writing and playing again - how do I use my Rockerverb50 now?!

Orange Amps General Forum

Moderator: bclaire

Wired
Orange Master

writing and playing again - how do I use my Rockerverb50 now?!

Post by Wired » Mon May 07, 2018 1:41 pm

Hey all! Long time Orange user here, dating back over a decade now. Used to be very active on the forums back in the day. I look forward to meeting the new gang and seeing if any of my old fourmites are still around.

anywho.

My band broke up 5 years ago, I had a little boy, been doing really well with my photography gigs... but recently really started getting the itch to write and play again. But I've moved! I live in a townhome now and have no real way to play my Orange rig, nor do I have the real want to join and form a band again right now.

Yesterday I reinstalled Cubase and Toontrack and started writing a song. I got something sloppily laid over a few hours that I'm somewhat happy with. I recorded all my guitars through my Pod HD500... which I mean is okay... but it's got no citrus tones in there you know what I mean?

So I have this beautiful Rockerverb 50 thats been collecting dust (and a vintage AC30). I heard a rumor of a box that would take the speaker signal, put a load on the amp to prevent explosions, and send a TRS signal into my Presonus Audiobox to help me get sweet real amp tone into my computer. is this a thing? is it reliable??

I also really want to buy another Telecaster again...
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Wired
Orange Master

Re: writing and playing again - how do I use my Rockerverb50 now?!

Post by Wired » Mon May 07, 2018 2:07 pm

https://www.long-mcquade.com/?page=grou ... ntID=46769

looking at these now... they seem to be a good option and right where I want to spend... anyone have experience?
-LK
RV50, Vox AC30, Gibson LP Trad '14, Gibson ES-335 '04, PRS Cu24 '10, Fender Tele Pro, Gretsch Powerjet

Ronnie Robinson
Orange Master

Post by Ronnie Robinson » Mon May 07, 2018 6:02 pm

Hi welcome back....

I can't really answer your question as I've never used one but a cheaper option is a H and K Red box.....which I've heard good reports about.

But the recorded tone will be a simulation as I think it is for cabclone rather than the unadulterated tone of the RV ...better for lower volume probably as you'll still need to get the valves working for the RV to sound good.
Orange AD30 HTC
Orange Rocker 15 terror
Orange Tiny Terror HW,
Fender elite Start, Gibson SG 61,fender telecaster

Previously Owned - Rocker 30

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 07, 2018 6:56 pm

I think the H&K is a passthru, the Mesa actually puts the load on the amp so you don't have to have a cab hooked up. This way I can crank it and let it rip without waking the neighbours or upsetting the family after they have gone to bed.

I found this one too:

https://www.long-mcquade.com/66564/Guit ... and-DI.htm
-LK

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Welcome back! I had the cab clone for a little. Works great as a load box but the cab sims are underwhelming I thought. Recommend you look into cab IR (Impulse response) simulators like Torpedo. Very convincing. There are IR plugins to I think, still need a loadbox however. Amplitube is great as a plugin too. AD30 model is my favorite.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 07, 2018 7:55 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 7:16 pm
Welcome back! I had the cab clone for a little. Works great as a load box but the cab sims are underwhelming I thought. Recommend you look into cab IR (Impulse response) simulators like Torpedo. Very convincing. There are IR plugins to I think, still need a loadbox however. Amplitube is great as a plugin too. AD30 model is my favorite.
I figure nothing is going to replace playing through the real thing... but I don't want to be spending $1000 on this lol
-LK

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm

Would an iso cab work for you ?

I have a jet City jettuanator. It's a traditional attenuator, but with 4,8 16 ohms compatibility and potentiometer to attenuate, instead of fixed "minus" decibel points.

It also has xlr and line out, and those can be used to record or feed a PA with the jettuanator acting as a load box.

I haven't tried it in that way though, so cannot comment in the quality of the xlr and line out. Excellent attenuator otherwise though.

My guess is that for convincing quality recording, an iso cab with your speaker of choice is your best bet.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Mon May 07, 2018 10:51 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 9:19 pm

I have a jet City jettuanator. It's a traditional attenuator, but with 4,8 16 ohms compatibility and potentiometer to attenuate, instead of fixed "minus" decibel points.

It also has xlr and line out, and those can be used to record or feed a PA with the jettuanator acting as a load box.

I haven't tried it in that way though, so cannot comment in the quality of the xlr and line out. Excellent attenuator otherwise though.

My guess is that for convincing quality recording, an iso cab with your speaker of choice is your best bet.
don't got the space for it at home honestly. I lost a ton of storage space, had to clean out my jam space a few years ago so I sold off a ton of stuff as well just because the place we moved into is bigger...but has no storage at all. modern town homes.. oi. We don't even have a home for a fake Christmas tree. I still got my 4x12 box in the garage, but burried under totes of stuff. Head and my AC30 are shoved in the utility room. Going to hide my computer printer and put the RV50 head there. Really a DI load box is my only option... just a $500 CAD is kind of my budget right now... I have a shopping list of stuff I would like to "rebuy" and it's just one of about a half dozen things haha.

