Mr Mustard
Tiny Terror

Post by Mr Mustard » Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am

I would measure the DC resistance with it in both the on and off positions, and figure your impedance is close to that. Just a guess but I suspect it was designed to work with transistor amps and has a very high impedance (and very inefficient speaker).
Mr. Mustard

bclaire
Forum Moderator

Post by bclaire » Fri May 11, 2018 1:38 pm

Mr Mustard wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 11:35 am
I would measure the DC resistance with it in both the on and off positions, and figure your impedance is close to that. Just a guess but I suspect it was designed to work with transistor amps and has a very high impedance (and very inefficient speaker).
Yeah, that's a good idea...

I hadn't thought about the transistor amp thing - but since the Jimmy Bean amp is solidstate that would make sense.

Mick Dines wrote to me and said the only issue he could think of was that it could loosen your teeth. ha ha haha!