(for the curious, a Baja or American std. Telecaster is on the list, as well as some software, a studio mic, and an effin tuner!)
-LK

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm

Les Paul Lover wrote:

I had the Jet City Iso cab when I had my Rockerverb. Its decent for the price. Rockerverb still makes it shake the walls with the lows, would benefit from floor isolation I think. Back to the IR’s, doesn’t have to be a $1000. Mooer Radar is reasonably priced IR simulator pedal and seems to be pretty good. A load can be as simple as hooking up power resistors with the correct wattage and impedance. Heres mine: four 50 watt resistors wired in series for 16 ohms. Cost was a few bucks on ebay. Each one is 3.9 ohms only because I was following some instructions that suggested using them. I’ve been meaning to mount them in an enclosure with a heatsink and fan just for the sake of dissipating heat better. Have all the parts salvaged from an old computer, just haven’t got around to it. :? By the way, thats pretty much whats inside the cab clone, and a few switches and 10 cent capacitors for the voicing.
Ola Englund and the Mooer Radar
https://youtu.be/_B7zu7GdhpU

fstrat76

Post by fstrat76 » Tue May 08, 2018 4:07 am

I have a RV 50 and I just picked up a Rivera Rockcrusher Recording - attenuator/load box with an all analog speaker sim EQ. A bit pricey though. I tried software and other IR based, and personally I don't like the harsh sounds. So far this Rockcrusher really sounds great for recording and attenuation.

Wired
Orange Master

Post by Wired » Tue May 08, 2018 1:45 pm

thats crazy that all that is in that cab clone is a few little components like that...and heat sinks haha.

Yea, I was looking at the rock crusher too. They have a smaller version for around $550. It seems all the reviews of the sub $1000 units is the same "sucks some tone". I'm guessing they would still sound better than my POD HD tho.

thanks for the advice. I may have to go demo the boxes, or "trial" them until I find the one I want. I went to said store yesterday to buy some strings and I almost walked out with a Tele. I brought my wife with me...so she stopped me. probably a good thing haha.
-LK

fstrat76

Post by fstrat76 » Tue May 08, 2018 9:18 pm

As far as sucking some tone, using the attenuator, most probably will, and there’s perceived differences at lower volumes for all kinds of reasons. But check out the Pete Thorn video on the rockcrusher recording device. He gives a great demo of the unit.

Les Paul Lover
Duke of Orange

Post by Les Paul Lover » Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Jondog wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:

I had the Jet City Iso cab when I had my Rockerverb. Its decent for the price. Rockerverb still makes it shake the walls with the lows, would benefit from floor isolation I think. Back to the IR’s, doesn’t have to be a $1000. Mooer Radar is reasonably priced IR simulator pedal and seems to be pretty good. A load can be as simple as hooking up power resistors with the correct wattage and impedance. Heres mine: four 50 watt resistors wired in series for 16 ohms. Cost was a few bucks on ebay. Each one is 3.9 ohms only because I was following some instructions that suggested using them. I’ve been meaning to mount them in an enclosure with a heatsink and fan just for the sake of dissipating heat better. Have all the parts salvaged from an old computer, just haven’t got around to it. :? By the way, thats pretty much whats inside the cab clone, and a few switches and 10 cent capacitors for the voicing.

I'm surprised to hear an iso cab would still be such a noisy solution. I admit, I've never tried one, but always thought they were the perfect recording solution for true amp tone without pissing the neighbours off.
Ant

Orange Gear: RV50 MKI, R30, AD15, PPC212
And.... Genz Benz Black Pearl 30
Past Orange: AD30TC Combo, TT, AD5

Guitars: Gibson Les Paul Standard Faded, Vigier Expert Retro 54, Gibson SG 70s Tribute, Aria Pro II RS X80, G&L ASAT Special Tribute

Boy_Narf
Orange Master

Post by Boy_Narf » Wed May 09, 2018 12:40 am

The Mesa isn't great, I had one and returned it quick. Check out Amplitube. There is a full Orange amp suite on there and they sound pretty good.

Otherwise screw your neighbours and turn it up :D

Jondog
Duke of Orange

Post by Jondog » Wed May 09, 2018 1:37 am

Les Paul Lover wrote:
Tue May 08, 2018 11:02 pm
Jondog wrote:
Mon May 07, 2018 10:58 pm
Les Paul Lover wrote:

I'm surprised to hear an iso cab would still be such a noisy solution. I admit, I've never tried one, but always thought they were the perfect recording solution for true amp tone without pissing the neighbours off.
Some are better than others. The Jet City one is fairly low priced. The cab itself is solid and decently built. Could be made better with more dampening material. It basically just had sheet cotton stapled around the inside.